Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 2:26:18 PM EDT
Hi guys. My dad needs a handgun (im not old enough yet I turn 19 this Feb.) but He wants somthing that is loaded with safety features and is in the $500 or less range (preferrably less) I found the springfield XD and read up about it on the springfield armory website and it seams to be all that we are looking for. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with any model of this particular handgun? What could you tell me about it that the website cannot? Anyone got a link to any online reviews of this pistol? Id be very thankful for any help you guys can give me.

P.S. now all I have to do is try to convince dad to get somthing bigger than 9mm.
-------

Wolf(the hopeful)AR15.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#1]
There are comments about the XD40 in this thread approximately 1/4 the way down:
Just rented a glock, WOW
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I just held one today. It felt great. The XD is basically the HS 2000 repackaged (both guns are still made in Croatia). The HS setup didn't market well but Springfield has enough muscle to make it move. The XD I held today was chambered for .40 and went for $489 NIB. Seems like a decent gun and I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Edited to add: Here's a link to another conversation on the XD.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=2122
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes!  I have a standard XD9 that is great.  Although I love my Kimber type I 1911 and T-series Browning Hi-Power for their history and classic style, and they are a hair more accurate than the XD/HS200, I have to admit that for reliability, ergonomics, foolproofness, better mags, ease of use and cleaning, etc.  The Crotian made XDs rock.  Cost $400.  You can't go wrong and won't be sorry.  Only drawbacks are 1) It might not be as "safe" as something that you can "lock" (put the safety on, since it doesn't have a thumb safety) and it has essentially a single action trigger.  Also, you can't easily dissasemble the "guts" of the slide (e.g. the firing pin) because it's held togather with a roll pin.  But so far this hasn't been a problem for me (and I don't think) for the majority of owners either.  I just clean it well and blow out the oil with compresed air.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a XD40 and the original import HS2000 in 9mm.  They really are a great and robust gun.
HS2000 & SA-XD talk is a great forum to find out how many others feel about the gun.
They have a great feel in the hand, and the recoil is just plain sweet.  It has turned into my favorite shooter in either caliber.  
Springfield is honoring the warranty on the HS2000 models even though they had no part of the importing of them.  You will be out only shipping.
If you can find a HS2000 (9mm only) go for it.  There are still a few reporting picking them up LNIB for around $300 or less.  And the 9mm is good for +p+ loads.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
What a sexy pistol. Thinking about carrying it concealed.(i HATE exposed hammers in concealed pistols). Was feelin one up at Galyans few days back, very light, very smooth, very natural.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an XD-40 and I love it. I bought it for the same reasons you're looking for one (good price, reliable, good all-around gun).  Get the .40, Bar-Sto is working on a 9mm conversion for it, and you can also put a .357 barrel in it.  I just want somebody to make a .22LR conversion for it and I'll be all set.  

My only complaints are that the finish isn't as good as it could be (starting to wear on the front of the slide and the grip safety), and the already-mentioned fact that the "guts" don't come out very easily for cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I knocked the hell out of a 4"x4" steel plate at 100 yards with one the first time I picked one up on the second round.

Very fine firearm.  I prefer them to Glocks by a wide margin.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Also if you like the long slide Glocks like the 34 and 35, think about an XD tactical, with the 5" barrel.  Nice gun, I really enjoy mine, and seeems to recoil a little less than my G35, of course, it's a wee bit heavier too...:-)
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Tweety (the wife) shot an HS-2000 at the Kentuckiana shoot last autumn. She put about 50 rounds through and decided she wanted one.

She just bought an SA XD-9 4" at the fun show last Sat. She's already put about 50 rounds through the new one this week. We're going to the indoor range tonight to really break it in. I will be posting a range report with pics.

It's a smooth shooter, solid and she picked it up for $409 NIB. For the money, it's better than the Ruger P89.

Apparently the .40 mags work with the 9mm and give you a total of 15 rounds.

Check out www.hs2000talk.com for more info.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a XD 40 Tactical. Love it so much my Ruger P90 is going to be traded in on the XD 45 when it comes out. That'll be 2 XDs in 2 hard hitting calibers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top