Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2009 8:09:38 PM EDT
I know the receiver is investment cast, but how does it really compare to a forged one?  Is it true that the casting is made in Brasil by Imbel?
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a former owner of an SA M1A, I am a current owner
of an LRB Arms M14SA.

I prefer forged over cast.

Link Posted: 8/19/2009 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The receivers are pretty good, the casting is done in the USA.
The 1911 handgun frames are cast in Brazil, assembled here.
The XDs are parts kitted in Croatia and assembled here.
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The receivers are pretty good, the casting is done in the USA.
The 1911 handgun frames are cast Forged in Brazil, some which are finished and assembled here.
The XDs are parts kitted in Made in Croatia and assembled here.

Corrected.

I did type cast in Brazil didn't ?, my bad. the Mil-Spec guns are also supposed to be assembled in Brazil but I have heard conflicting stories about this from guys who have worked or are now working at Spring Inc.
Same guys told me the XDs are Made in Croatia and ASSEMBLED HERE.
They may assemble and test fire in Croatia but the guns are then diassembled into kit form, shipped over, and reassembled here then test fired again.
Import fees are cheaper this way.

I have some personal issues with some of Spring Inc. M1A parts, but the barrels and receivers aren't part of it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am a former owner of an SA M1A, I am a current owner
of an LRB Arms M14SA.

I prefer forged over cast.

I doubt you'll fire it enough to know the difference.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:47:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Forged, cast as long as the heat treatment process is correct you will get a fine receiver.  You mess up on the heat treat and a forged receiver will be a paperweight.  LRB receivers are great but don't buy into the whole forged vs. cast thing.  You will never wear out either that's for sure.  Is the LRB abetter rifle?  Probably, but SAI makes a fine rifle too.  Ignore the anti SAI fanboys here you are probably better served going over to the M14tfl.com forums and asking but just behave yourself the mods over there are very douchy .  This place is where most of the M14 Firing Line banned people hang out like the waking dead
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Just because it is a LRB forged do not assume it is perfect. They have quality control problems  like any manufacturer. I know from personal experience. SAI makes a very good product.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Typically speaking a cast part is around 10% weaker than the same forged part.
Cast parts are normally thicker to compensate for this Thing of Ruger firearms. They are all cast and strong SOB pistols and rifles.

You have M1A that are full auto and have seen more rounds than you will ever purchase in you life time, all on a cast reviver.

eta Years ago they were cast in Wilkes-Barre PA.  I know a few years ago they were cast up in Canada.
All current Springfield Inc. receiver castings as of 1990 come from Alpha Casting, 391 Ste-Croix, St. Laurent, QC, Canada. is this info still current?
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]
The cast receiver was one of the very few parts on my Springfield Scout that was
any good. I used it for a few years before SEI replaced it with a Norinco receiver.

Today, all of my M14s have forged Norinco or Poly Tech receivers.

M14tfl.com .......... very douchy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Years ago they were cast in Wilkes-Barre PA.  I know a few years ago they were cast up in Canada.
All current Springfield Inc. receiver castings as of 1990 come from Alpha Casting, 391 Ste-Croix, St. Laurent, QC, Canada. is this info still current?

Correction: SA, Inc. M1A receivers were cast by Gray-Syracuse, Inc. (Chittenango, NY) from 1973 to 1997.  The M1A receivers were cast by Alpha Casting (St. Laurent, Quebec) for a year, 2003 to 2004.  Today, they are cast outside the United States but not in South America.  M1A receivers were machined by Valley Ordnance Co. (Wilkes-Barre, PA) from 1971 to 1996.  SA, Inc. took over the machining, for a time, after Valley Ordnance went out of business.  In subsequent years, the machining work has been contracted out.  Today, M1A receivers are machined in Illinois but not by SA, Inc.

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Years ago they were cast in Wilkes-Barre PA.  I know a few years ago they were cast up in Canada.

Correction: SA, Inc. M1A receivers were cast by Gray-Syracuse, Inc. (Chittenango, NY) from 1973 to 1997.  The M1A receivers were cast by Alpha Casting (St. Laurent, Quebec) for a year, 2003 to 2004.  Today, they are cast outside the United States but not in South America.  M1A receivers were machined by Valley Ordnance Co. (Wilkes-Barre, PA) from 1971 to 1996.  SA, Inc. took over the machining, for a time, after Valley Ordnance went out of business.  In subsequent years, the machining work has been contracted out.  Today, M1A receivers are machined in Illinois but not by SA, Inc.

