Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2002 5:18:09 PM EDT
I'm needing an inexpensive first shotgun.  Gonna do me some dove scaring (I might hit one or two).

Looking at an 870 express. Cheap, dependable.  

Also saw a beretta 390 auto, and a fausi over under for around $500.  Any opinions would be helpful.  

Oh, definately 12 ga.  

What do you guys think?
Other suggestions helpfula abd appreciated.

Thanks

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an 870 express 12 gauge supermag.  It works great, but my next shotgun will be O/U for shooting clays.

What is your intended use?
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the 870, take care of it and you will give it to your kids before it breaks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the 870.  They are a great reliable gun.  Get one and bring over some dove
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
gunman, clays and dove, no particular need, just a want.  Thats why I'm thinking 870.

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I say Benelli Nova.

All the good features and then some, all for a good price.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The 870 is a good choice for a first buy. It's hard to go wrong with any Remington shotgun. They're time proven and hold/increase in value. I'd say go for it but would recommend the Wingmaster model over the Express in the 870 class for future trading/selling value. Later on if you decide you like the Rem line you can move up to an 1100 or 1187 autoloader. I prefer wood stocks over synthetic for value and asthetic reasons. Some good advice is to go with a 3 inch chamber over the standard 2-3/4. This allows you the option of using magnums of different sorts for geese. A 3-1/2 chamber isn't necessary unless you plan to hunt turkey. Buying a 3-1/2 inch in some brands (not Rem) won't allow the use of 2-3/4 shells because they don't have the ooomph to cycle the action. As for autoloaders & sporting clays I would go with Beretta over Beneli. NIB Berettas are more expensive than Remingtons. Just my opinion. WB

Rem 870 Wingmaster

Rem 1100 Sporting 12

Beretta 391 Urika
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The 870 is a great pump. But if you plan to shoot clays, I'd seriously consider the AL390.

The 390 is a gas autoloader, which will dampen the recoil. Normally hunters don't really shoot that many rounds but clay shooters shoot tons so after a while recoil does enter into the picture.

If you plan to use it for hunting and/or defense only then I'd go with the 870...hope that helps...ECS
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm needing an inexpensive first shotgun.  Gonna do me some dove scaring (I might hit one or two).

Also saw a beretta 390 auto, and a fausi over under for around $500.  Any opinions would be helpful.  

Oh, definately 12 ga.  

What do you guys think?

Thanks

TXLEWIS

If you can afford the 390 then get it over the other two.  In fact, the Berreta 390 or 391 is the way to go over most other auto loaders.

Here is why.  The most important thing about a shotgun is that it must fit. It also needs to shoot were you are looking.

On the Beretta shotguns, the stock is fully adjustable for cast, length of pull, and comb height.  The shotgun will come with a few spacers that are used to set the stock up to each  shooter.  If needed, you could also have a spacer made if the factory ones are not to your liking.   Butt pads are offered in a few different thickness and can be changed out with the need to be fitted per pad.  The stock comb can be lowered or raised to make the point of impact shoot were you are looking.  No more having to either hold the bead high or lower than what is your normal view point.

As of current, no one has offered a better shotgun that can be fitted to a shooter with out the use of a stock maker or gun smith!!!

P.S. I am also a huge fan of their over and unders. But that's due to a different reason.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, definately 12 ga.  

What do you guys think?

Thanks

TXLEWIS

If you can afford the 390 then get it over the other two.  In fact, the Berreta 390 or 391 is the way to go over most other auto loaders.

Here is why.  The most important thing about a shotgun is that it must fit. It also needs to shoot were you are looking.

On the Beretta shotguns, the stock is fully adjustable for cast, length of pull, and comb height.  The shotgun will come with a few spacers that are used to set the stock up to each  shooter.  If needed, you could also have a spacer made if the factory ones are not to your liking.   Butt pads are offered in a few different thickness and can be changed out with the need to be fitted per pad.  The stock comb can be lowered or raised to make the point of impact shoot were you are looking.  No more having to either hold the bead high or lower than what is your normal view point.

As of current, no one has offered a better shotgun that can be fitted to a shooter with out the use of a stock maker or gun smith!!!

P.S. I am also a huge fan of their over and unders. But that's due to a different reason.

Hope this helps.

I agree 100% with getting the 390 or prefferably the 391. the wife and shoot on average 20,000 12 ga rounds a year the over/unders were starting to wear on us a little.  Now that we have made the change we shoot a lot more and our scores are climbing.

Edited to add.

I have the AL391 The wife got the Benelli Montefeltro.  Both are great guns.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Kuryakyn,  What o/u where you shooting?

The single reason that I like Beretta's are the fact that the receivers are are lower profile. The lower profile keeps the muzzle from climbing like that of the browning.  Also, the Beretta's feel more alive than the Remingtons, which seem to swing like a fence post.

