Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 2:01:57 AM EDT
Here's mine.

A couple of years ago, I bought a brand new Benelli nova tactical with ghost ring sights. I go shooting with several friends. My friend, Brian had never shot a weapon in his life at this point in his life. Well. He's about my build(5'10 160), but works out quite a bit. Well, he was afraid to shoot the benelli. I decided to demonstrate with light target loads. I shot about 25 or so shells before demonstrating proper shotgun useage to him. At this point, I loaded a 3 1/2" turkey load when his back was turned. He shouldered the shotgun and aimed it at a sapling. What I heard next was the boom, then the clack from my shotgun hitting the ground, and a long string of obscenities. Suffice to say, for my weapons sake, I haven't done this since.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:04:36 AM EDT
[#1]
When my step dad was younger his dad too him shooting, they brought the little brother along. He had never shot a shotgun before and tehy told him it out be better to hold off of his shoulder, for the recoil. He was prob about 12 and a little guy, knocked him on his ass.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I remeber the first time I introduced my younger brother to using a shotgun.

He was about 9 or 10 years old and he was with me when I was parcticing skeet shooting with my
20 gauge Mossberg 500. I figured that he would want to shoot too so I had brought along a 410 of the same make.  Well I fired off a few rounds (20-25) and he sarted demanding a turn so I set a couple of skeets on a dirt bank a little less than 25 yds away loaded the 410 and let him fire it off.

He said he wanted to use "the big boy gun" a.k.a. my 20 gauge I told him that he was a little small for it but he kept whining so I caved.hinking.gif  I put another skeet on the bank in the same place and loaded the 20 gauge helped him steady it... he pulled the trigger and I'll give him this he stayyed on his feet.

Then he starts cryinghim"You did good for a first try" and he replies that hes not hurt hes mad because he missed!!!!!!!!hock.gif

I turn around and look and the skeet is completely untouched.

I look at him and say "Well we cant have that now can we." and hand the 410 he smiles and turn it into dust at which point a clap and ask him to help pack the gear..
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]
took someone for their first time with a 12. they showed some concern for recoil, so i suggested they lean flat back against the barn. well, i think the rest of the story is clear.

the good news is that ive yet to hear another complaint or concern about recoil when firing a new gun. apparently its better to deal in your own way with your fear than ask me for help.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's another I just thought about, it's not mine, but here goes. Several years ago I was at a dicks sporting goods in northern Ohio. The guy behind the counter was talking about his friend, a shotgun instructor.  I guess one of the students was recoil shy towards a 20 gauge. Well, the instructor decided that he wanted to demonstrate that the shottie was a baby to shoot, so he placed the butt against his nose. The gun store guy said that he put a magnum shell in before the other guy placed it up to his nose. Well, we all know what happened next....I don't know if it is true or not, but there's no way I'm even going to put a 410 with a blank up to my nose..
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:45:12 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was 10, my father shot the roof twice in a row at a local range with my Winchester Defender that I got for
Christmas that year...
AND BLAMED IT ON ME!!!

Amazing how a 6' tall, 240 lb (at the time) man to this day can't handle AA light target load...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I pretty much shot only 3" MAGs out of my Benelli M1S90.   Introduced a friend to shooting (including shotgun).   No fuss....no muss.  
After about a year, we were in the local "fun" store and he asks "What's up with these mini shells???" as he hands me a box of "standard" 2 3/4 slugs
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#8]
True story:

Took my wife out shooting.

Tried showing her (with all arms unloaded) the course in how to handle, don't point at anything you are not willing to destroy, not to barrel sweep anyone if there are people around.

She gave me the know it all bit about.. "Oh yeah I have shot guns before and I know how to use them"

O RLY?

Took her out and handed her the Norinco M98 (18"). put a 3" 2oz slug in her hand and said "Load up! Pull tight aganst your shoulder, take the safety off, aim and pull the trigger"

I she replied "I know what I am doing! shut up! Shotguns are weak."

BOOM!!! slug went downrange and she was on her butt.  

"Whats that you say?"
"ASSHOLE!"

I tried to teach her to have respect for firearms and she thought they were toys that do no harm. Thats the whole reason why I did it. Next I handed her the 10/22, and she asked what this and that was and how does it work, I had no problems showing her since the shotty knocked that shit eating grin off of her face. Her whole thought processed changed and so did her attitude and how she handled  them. Next up was the AR, AK, and the Taurus 9mm.

By the time we got home "she called two of her friends and was excited to tell them about her day out shooting with me and it was so fun blah blah girl chat"

Moral of the story is: I hate know it all's
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Going dove hunting up the road. We loaded the guns into the truck. My friend was checking them to see if there were loaded. YEP one was, shot a hole right in the transmission of my dads old F-100. Lucky the shot missed anything important it just shot into the bell housing. My dad took some aluminum foil and stuck it into the hole.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Shot a TV with bird shot from about 15' away. Found out TV screens are about 1 1/2" thick after all the shot bounced back and hit me. Then I shot it out with a slug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top