Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2013 10:46:55 AM EDT
Serial #  2675XXX

SA Service Grade

So besides field stripping it and giving a good cleaning, anything else I need to do to this rifle?  What does everyone use for lube, CLP?

Will post pics when she gets here
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So besides field stripping it and giving a good cleaning, anything else I need to do to this rifle?  What does everyone use for lube, CLP?

View Quote

GREASE
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Grease.  Plain old automotive grease, pick up a tub at NAPA, Walmart, etc.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok thanks
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

GREASE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GREASE

This. Apply a thin layer of it to the oprod track in the receiver, the bolt lugs and the oprod saddle that rides under the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
When did you order it
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered an H&K 8 oct, they ran out, I sat on it a couple of weeks then sent an email to change over to SA, as soon as I did it shipped within a week

But if u check out the cmp forum it looks like they are pumping them out in about 30 days of receiving ur order
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Ordered mine on 9/11 by check. Check cleared 10/11. I bought one locally Monday for $875. Nice HRA mix master, all I did was lube it up. Hopefully the CMP will come through shortly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's what I bought in town on Monday..

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I ordered an H&K 8 oct, they ran out, I sat on it a couple of weeks then sent an email to change over to SA, as soon as I did it shipped within a week

But if u check out the cmp forum it looks like they are pumping them out in about 30 days of receiving ur order
View Quote

Dang, I must have missed those too. I bet they sold out in a hurry.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

GREASE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GREASE

I'm not sure about the M1 Garand, but for my M1A, I don't like grease on the spring. I just use Breakfree clp and it appears to be working very well for it. I clean it after every session though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, H&R you knew what the hell I meant
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ordered mine on 9/11 by check. Check cleared 10/11. I bought one locally Monday for $875. Nice HRA mix master, all I did was lube it up. Hopefully the CMP will come through shortly.
View Quote

If you go hereyou can see where people will post there timeline

Ur pics are not showin up
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Some dumass deleted them from his photobucket account . After the dumass reformated the card,  so said dumass will have to reshoot them...
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not sure about the M1 Garand, but for my M1A, I don't like grease on the spring. I just use Breakfree clp and it appears to be working very well for it. I clean it after every session though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GREASE

Why?

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I picked her up today she looks pretty good a couple of dents in the wood but who the hell cares, rifle bore is gaged at a 2, by the time I got home and took her apart greased and lubed her it was dark, so tossing a couple of rounds down range will have to wait until tomorrow, besides we've got winds averaging 30 to 40 mph

metal parts all look really good, rifle was clean upon arrival, trigger assembly is a SA, not sure where on the barrel to find out who made it.

Serial # dates to 1944, wish I knew where it was used at, but im sure that is a common curiousity
Enjoy the pics.

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

metal parts all look really good, rifle was clean upon arrival, trigger assembly is a SA, not sure where on the barrel to find out who made it.

View Quote

Look on the right side of the barrel. You will have to have the operating rod locked back to see since the operating rod blocks it when the bolt is closed.

Nice score on the stock. Looks to be USGI walnut.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Look on the right side of the barrel. You will have to have the operating rod locked back to see since the operating rod blocks it when the bolt is closed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool thanks, ill check it tomorrow after im done shooting it
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Light parkerizing looks like it could be an arsenal rebuild.

Check the receiver legs for markings.

(This is not a bad thing!)
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Beautiful.  

That's a super nice stock.  The whole thing looks great.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes LEAD rebuild  65 1
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Beautiful.  

That's a super nice stock.  The whole thing looks great.
View Quote

Thanks, it almost looks like the knicks were recently done as there is real light wood werevits dented.

But I am gladvi finally have a piece of history, hopefully ill firevit th his weekend
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes LEAD rebuild  65 1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes LEAD rebuild  65 1

Very cool... good score. Check the bottom of the stock pistol grip for an orange triangle (paint/stamp)...
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Very cool... good score. Check the bottom of the stock pistol grip for an orange triangle (paint/stamp)...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes LEAD rebuild  65 1

Just checked, orange triangle, what does that mean?

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, I picked her up today she looks pretty good a couple of dents in the wood but who the hell cares, rifle bore is gaged at a 2, by the time I got home and took her apart greased and lubed her it was dark, so tossing a couple of rounds down range will have to wait until tomorrow, besides we've got winds averaging 30 to 40 mph

Serial # dates to 1944, wish I knew where it was used at, but im sure that is a common curiousity
Enjoy the pics.

