Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2021 8:38:23 PM EDT
Long A's pointer, then both A and B in triple click? The powers are all the same up to that point? Really?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Edit:  Nevermind I was dumb.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would have to double check, but that sounds correct.

What sounds wrong about this?

~Augee
View Quote

Just seems either under powered DA or powerful C1 for all those settings at face value. I would have thought all settings would be a little more powerful on everything with the DA. I was just weighing between the option of having my department order a DA or me just buying a C1 and it doesn't seem like it is worth the 120+ day wait or extra money for the DA if that's all is different
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Technically the big difference is programming since mechanically they are the same.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Technically the big difference is programming since mechanically they are the same.
View Quote

This makes the ham radio nerd in me wonder how hard it is to hotrod the firmware.

I compared a C1+ and a D at a class, the difference was mostly academic. Both outperformed the "full power" Perst that was there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just seems either under powered DA or powerful C1 for all those settings at face value. I would have thought all settings would be a little more powerful on everything with the DA. I was just weighing between the option of having my department order a DA or me just buying a C1 and it doesn't seem like it is worth the 120+ day wait or extra money for the DA if that's all is different
View Quote

A couple of us use MAWLs for LE and have never run into a spot where we thought we needed a DA model. This is with a combination of city and county lighting. Sorry, can't add to the question of difference between the models.

Edit: some of the other dudes have some full powered stuff (mainly peq's) and they are clearly more powerful, but in practice, I don't think they do the job is well as the MAWL.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#8]
It was a little confusing watching GarandThumb's video where he says the DA is much brighter and strong on the lower settings too, but BE Meyers says they're the same.

B.E. Meyers MAWL, the best IR device for NVG's

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It was a little confusing watching GarandThumb's video where he says the DA is much brighter and strong on the lower settings too, but BE Meyers says they're the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TLLXOpknd8

https://bemeyers.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/e4d64343b1bc593f1c5348fe05efa4a6/m/a/mawl-c1_.png

https://bemeyers.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/e4d64343b1bc593f1c5348fe05efa4a6/m/a/mawl-da.png
View Quote

The video was posted Feb 2020.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The video was posted Feb 2020.
View Quote

That's what is confusing. So with the new updates they've equalized the outputs except the mentioned settings?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]
So I guess the question is now, anyone know of a retailer that can beat a price of $2599 shipped (no tax) for a new tan C1+?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I guess the question is now, anyone know of a retailer that can beat a price of $2599 shipped (no tax) for a new tan C1+?
View Quote

Just do it. Probably the best price we'll see from a retailer.

I don't regret paying full price for mine earlier this year.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The DA also has a 1.5 mW aiming laser on the LR-A setting versus the 0.7 mW cap on the C1+

Once you get past the "I'm so cool because I have something I'm not supposed to have" phase, the DA and the C1+ are not all that significantly different for most people's uses except for that top end.

The reality is that for what most people do, even standard power 45 & 50 mW IR illuminators are overkill if you're not shooting belt feds, conducting fire control and maneuver over hundreds of meters or designating targets, nevermind the "HP" (85-100 mW, e.g., LA-5B/D) or "UHP" (165-200 mW, e.g., LA-5C/E) stuff.

Granted, Class I edge emitting diodes are pretty paltry, however the MAWL-C1+s VCSEL illuminator is in a different class than something like the ATPIAL-C or DBAL-A3 Class I, which, IMHO, are still good lasers as long as you keep aware of their limitations, but the MAWL-C1+ frankly hangs with and in many cases exceeds some Class III units from a performance standpoint, especially in the Short and Mid Range modes where you neither want or need the eyeball burning performance--even with something like an LA-5E UHP, even if I'm using it on a "dual high" setting, the illuminator divergence is usually set much wider than 2-4 degrees unless I'm really trying to reach out.

To answer your question directly, and having MAWL-DAs as well as C1+s, unless you're doing cartel interdiction on the Southern border or something else equally unusual in the context of LE work, I would say that the C1+ will more than do the job.

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The DA also has a 1.5 mW aiming laser on the LR-A setting versus the 0.7 mW cap on the C1+

Once you get past the "I'm so cool because I have something I'm not supposed to have" phase, the DA and the C1+ are not all that significantly different for most people's uses except for that top end.

The reality is that for what most people do, even standard power 45 & 50 mW IR illuminators are overkill if you're not shooting belt feds, conducting fire control and maneuver over hundreds of meters or designating targets, nevermind the "HP" (85-100 mW, e.g., LA-5B/D) or "UHP" (165-200 mW, e.g., LA-5C/E) stuff.

Granted, Class I edge emitting diodes are pretty paltry, however the MAWL-C1+s VCSEL illuminator is in a different class than something like the ATPIAL-C or DBAL-A3 Class I, which, IMHO, are still good lasers as long as you keep aware of their limitations, but the MAWL-C1+ frankly hangs with and in many cases exceeds some Class III units from a performance standpoint, especially in the Short and Mid Range modes where you neither want or need the eyeball burning performance--even with something like an LA-5E UHP, even if I'm using it on a "dual high" setting, the illuminator divergence is usually set much wider than 2-4 degrees unless I'm really trying to reach out.