It has been a few years since I talked With Al about M1a's
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Al is a great guy!
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#13]
OK Bill, I'm going to toss some stuff out to you, see if this jibes with what you have.

Cast by ARMITerno Fabrica Industrialas, Brescia Italy?
Machined in Colona Illinois?

I did write cast in the USA didn't I?
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#14]
For civilian use, cast is more than adequate.  I trust mine and there are few documented cases of any failures with a cast receiver among hundreds of thousands of rifles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 3:38:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I trust my Spring inc receivers also but casting is different than forging none the less.
Spring Inc just does it better than most.

It isn't a question of receivers cracking or blowing up, the cases are rare and almost every single instance was traced to faulty or careless reloading procedures on the part of the shooter or the reloader who compiled the ammunition.

The questions do arise as to barrel assembly, thread pull and elongation, depth of heat treat at receiver face, depth of heat treat at receiver sight ears, bridge warp, depth of heat treat at support walls, and a few other points that will mean absolute doodly squat to the regular shooter.

Are any of these points something to be concerned with? Absolutely not.
The receiver just won't meet military specifications for this particular component.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 5:01:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:.  Ignore the anti SAI fanboys here you are probably better served going over to the M14tfl.com forums and asking but just behave yourself the mods over there are very douchy .  This place is where most of the M14 Firing Line banned people hang out like the waking dead

I am one of those. A while back I posted about having three SA INC stainless loaded model M1a rifles in my shop with rough chambers. These rifles would not function well until I polished the chambers. This was after two of these were send back to the factory.

They were returned and still would not function.

I was accused of "bashing SA Inc" and banned.

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:.  Ignore the anti SAI fanboys here you are probably better served going over to the M14tfl.com forums and asking but just behave yourself the mods over there are very douchy .  This place is where most of the M14 Firing Line banned people hang out like the waking dead

I am one of those. A while back I posted about having three SA INC stainless loaded model M1a rifles in my shop with rough chambers. These rifles would not function well until I polished the chambers. This was after two of these were send back to the factory.

They were returned and still would not function.

I was accused of "bashing SA Inc" and banned.

Ehm, I will probably be banned then.
I have complained of receiving more than one Olympic UltraMatch stainless steel AR15 barrel with unfinished chambers.
Couple went back for replacement and I finish reamed one for a customer.
The replacements and the one I recut work fine now however,,,,
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an SAI, I think its good to go but forged is the best I do believe, unfortunatley when I assembled the rifle I could not find a forged reciever and went with a SAI. I definatley have not had any issues with iit but I have maybe 900 rounds total on it though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I have been told that SA has a lifetime warranty on their M1As so they must not be all that bad if they are placing that kind of faith in them from a bussiness standpoint.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have been told that SA has a lifetime warranty on their M1As ...

Yes they do and I used the warranty four times with my Scout.

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#21]
i'm sending in my 1982 made M1A NM to SAI because it has one of the bolts that was recalled, even after 25yrs they still will take care of it.  after i get it back i am going to sell it and pick up a Smith ent. forged and lugged receiver to have him build for me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I've owned several M1As over the years. I like them. Only had 1 issue with a poor fitting stock (Heel Gap).  This was corrected by SA.  LRB? Sure, I'd love to have one. I've also checked the prices.  Typically 1K more than an SA.  Worth it? Nope. JMHO
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just because it is a LRB forged do not assume it is perfect. They have quality control problems  like any manufacturer. I know from personal experience. SAI makes a very good product.

Sums it up.

Forged vs. Cast is irrelevent really, how well the forging or casting is FINISH MACHINED is far more critical and important.

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Forged vs. Cast is irrelevent really, how well the forging or casting is FINISH MACHINED is far more critical and important.

+1  the final machining, parts it has on it and that a good gunsmith built it you shouldn't have any problems and with SAI you have a warranty for factory defaults anyway.
also unless your going to take it to war or shoot 100,000+ rounds out of it and just plane beat on it your not going to tell the difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top