Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2013 12:36:26 AM EDT
Hello, Long time lurker but first time poster!

My RCBS FL non-carbide sizing die is leaving these miniscule vertical scratches (I can't feel them with my fingers) about a 1/4 inch up from the very bottom of the case all the way up to the top, except the neck isn't scratched at all. I have cleaned the hell out the sizing die and checked the vent hole many times. The cases fit fine in the case gauge. Couple of questions:

1.Is it normal for the sizing die to not size all the way to the bottom of the brass body?
2. Will the brass be ok to keep using?

First picture has SIZED brass on the left, and UNSIZED brass on the right. It's kind of hard to see the scratches go all the way in the pictures, but if you look at them in the light they are clearly visible.
http://i.imgur.com/p7SSQXYl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sUogwP1l.jpg

I recently decided to start reloading, so I did tons of reading online and went through some reloading books. I ended up buying a Hornady LNL AP (some people say they shouldn't start out with an AP but I'm using it as a single stage until I feel comfortable with all the steps one at a time before I go all out) and am loading .223 for my AR. Other than this problem everything so far has been going great!
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
What lube are you using?  Get some Flitz, a section of cleaning rod, a gun cleaning swap that's just snug and a drill.  Polish away.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Hornady One Shot... I've heard hit and miss reviews about it but it was the only thing available locally at the time. I'll try the drill thing tomorrow for sure, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the same issue a couple weeks back.  Could not find Flitz, but normal rubbing compound will work too.
Mine was also up in the neck sizing area too, so this process will clean that up too.

Apparently too much lube or a lot of use will get grit up in the die and cause scratches.

I am going to start cleaning them more often myself.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Brass should be cleaned prior to resizing.

One Shot works great for straight walled handgun brass, not so great with rifle brass.

Once a case is forced through a die without enough lube it can leave brass galling inside the die. Copper solvet, metal polish, jewler's rouge or rubbing coumpound and elbo grease will remove it as already suggested.

I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax exclusively for rifle brass. Very little is needed and I have never had any issues.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What lube are you using?  Get some Flitz, a section of cleaning rod, a gun cleaning swap that's just snug and a drill.  Polish away.
View Quote
First post... only I've used JB's Bore Paste... Brownells carries it.  Once you get brass sticking to the die surface, it will attract more brass and the problem will just get worse until you remove the offending brass from the die.  Spin the patch/cleaning rod at a moderate speed until the dies is warm to the touch. May need to repeat eventually.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Scotch Brite the die every now and then, it helps to hold scratching to a minimum.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Make sure brass is clean before sizing.  It's normal that your brass shows sizing stopping in that area. The brass doesn't expand, at least not much, in the thick head area and starts expanding where the thick taper of the base meets the sidewalls of the case.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes. Brass galled to inside of die. Another polishing agent you can use is right in your bathroom. Tooth paste. I have used it many times.

Anybody familiar with Mosin Nagants knows what "sticky bolt syndrome" is. I have polished at least a few Mosin Nagant chambers with a tight fitting patch and tooth paste.

It's actually a cleaning process more than a polishing process. This is also the case with most dies. Clean out the gulled brass and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#10]
one shot is garbage. for rifle cases you want imperial sizing wax or homemade lanolin+alcohol.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the helpful info guys! Bad news is one of my cases got stuck in the sizing die earlier and it's in there real good haha.

I'll report back with the results when I get it out and polish out the inside of the die along with making some of that homemade case lube.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

one shot is garbage. for rifle cases you want imperial sizing wax or homemade lanolin+alcohol.
View Quote
Only to people who can't (or won't?) follow simple directions.

Imperial sizing wax is great... for a single stage press.  Not so hot for a progressive.  The lanolin & isopropyl is good, it's cheap, and it works with single stage and progressive press'.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Imperial sizing wax is great... for a single stage press.  Not so hot for a progressive.  The lanolin & isopropyl is good, it's cheap, and it works with single stage and progressive press'.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 to One Shot being Ok when directions followed.

I've been reloading just over a year and used One Shot exclusively

with no issues. My problem was over-lubing which made a mess of die.

Switched to RCBS spray lube, followed directions to use cookie sheet

instead of loading block for applying, and results are great and I'm

using a lot less lube.

Like everything, following directions is critical to success.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 3:03:48 AM EDT
[#16]
+2 on the One Shot. It works great if you use it correctly.