To answer your question directly, and having MAWL-DAs as well as C1+s, unless you're doing cartel interdiction on the Southern border or something else equally unusual in the context of LE work, I would say that the C1+ will more than do the job.

~Augee

@TNVC_Augee

Not to derail but, there certainly is a important element of performance missing from my full power Perst3 that I would like to know if the MAWL fills.

Update: ***Turned out to be user error on my part***

The perst is basically great for everything except what I consider to be my most likely use regarding distance. Which is:

A somewhat open area between 50-100 yards where I want a relatively wide but defined spill or coverage with the illuminator. If the MAWLs mid setting gives a wide coverage of IR at this distance, I would likely consider buying one (for other known reasons as well)

Right now I am dealing with an extremely tight and overwhelmingly bright hot spot of an illuminator that is far from ideal (even on the lowest power settings) and only covers around 4-8 yards in width @ 100 yards at the widest adjustment setting. I would prefer something closer to 15-30 yards of coverage in width at that distance. I think this would really open up my situational awareness under NODs when hunting (or potentially defending myself)

I will also mention that I am using a Filmless system, so the low light performance of my 14 is not really the issue.

Do both new and old versions of MAWL remedy the above issue, and which would be more ideal for my intended purpose?
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#15]
The width of spill on the MAWL at 100 yards on medium range setting and button B (10 deg) should be about 17.5 yards with 13 mW of IR illumination.  On long range setting button B (10 deg), it should be the same width (17.5 yards)  at 65 mW of IR illum.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just do it. Probably the best price we'll see from a retailer.

I don't regret paying full price for mine earlier this year.
View Quote

I did. Too good of a price right now for in stock FDE, brand new, newest generation.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks @TDunn for doing some of the math for me.

Honestly I'd think that either would do a great job for you--however which is "better" might somewhat depend on your application.

Again, I don't think you can go wrong with either beam divergence pattern, but if we really had to split these hairs:

You mentioned that you're in a "somewhat" open area, but defining that a little further might be helpful.

If you're in tall brush and/or shooting low to the ground, I would probably recommend the newer (post June 2021) version.

If you're hunting and "living" almost exclusively in the mid-ranges, as I've mentioned elsewhere, the combined 16o and 4o illuminator pattern may be preferable, especially if groups of animals may scatter and you want to be able to track them better for potential follow-up shots.

At 100 yards the 16o illuminator would cover ~28.11 yards, with a ~6.98 yard "hot spot" in the center with the aiming laser from the 4o illuminator.

This will be most effective if you're in more open areas, and shooting from a higher position, e.g., a tripod, from the top of a vehicle, etc., if you're low to the ground, the splash-back from the 16o can get a little distracting, though again, I'd never found it to be an insurmountable issue prior to the change.  

I believe we do have some NOS "old" MAWL-C1+s currently if someone is interested in one and would prefer the older beam divergences to the newer ones.

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TNVC_Augee

Not to derail but, there certainly is a important element of performance missing from my full power Perst3 that I would like to know if the MAWL fills.

The perst is basically great for everything except what I consider to be my most likely use regarding distance. Which is:

A somewhat open area between 50-100 yards where I want a relatively wide but defined spill or coverage with the illuminator. If the MAWLs mid setting gives a wide coverage of IR at this distance, I would likely consider buying one (for other known reasons as well)

Right now I am dealing with an extremely tight and overwhelmingly bright hot spot of an illuminator that is far from ideal (even on the lowest power settings) and only covers around 4-8 yards in width @ 100 yards at the widest adjustment setting. I would prefer something closer to 15-30 yards of coverage in width at that distance. I think this would really open up my situational awareness under NODs when hunting (or potentially defending myself)

I will also mention that I am using a Filmless system, so the low light performance of my 14 is not really the issue.

Do both new and old versions of MAWL remedy the above issue, and which would be more ideal for my intended purpose?

Thanks @TDunn for doing some of the math for me.

Honestly I'd think that either would do a great job for you--however which is "better" might somewhat depend on your application.

Again, I don't think you can go wrong with either beam divergence pattern, but if we really had to split these hairs:

You mentioned that you're in a "somewhat" open area, but defining that a little further might be helpful.

If you're in tall brush and/or shooting low to the ground, I would probably recommend the newer (post June 2021) version.

If you're hunting and "living" almost exclusively in the mid-ranges, as I've mentioned elsewhere, the combined 16o and 4o illuminator pattern may be preferable, especially if groups of animals may scatter and you want to be able to track them better for potential follow-up shots.

At 100 yards the 16o illuminator would cover ~28.11 yards, with a ~6.98 yard "hot spot" in the center with the aiming laser from the 4o illuminator.

This will be most effective if you're in more open areas, and shooting from a higher position, e.g., a tripod, from the top of a vehicle, etc., if you're low to the ground, the splash-back from the 16o can get a little distracting, though again, I'd never found it to be an insurmountable issue prior to the change.  

I believe we do have some NOS "old" MAWL-C1+s currently if someone is interested in one and would prefer the older beam divergences to the newer ones.

~Augee

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Thanks @TDunn as well

(The “issue” with my personal LAM turned out to be complete user error, and was cleared up in a different thread)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top