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cj7365/media/20131204_162404_zps378b2f9e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn45/cj7365/20131204_162404_zps378b2f9e.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cj7365/media/20131204_163656_zps976d444f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn45/cj7365/20131204_163656_zps976d444f.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cj7365/media/20131204_162642_zpscc636ef3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn45/cj7365/20131204_162642_zpscc636ef3.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cj7365/media/20131204_162539_zpsk9jfubu0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn45/cj7365/20131204_162539_zpsk9jfubu0.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice looking rifle.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Its a Letterkenny Ink stamp applied during the rebuild. They ususally dont last as they are ink and can get wiped/rubbed off. Rifle probably was used very litle after rebuild
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, it looks like it was used very little.  As opposed to my stock looks like it went through WWII, Korea AND Vietnam.  Sanded several times in the process.  Grrrrrrrrrr.....  And that was after a dishwasher spa treatment and several BLO massages.  

Oh well, shoots good.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I would rather have a rifle with character that has done something and has history than one that sat in a corner somewhere its wholelife
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#28]
WONDERFUL  

+1000 on  GREASE

Here's my CMP Service Grade Springfield,  I got back in the 1990's

Late WWII S.A  with a 1052 HRA barrel,  I like to imagine it fought at Iwo Jima or Bastogne
and then mowed down Chi-com wave attacks at the Frozen Chosin  

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would rather have a rifle with character that has done something and has history than one that sat in a corner somewhere its wholelife
View Quote

yeah, but for all I know some yahoos were throwing down the driveway or something like that.  Hopefully that's not the case.  I guess I can surmise that it had seen it's share of duty.  Whatever it was.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
WONDERFUL  

+1000 on  GREASE

Here's my CMP Service Grade Springfield,  I got back in the 1990's

Late WWII S.A  with a 1052 HRA barrel,  I like to imagine it fought at Iwo Jima or Bastogne
and then mowed down Chi-com wave attacks at the Frozen Chosin  

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6054.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6054.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6052.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6052.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6055.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6055.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6070.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6070.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6065.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/M1%20GARAND%20CMP/IMGP6065.jpg</a>

View Quote

Wow, that looks really nice
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sure, wouldn't everyone? but how do you really know where the rifle has been, unless yours talks to you

Quoted:
Its a Letterkenny Ink stamp applied during the rebuild. They ususally dont last as they are ink and can get wiped/rubbed off. Rifle probably was used very litle after rebuild

well the LEAD date is 65, so your probably right about it not being used,I looked up Letterkenny, pretty cool they are still overhauling equip.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sure, wouldn't everyone? but how do you really know where the rifle has been, unless yours talks to you
View Quote

I keep hoping mine will -- I talk to mine and every one I see in the gun stores, telling them to hang in there, somebody will be along and give them a forever home.  Then I gently massage the stock and hope they feel better.

No, REALLY!  Every last one I find in the gun store!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo.  Again, nice score...

If you elect to do any work to the stock... put a piece of blue painter's tape over the LEAD stamp to preserve it.  I wouldn't do anything more than some BLO/mineral spirits applied with steel wool to clean it, though.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you elect to do any work to the stock... put a piece of blue painter's tape over the LEAD stamp to preserve it.  I wouldn't do anything more than some BLO/mineral spirits applied with steel wool to clean it, though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not planning on even messing with her
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks good.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#36]
OP enjoy that M1

For lube I bought a small tub of Mobil1 Synthetic Red Grease from Autozone.
I've use it for my CMP 308 Special and Colt Combat Commander without a problem.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I just got my CMP 308 Special a month ago after a 34 day wait.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#38]
The M1 Garand is a wonderful machine

It needs ammo with the proper burn rate and pressure curve of the military issued ammo

Dont run walmart hunting 30-06 ammo thru it, you can warp the Op-Rod
And that's not good

I only shoot handloads in mine
I use IMR-4895 and surplus FMJ's or match bullets

Google " NRA GARAND LOADS" or buy the NRA garand book
For load data
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Or use one of those adjustable gas plugs then shoot what ever you find.
Check this out Shooting commercial 30-06 in a M1 Garand

That's what I like about my 308 it will shoot any commercial load up to 180.
Back in the 60's the Navy had a good idea rebarreling their M1 Garands to 7.62 NATO.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Serial #  2675XXX

SA Service Grade

View Quote

OP can you post a picture of the barrel on the op rod cut out side of the stock? That should tell you who made the barrel and year.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Or use one of those adjustable gas plugs then shoot what ever you find.
Check this out Shooting commercial 30-06 in a M1 Garand

That's what I like about my 308 it will shoot any commercial load up to 180.
Back in the 60's the Navy had a good idea rebarreling their M1 Garands to 7.62 NATO.
View Quote

Very very nice rifle!!!

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

OP can you post a picture of the barrel on the op rod cut out side of the stock? That should tell you who made the barrel and year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serial #  2675XXX

SA Service Grade

when I get home from work today will post pic of barrel
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Barrel looks like a SA as well

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top