Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2003 12:11:21 AM EDT
My next purchase might be a .50cal rifle, but I`m not sure which one I want to get.  

I`ve narrowed down to two choices:
-Serbu BFG-50 Single Shot
-Barrett 99

My main concerns are:
-quality
-ergonomics (I`m left handed!)
-performance
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 12:55:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm surprised you have these two as choices...  The Barret and an AR50, maybe, but the Surbu, however nice, isn't quite in the same league.  Just my $.02, since you asked.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:38:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Being a lefty myself, I went with the Armalite AR50L
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#3]
They're both good guns.  From what I've read on the net, both companies are very reputable.  You'll find a lot of praise for both at the biggerhammer site.  I just bought my first .50 after doing a lot of research.  After comparing all the variables that were important to me (accuracy, weight, price, looks) I've found both to be comparable so I went with the one that I thought looked coolest (99 is like the X-box game HALO sniper rifle).  I've shot both and found the action on the 99 to be much smoother and easier to open after a shot has been taken.  To be fair, I've only shot one Serbu with surplus ammo.  You can't go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I went with the Barrett.  I shoot rifles lefty too.  At first I was a little concerned about the position of the bolt handle, but when I finally mounted my scope I saw that there was nothing to worry about.  There is plenty of room.  Ergonomics won't be a problem with the 99.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Another lefty here.  Barretts are much higher grade weapons then Serbu but cost more.  They both work.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Another lefty here.  Barretts are much higher grade weapons then Serbu but cost more.  They both work.

Have you seen a Serbu in person?  What makes it a less quality weapon than the Barrett?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I went with the Barrett.  I shoot rifles lefty too.  At first I was a little concerned about the position of the bolt handle, but when I finally mounted my scope I saw that there was nothing to worry about.  There is plenty of room.  Ergonomics won't be a problem with the 99.

CHRIS

As a lefty with a yet unfired M99, this is music to my ears.
I missed out on the Serbu GB but got in on the Barrett GB. I'm sure both are great products, from what i've read and heard.
DD
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe both rifles are a good choice, and both have excellent ratings.  If you're comparing a M82 to a comporable rifle then the choice is obvious.  I prefer a Serbu, and it's had some good comparisons.  It's a sub-MOA with the 22" barrel and the compensator is highly rated.  The Serbu is $2k and the M99 is $3k, so you have some extra cash for ammo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're a left handed shooter, I'd just go with the Armalite AR-50, they make a version just for you.  I have the right handed version and its an awesome gun. the serbu looks cool, but it just doesn't look too comfortable to me (although I've never seen one in person). The barrett will be the most expensive and the Armalite will be right in the middle of the two.  It is definately worth the money. Call Armalite and just ask for a catalog.

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:09:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never handled either of these rifles, but some guys over at BH are saying now that a loaded Barrett will fire if the takedown pin (or whatever) is pulled out, even if the safety is on. And they say this critical pin is easily pulled out, either by ignorance or accident.

If true, I would consider this a very serious design flaw.

Not trying to smear Barrett -- don't have any first hand knowledge about their guns at all -- but these reports made the hair on my neck stand up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#11]
It's never a good idea to disassemble a loaded gun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I own a m-99 and I love it. Barrett makes a great product and their customer service is top notch. If you read your owners manual, you'll see that taking apart a 99 (or any gun...) whilst loaded is a big no no.

"Yes, the .50 BG M99 is "not what you would call normal."

Thats like stating being pregnant with twins is 'not' quite normal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Given the choice of only those two I would take the Barrett. But when I bought my .50 I went with the State Arms .50 BMG. Cost is less than both, Larry Lyle was great to work with, and the are very accurate. Check the FCSA website and you will find a State Arms winner there. Craftsmanship is top shelf, I offer my .02 cents in saying reconsider all your options, they have Lefty rifles as well. I am very very happy with there product.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Voted Barrett of the two choices, but would vote for the AR-50L, if it had been mentioned.  Splits the difference in cost and is uniquely configured SPECIFICALLY for a lefty.

Awesome brake.....
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top