On my skeet guns, I sent them off to Mag-a-port and had them straight line ported(11).  The 12 gauge feels the same as when I'm running 28 gauge tubes, just louder. I still love the 390 but hate to chase hulls.  Don't get me wrong, I have a 390 clay that was built up(Briley) and like it very much, it's just that I also own a PW 950 and chasing hulls during practice is right out since I reload all my shells.

Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]
The wife and I got each other 391 for our wedding gifts to eachother and love them, There are many types of 391 however, do some research.  I also have a 870 super mag express and use it for Turkeys, They are a great first shotgun until you want to shot a lot, a sore shoulder.  The 391 are great for skeet, trap, hunting, but for sporting clays the are a must. O/u in sporting clays two different chokes are a plus but after 250 rounds....

Hope this helps,
Ryan
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Kuryakyn,  What o/u where you shooting?

The single reason that I like Beretta's are the fact that the receivers are are lower profile. The lower profile keeps the muzzle from climbing like that of the browning.  Also, the Beretta's feel more alive than the Remingtons, which seem to swing like a fence post.

On my skeet guns, I sent them off to Mag-a-port and had them straight line ported(11).  The 12 gauge feels the same as when I'm running 28 gauge tubes, just louder. I still love the 390 but hate to chase hulls.  Don't get me wrong, I have a 390 clay that was built up(Briley) and like it very much, it's just that I also own a PW 950 and chasing hulls during practice is right out since I reload all my shells.

Wife and I started with a Browning 425 then went to a K-80. Shot it for about a year then I picked up the Synthetic 391 for duck hunting.  I took it to the sporting clays course to get used to it. Never touched the O/U's again until I sold them. Took the 391 to mag-na-port had it ported also, They are only a couple miles from me. :-) it looks cool but I couldn't tell the difference until I swithed to 7/8 oz loads.  I've gotten probably 15 other new shooters into Sporting clays in the past 5 - 6 years and everyone of them now has a AL391 Except the wife. I have two of them myself. The synthetic foor hunting and the AL 391 Gold Sporting (Silver Receiver)for all the clay games. They cycle everything from 7/8 oz loads @ 1100 fps to 3" Mags without changing a thing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Check out the Mossberg 590- It's dependable, strong, and won't break your wallet.  It's Parkerized, with a really solid polymer stock. Feels much more solid than the Benelli Nova, and tighter action too.-And it has a BAYONET LUG AND HEAT SHIELD!
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Guys, I appreciate you help and input.  Any more info would still be appreciated.  Have to check my budget, I don't want my first dove hunt to cost over $700.00

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd get the 870.

It's the simplest, most dependable, and the easiest to disassemble.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Guys, I appreciate you help and input.  Any more info would still be appreciated.  Have to check my budget, I don't want my first dove hunt to cost over $700.00

TXLEWIS

Go for the 870. I have one and a rem 1100, I use the 870 in 20 ga for dove every year, love it.

Also check out the local pawn shops, 870's are to be has very cheap, very hard to wear out... fullclip
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Tex if you wanna go cheap, go the 870 route -- I ocassionally hunt with my Dad's 870 -- he bought it 50 years ago if that tells you anything about the shotgun.  

I mainly hunt with a Berretta AL 390 (not the new 391 that is out now).  It handles better than any shotgun I have ever held.  You can find some pretty good deals on that model now -- a buddy bought the 390 synthetic stock at wallymart -- I forget what he paid exactly but it was a deal.

Good luck and cook um Mex style -- brest um out, role meat around a slice of onion, and Jalapeno and wrap with bacon and stab the lot with a toothpick and cook on grill --- only way to go, trust me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Remington 870 Express Super Magnum...Combo if you can.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Although all of my shotguns are Benelli, I also suggest the remington 870. They are inexpensive, simple, and last forever.

My brother has had one since we were kids and it still works great. I've never met anyone that abuses firearms like he does, not to mention it has probably never been cleaned.  The way he treats firearms makes me cringe (he's a safe shooter, just doesn't know what the word "maintenance" means). I've cleaned and fixed a few of his guns, including a Marlin model 60 that was so dirty when I disassembled it that all the internal parts were completely packed with powder residue and dirt. None of the firing mechanism parts could even move!

Anyway, I've never had to touch his 870 and it still runs perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

TXLEWIS

Wallmart is caring Beretta, you might want to check the prices there first, then shop around at the local ranges and gun shops to see if any one has a lower price.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Go ahead and get an 870...
It will do everything you need it to do...

I've got the 3-1/2" supermag, and it works fine for shooting trap...

An expensive shotgun won't make you a better shooter...
You'll feel better missing with a cheap gun...

I've had several perfect rounds with the 'ole turkey gun...
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for the 870.  Especially since you mention inexpensive.  I've got the 3" chamber and feel it will shoot anything I have the need to.

I've picked up most of the other pumps and think the 870 is definitely the most solid and best feeling in my hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top