Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 8:07:25 AM EDT
My Turkish Mauser's bolt is sticking after firing Turk ammo. I think its the ammo and not the rifle. When I bought the expensive Remington 8mm it fired and ejected fine. If I cycle a round without firing it it ejects smoothly everytime.

This leads me to believe that it is the ammo causing the problem. Does anyone else have trouble with Turk ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the case deforming at all? Neck or rim?

Is he ammo really dirty/corroded?

A quick polish w steel wool will fix #2, but #1 would be headspace, and a reason to NOT shoot it anymore.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to have a Czech Mauser and shot turkish ammo exclusively. I know that my headspace was A-Okay, but I too experienced this issue. I also noticed that the cases leave little specks of brass all over the inside of the action. I believe this to be the issue with the ammunition. Polishing the ammunition will probably fix it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My Turkish Mauser's bolt is sticking after firing Turk ammo. I think its the ammo and not the rifle. When I bought the expensive Remington 8mm it fired and ejected fine. If I cycle a round without firing it it ejects smoothly everytime.

This leads me to believe that it is the ammo causing the problem. Does anyone else have trouble with Turk ammo.

my K98 did the same thing.  I tried my best to polish the inside of the chamber, and it improved, but still stuck on some cartridges.  Part of it was the ammo, part of it was the dried cosmoline in the chamber.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#4]

My Turkish Mauser's bolt is sticking after firing Turk ammo.

Sticky bolt after firing round sounds like a pressure problem to me.

I also noticed that the cases leave little specks of brass all over the inside of the action.

Sounds like brass is flowing into something on boltface and getting scraped off upon bolt opening to me.

I suspect ammo.

Danny

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The case necks are fine before I fire any of the ammo. I checked all the rounds before firing them. After being fired the case necks are cracked/split. I do not think I have a head space issue I think it is the ammo but I am not an expert on Milsurp ammo.

Is firing this ammo a danger? I will try polishing all the remaining ammo I have left and on my next range visit will test it out. Thanks guys for your assistance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The case necks are fine before I fire any of the ammo. I checked all the rounds before firing them. After being fired the case necks are cracked/split. I do not think I have a head space issue I think it is the ammo but I am not an expert on Milsurp ammo.

Is firing this ammo a danger? I will try polishing all the remaining ammo I have left and on my next range visit will test it out. Thanks guys for your assistance.

just get a headspace guage  under 15$ and test it,.
i shoot,, andloveturkish. my M48  stuck afew times,,it wa slike new when i got it.. what i did was  just polish the bolt  and keep shooting, non of my turks hate turk,,or stick up.  best bet have it checked IMHO.. i was in a 8mm buying spree so i have both go and no go gauges.. a no go and filed guage is what you should try,, dont worry about the go gauge.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:03:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i shoot,, andloveturkish. my M48  stuck afew times,,it wa slike new when i got it.. what i did was  just polish the bolt  and keep shooting, non of my turks hate turk,,or stick up.  best bet have it checked IMHO.. i was in a 8mm buying spree so i have both go and no go gauges.. a no go and filed guage is what you should try,, dont worry about the go gauge.

Thanks for the response. Could you or someone enlighten me on the whole process of checking headspace on Mauser rifles. Also where do I find one?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the response. Could you or someone enlighten me on the whole process of checking headspace on Mauser rifles. Also where do I find one?

midway or brownells,,,

to check  you  strip thebolt,, re insert bolt,, put the gauge inthe chmaber and close bolt...  depending on the guage,,  the bolt  shouldnt close,,if it swallows( or closes) on the gauge its outta spec,,,

there are ways  to repair it unless you have total lug set back ect.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Turk ammo is considered by many to be a little on the hot side so pressures may be higher.  For a fact it's more powerful than commercial ammo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
It seems to me there was a particular year that was more problematic (loaded hot). Was it '43? I have a SL of Turk ammo. Haven't shot much of it yet.

X
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:31:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It seems to me there was a particular year that was more problematic (loaded hot). Was it '43? I have a SL of Turk ammo. Haven't shot much of it yet.

X

ive shot 38,42,43,  and one other. inever noticed any hot loads,, just brittle brass or cracks at the neck prior to fireing. icant remeber but while back at a cr site i was on some one chrono'd and pulled the turk rounds,, they are well over and near 3000 fps,, but they are also only 147-154 gr rounds.  They also pulled other 8mm,, and  the powder levels were the same. i perferr turkish over  others,,its just as accurate plus at the time it was super cheap..  cant hardly find it at all now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top