I don't understand how so many people(not just the new guys who are figuring things out) can read a book and start making their own ammunition, but they can't read the directions on the side of a can.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 3:41:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I must be the only antique out there who still uses the RCBS lube pad!
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone who uses spray lube (lyman, oneshot etc) has never resized machine gun fired 308.
It will absolutely require heavier lube. I prefer the RCBS pad.
That said, i use spray lube on AR fired 556 ammo due to its ease of application.

Heavier (read thicker) lube will minimize the scratches.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#19]
i have always used a lube pad.

imperial sizing wax rules. that stuff works great.

i use it all the time.

just dont over do it and clean you dies now and again in very hot water and a old toothbrush
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I still use the RCBS pad and RCBS Lube, can be a little messy/heavy for the first couple rounds but works great.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#21]
One Shot and .308 .mil brass is asking for trouble.  I use the RCBS lube on a pad for this, but to reduce case neck tension/stretching when sizing, I spray One Shot on a Q-Tip and swab the inside of the case neck.  A quick twist of a .30 cal. brush to clean up and done.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It looks like there are at least 4 of us.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, there are five of us!  
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make it 6 LOL. Up until a few years ago I would lube the inside of the neck with the nylon neck brush. You roll the brush on the pad to pick up lube. I would do 1 in 3 or what ever kept things smooth.

I now use the Imperial dry lube for the necks which I like better because it lubes both the inside and outside of the neck. Yes it gets on the pad but that don't bother me.

I use spent primer trays to work new lube into the pad. The hard plastic edge is also great for scraping off the excess and the dirt that comes with it.

Yes I'm a single stage user.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Now 7 of us oldies.  

I use the wet tumbler method of brass cleaning, then the lube pad and resize on a Rock Chucker.  

After resizing, I throw the cases into the vibratory tumbler with pet litter media, to clean off the lube.  

I have tried the Imperial, but for me, it just seems easier to use the pad and neck brush.  

Been loading since 1972 and never stuck a case, using the RCBS pad and lube.

ETA: Finally! A use for the empty primer trays.  Got a bunch I'll have to try that with.  Always something new to learn, no matter how long you have been at it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
ETA: Finally! A use for the empty primer trays.  Got a bunch I'll have to try that with.  Always something new to learn, no matter how long you have been at it.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. Never thought of using a discarded primer tray for anything, this is an outstanding idea.

I've been loading on my Rockchucker since '78 or '79, only graduated to a Dillon 650 about two years ago. Build my pistol competition ammo on the Dillon while all rifle loads and any handgun test loads are built on the single stage.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I use spent primer trays to work new lube into the pad. The hard plastic edge is also great for scraping off the excess and the dirt that comes with it.

View Quote

nice.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
+2 on the One Shot. It works great if you use it correctly.

I don't understand how so many people(not just the new guys who are figuring things out) can read a book and start making their own ammunition, but they can't read the directions on the side of a can.

View Quote

i always followed the instructions to a T. degreased & lubed my die with it, and used a loading block. got all the sides covered and inside the case necks.

one shot lubricity simply sucks compared to imperial sizing wax or lanolin+alcohol. the difference is huge. one shot is also really expensive.

why bother with inferior, more expensive product? unless you like to piss away money.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:06:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Alright so it took a while to get the items I needed but I got the case removed and polished it out with my dremel and some polishing agent. I also ended up making the homemade lubricant (lanolin/99% rubbing alcohol) and it works amazingly! I have sized hundreds of brass now and I haven't had any hung up/stuck cases.

As far as the scratches, the brass came out perfect after polishing, but after a couple hundred sizings the brass started to get slight scratches again. Guess I'll polish it out once more and make sure the brass is extra clean.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i always followed the instructions to a T. degreased & lubed my die with it, and used a loading block. got all the sides covered and inside the case necks.

one shot lubricity simply sucks compared to imperial sizing wax or lanolin+alcohol. the difference is huge. one shot is also really expensive.

why bother with inferior, more expensive product? unless you like to piss away money.
View Quote

I don't, and I didn't mean for my post to read that way.

Before I started using the good stuff (Frankeford then bootleg) I used One Shot. I never had a case get stuck.

I too prefer the bootleg stuff, but because it's so easy to use. No loading blocks to clean lube off of, no spray angle to worry about, and a little bit goes a long way in a zip-lock bag.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top