Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2006 10:34:34 PM EDT
Is the recent lot of CMP carbines a return from a foreign country, or did the Army just dig some out of storage and hand them over?

Also, any word on if they will have mags?  Did they have mags in the past?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#1]
They came from Italy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They came from Italy.

I thought it was against Federal Law to import US Manufactured military arms once they were exported.  Has this stuuuuuuuuuuupid law been nullified?

ETA:  If YES, then how the heck does a military small arm pass the so called "Sporting Use Test"???  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:54:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, those carbines are more than welcomed here, regardless of where they came from. I mean most of those rifles probably came from the Lend-Lease program, much the same way Garands ended up in Denmark and Greece.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:15:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Loaned is not the equivalent of exporting.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They came from Italy.

You know this as fact?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Ummm, it's not importing if one gov't returns borrowed firearms to our government.  Then the army turns them over to the cmp for disposal.  That's why cmp rifles don't have import marks.....because they're not imports.

and the rumor is they did come from Italy as returns.  I have seen internet rumors that garands came with them and that they're possibly .308 conversions as used by Italy.

Of course I surf 6 boards to find good rumors.

SoS
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I know nothing about carbines.   I need to get educated before i truck out to annistion the first weekend the carbines are available!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ummm, it's not importing if one gov't returns borrowed firearms to our government.  Then the army turns them over to the cmp for disposal.  That's why cmp rifles don't have import marks.....because they're not imports.

and the rumor is they did come from Italy as returns.  I have seen internet rumors that garands came with them and that they're possibly .308 conversions as used by Italy.

SoS

So when can we expect the great CMP surplus of Viet-Nam era M16's????  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SoS

So when can we expect the great CMP surplus of Viet-Nam era M16's????  

i'd love to see the surplus of parts, but i doubt it's going to happen.  I've personally taken part in the de-miling process for old M16 uppers, so I know the .mil is destroying them.  I'd love to get my hands on a slick side upper with triangle grips and a 3 prong FH, just like the ones I helped destroy, but I doubt that'll ever happen. Part of it is that most old M16's were upgraded to A2's and beyond.  It's not like the garand where it was an intact rifle and you got what you had.  Part of the reason the M16 family has been our service rifle for comming up on 40 years is because you can upgrade part of it without having to field a whole new rifle.  Uncle sam is much less squeamish about destroying old parts than he is about destroying fully functioning rifles
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They came from Italy.

I thought it was against Federal Law to import US Manufactured military arms once they were exported.  Has this stuuuuuuuuuuupid law been nullified?

ETA:  If YES, then how the heck does a military small arm pass the so called "Sporting Use Test"???  

Not for the Army.  The CMP can sell all of the leagal fire arms the Army gives them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#11]
they said on the cmp board that they are from USGU Army depot, no Italy or any other foregin country.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone want to speculate at the pricing on these carbines? Grades etc.? I have 2 Garands and would like to have one of these as an addition. Got until March it looks like to save up for one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Anyone want to speculate at the pricing on these carbines? Grades etc.? I have 2 Garands and would like to have one of these as an addition. Got until March it looks like to save up for one.

my WAG on it is $500 +/- $100 depending on grade and manufacturer
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I imagine after the CMP weeds through them they will end up with a fair amount of stripped receivers and various sundry spare parts. Either way, I'm getting a carbine or two, and any other carbine products they will be offering.

I believe the army has been warehousing these rifles for the last 30 years for the sole purpose of having readily available weapons to lend to a foreign country should the need arise.

Or, they came from Italy...
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They came from Italy.

the CMP is an exempt organization
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't count on march.  I'll bet by Feb or sooner.  Like happened with the IHC last year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I wouldn't count on march.  I'll bet by Feb or sooner.  Like happened with the IHC last year.

i'm hopign they have them at the south store by feb.  i'm moving to TX at the end of that month, and would love to go to CMP south and grab a carbine or two before I go.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They came from Italy.

You know this as fact?  Just curious.

Source?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#19]
"There have not been any carbines remaining in Army inventory for some years. Any carbines we get now or in the future will be from someplace overseas. This also includes future Garands if any. In some cases we will know the country, and in some we won't."
- Orest Michaels 12/30/06

Ask Orest.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, regardless of where they come from; I'm planning to form up a group of ARFCOMmers for a road trip, or a "Pilgrimage" of sorts, from Florida to Alabama to get some M1 carbines once they are available for sale.

Just IM me if you are in FL and you are interested.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Heard Italy also today. The guy is usually in the know.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#22]
No one on this board knows where they are coming from/came from.  We will all find out when CMP releases the info no matter how much someone is "in the know".

When I hear from someone at CMP where they came from, then I will know where they came from.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
No one on this board knows where they are coming from/came from.  We will all find out when CMP releases the info no matter how much someone is "in the know".

When I hear from someone at CMP where they came from, then I will know where they came from.

AMEN!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:29:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Now the CMP discussion board is speculating that the Carbines came from Korea. If they are anything like the Bluesky's from the 80's...

Hey, just thought I take my turn working the rumor mill.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I heard from a friend (which makes it a rumor) that the M1 Carbines are in fact from Korea and that they are stripped down and stored in 55 gallon drums filled with oil.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I heard from a friend (which makes it a rumor) that the M1 Carbines are in fact from Korea and that they are stripped down and stored in 55 gallon drums filled with oil kimchee juice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag for reference
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#28]
They came from the Good Ole US of A.

DUH.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top