Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2002 3:46:33 PM EDT
I got my first AK (well, I did own another one but never shot it)

It is a new WASR 10 (high cap model)

I fired 30 rounds and the barrel was HOT!  I mean f-ing hot!  

Is this normal?  I can fire 90+ rounds from my AR and it does not even get this close.

I know there is a caliber diff. and all.  Is that what is making the big diff?

I feel sorta' stupid for posting this, but I am plain AK stupid.

thanks
medcop
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes .. AKs get hot quick... The handguards in all AKs are not the best. I guess in a cold country like Russia it didn't / doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, it's normal.

I have a Romanian AK, the doublestack mag version of your gun, but extremely similiar.

I have a recently acquired Bushmaster that takes alot longer to heat up.

I'm almost positive it's just the amount of metal, more mass spreads the heat slower and further- the Romanian AK's thinner barrel makes for lighter carry, but heats up much faster.

Some people replace the piston tube on top of the gun with a vented one that has a few small holes in it, a common AK variation you see on alot of countries AK's, which helps keep things a little cooler, but I just live with it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
30 rounds and your aK will be smoking!

Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a double stack mag model.  The WASR 10 (from what I have read) comes in 4 models.  Two that take single stack mags (one pistol grip one thumbhole) and two that take standard high caps (pistol grip and thumbhole)

I have the pistol grip high cap model. (Romanian made)

THANKS for the info guys.  I just wanted to make sure this was normal.  

Thanks again
medcop
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
MY first experience was back in the late 80's when i was in the army we cross trained with AK47's(seriosly), after that I got addicted so
I went out and bought two AK's(MAK90's) I've gotten my barrels so hot that I had received
3rd degree burns off of them(big red blister from accidently touching them) I thought this is an evil feature that the ATF forgot, run out of ammo and burn the enemy with a hot barrel.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep those do get rally hot , especially after running a full 75 rnd drum through it using the bump firing technique !!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#7]
after putting 500 or so rds through my bushy, i made the mistake of touching the barrel (bumped it w/ my hand)  OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it is supposed to by design.

Why? I'll explain.

The Ak was designed to heat up in order to prevent it from being used in full auto fire excessively.

AKs never had multiple round BURST, so in order to discourage its users from doing this excessively it was made (or left) this way.

The Galil and Valmets (if I remember correctly) are different as they were modified so as not to retain this feature.

The AK was intended to be used by many people some literate and some illiterate. The Russians intended it to be a simply rifle with acceptable tolerances in the fit. It is for these reasons that the AK is known for both its reliability and ease of use.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Speaking of Hot... Wonder if it was as hot as my Gemtech after 60 rounds of Full Auto.  It was smoking for 10 solid minutes.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#10]
My VEPR doesn't get hot very fast, but then again it does have a heavy barrel.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member - www.nra.org
GOA Life Member - www.gunowners.org
SAF Supporter - www.saf.org
SAS Supporter - www.sas-aim.org

Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've gotten my barrels so hot that I had received 3rd degree burns off of them(big red blister from accidently touching them)

been there, done that!  the phoenix sun in august doesn't help it cool down any either.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#12]
My SAR-2 used to get unbearably hot when firing a couple of mags.

I fixed that problem by removing the wood stock set and replacing it what a Bulgarian plastic set.

I'll try to post a pic for you.

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My SAR-2 used to get unbearably hot when firing a couple of mags.

I fixed that problem by removing the wood stock set and replacing it what a Bulgarian plastic set.

brouhaha,

Where can I get a set of furniture like that for my AK?

Oh...and who has good priced mags?

thanks
medcop
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 2:46:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Try here:  www.k-varcorp.com/2001pricelist.html#stock

Remember that you probably need to get a US set to keep from screwing your US parts count up. I got a K-Var stock for my SAR and it works great and looks pretty dang cool, too. It is the only stock I shot my new SAR with, and I have never noted any overheating. It does look like the polymer stocks went up in price a bit, though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Try here:  www.k-varcorp.com/2001pricelist.html#stock

That's exactly where I got mine.  Great service, and great prices.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#16]
If your looking for really great mags for your 7.62X39 AK47 let me recomend the Bulgarian synthetic waffle mags from K-var corp.

I bought 5 of them for $10 bucks each and I was so impressed with them I bought 15 more.

Out of 20 mags I had to file a little on 2 of them to make them fit. It only took 3 or 4 swipes with a hand file and they fit perfect.

I used them for bump firing and never had a jam. Plus they fit tight and don't rattle around like the metal mags.

And at $10 bucks apiece you can't beat em.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I too just got one a couple weeks ago and fired it last weekend at the inlaws place.  Much better than my MAK90.  It got hot after a couple fast clips worth of ammo but so did my AR.  I had to let both of them cool down while we policed the area for debris before I put them back in the cases.  Out of 8 people who shot the AR and AK back to back, 3 people wanted to order an AK.  No trigger slap, canted sights or anything really bad.  Finish was good and stock was pretty good.

I also read that the single stacks still function in these modified WASR-10.  Can anyone confirm this.  I have no single stack mags or I would try.

I hope to order 3 or 4 more of these in the next couple weeks.

How about an AK shoot in the KS/MO area.  Send me an email if interested.

John
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#18]
you should check out the video of someguy shooting a full auto ak, just 75 round drum after another.  The wooden handguards were smoking..
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#19]
wear oven mitts or ski gloves.or shoot one-handed ala rambo...p.s. the barrels hot ,too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#20]
come on Medcop,  that's half the fun of owning an Ak, the distinctive Kalashnikov tattoo you get on your hand from sliding your hand too far forward on the handguard and burning a nice little crescent on it!

Yep it's normal and if you think it's hot after 30 rounds,  try bump firing about ten mags through it in a few minutes!  Mine gets so hot it starts to smell funny.

When we're rabbit hunting Mud Lake in the winter in Idaho,  I'll spit out a full mag every once-in-a-while to have something to warm my hands up on.

crash
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top