Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:00:43 AM EDT
When not using a suppressor, is it recommended to leave the threaded protector on or should you remove it while shooting.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I leave mine on when the can is off.  That way I don't get burnt powder and gunk all over my threads.  Plus it keeps the threads from being damaged if anything were to hit the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]
See above.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys...
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a bad egg.  I've got three Ops cans.  I rarely put the thread collars back on.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:52:17 AM EDT
[#5]
If my threaded bbls. don't have a suppressor attached, they have the thread protector attached wether they are installed on the gun or in my safe.
That's why they are called thread protectors.
For what a good threaded bbl. costs, it is worth protecting them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you noticed any "backing-off" or looseness in the thread adapter on the barrel after a long shooting session.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:00:47 AM EDT
[#7]
No backing off, but if you are concerned, put teflon tape on the threads.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you noticed any "backing-off" or looseness in the thread adapter on the barrel after a long shooting session.

My MP5 thread protector comes loose after some shooting sessions with the 3-lug suppressor or bare muzzle.

I just make a point of checking it every so often.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If my threaded bbls. don't have a suppressor attached, they have the thread protector attached wether they are installed on the gun or in my safe.
That's why they are called thread protectors.
For what a good threaded bbl. costs, it is worth protecting them.

This. How much time and energy does it take to put them on? Vs how pissed you will be if your threads get fucked.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:31:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I must be in the minority here, but I own thread protectors for all my threaded barrels and I don't use any of them.  I used them in the past, but eventually got lazy and stopped bothering.  Now they sit on the top shelf in my safe.

Besides.... why would I shoot my guns that have threaded barrels WITHOUT a suppressor???  That's just crazy talk!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I must be in the minority here, but I own thread protectors for all my threaded barrels and I don't use any of them.  I used them in the past, but eventually got lazy and stopped bothering.  Now they sit on the top shelf in my safe.

Besides.... why would I shoot my guns that have threaded barrels WITHOUT a suppressor???  That's just crazy talk!!

shooting with the thread protector on doesn't necessarily mean "WITHOUT a suppressor" while there are 3-lug subguns like my MP5 out there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I get your point...sort of.  It's hard to conceal my P220 when I'm on duty when the can is attached.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I get your point...sort of.  It's hard to conceal my P220 when I'm on duty when the can is attached.

Valid.  I never looked at it from a duty perspective.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top