Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2023 12:59:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork]
There are some decent deals on AUG A3's and I thought I might try one out. Is there any thing in particular to look at on these specifically with the receiver?

Does anyone know if these latest receivers are better or worse than the older ones? Are they cast or forged?

I've seen a few posts where guys are complaining about finish and cracks but can't nail down specifics or serial number ranges.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The SME on AUG's hangout in the Bullpup sub-forum, I'd ask the mods to move this post over there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:24:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 80085] [#2]
Originally Posted By 10-8DoWork:
There are some decent deals on AUG A3's and I thought I might try one out. Is there any thing in particular to look at on these specifically with the receiver?

Does anyone know if these latest receivers are better or worse than the older ones? Are they cast or forged?

I've seen a few posts where guys are complaining about finish and cracks but can't nail down specifics or serial number ranges.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

The first A3's sold in the USA had forgings imported from Canada, all Sabre Defence made AUGs use these receivers. Vltor, then later, Abrams made receivers out of the same Canuck forgings passing into the M1 once the A3 was discontinued. Steyr took back receiver making from Abrams and barrel making from FN (sabre defence prior to that) and everything since then is made in house by Steyr. Steyr imported a bunch of cast receivers from SWD who has cast AUG parts since the very beginning of the AUG's manufacture before many of us were born but now they apparently use receivers cast in the USA. The SWD receivers are good but not the same as the forgings.

I suspect people complaining about the finish in the receivers have never owned an original preban gun which were much more rough than what we see today. The current receivers are fine and actually slightly lighter than recent examples of the not so distant past. The underside is usually not nicely finished but you'll never see it if you don't look. FWIW, I have many AUGs and I prefer the cast receivers. I also have a cast BLEM receiver (2020 manufacture) that was an excellent deal because the BLEM is barely noticeable unless under direct lighting...

Comparison picture I took for reference:

Cast "blemished" stripped receiver (blem is the rough surface on this side only):

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I always thought that the original, Steyr manufactured AUG receiver was made from extruded aluminum. Apparently this isn't so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top