Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 9:17:08 PM EDT
I have been told that Blue Sky import guns were Korean War battlefield pick ups that were reimported from the Koreans.  I can't help but wonder if they were "left" on the battlefield because the American carrying it would no longer be needing a rifle.    I know that it is possible the GI that carried a CMP rifle gave his all, but doesn't it seem that the Blue Sky's all but guarantee that?  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you're reading a little much into it.

Now a bringback Luger, K98, Arisaka, etc was almost certainly acquired from somebody who didn't need it any more.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The Koreans used the Garands for a long time.
Most likely, they belonged to some Korean Army soldier.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Koreans used the Garands for a long time.
Most likely, they belonged to some Korean Army soldier.

+1.

These rifles weren't "battlefield pickups". They were military aid to the South Korean armed forces. I spent some time in Korea with the USMC. I saw shit loads of ROK military with M1/M2 carbines. I saw what I can only describe as Korean National Guard (don't know what they were called) armed with M1's. That was from 1984 to 1985.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Glad to hear all that.  It might be a my own bias, but the idea of a battlefield pick up coming from someone on the "other side" who no longer needed it did not bother me nearly as much as an American having lost there own little part of the war.  Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]
A little while back I read a great story about a huge battle between our forces and the Chinese during one horrible winter storm.  Our guys were being hammered but were eventually reinforced, saving the survivors.   In the end, both sides pulled back after sustaining large casualties.  As was the drill, the Chinese and US forces scavenged the battlefield picking up what ever was still serviceable to their side.  Surprisingly, neither side picked up the M1 Carbines.  Evidentially neither side wanted them as it wasn't a very popular rifle because of the cartridge.  Just remembered this little tidbit as I read your post and thought I'd share it with you.

Rome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top