Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2013 11:25:37 PM EDT
I purchased a sporterized 03A3 just before I deployed and have yet to even fire it. It was literally the day before I left. I bought this with the intention of liberating and putting it back to the original config. However the more I read and price out bits and pieces I started to consider just using it the way it is. I currently reside in California and started picking up a few antique bolt action firearms due to the fact that what is legal today will be illegal tomorrow. I also have a soft spot for military rifles, but then again who doesn't .

Sorry got distracted, anyhow I keep seeing where the original rear sight has been removed on these sporterized beauties in order to saddle a scope. Is this a necessary evil or will I be able to get a scope on there with out butchering it anymore. I want to use it in some local 600 yard matches that our local dealers put on at the range. It's open to open sight as well as optics, however I would like the ability to use either.

Secondly, for those who own an '03 and I know this is dependent on the rifle and shooter but what kind of accuracy can I expect. I've been shooting my mil-spec M1A and can land 5/5 at 600 yard on a 18" plate with open sites. I suprised myself, the worst part is I did terrible at 300 yards. Not sure if I just got excited or cocky but it was a real ball buster. At any rate can I expect the same performance as my M1A or better. The rifle is in great shape with a nice clean barrel and rifling.

Thanks,
Crizz
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Rear sight will have to go because otherwise the scope won't clear it unless you mount it really high. As far as accuracy, you're just going to have to try it out. Try to find some military surplus 30-06 to see what it will do at 25 yds. Then its a simple matter of extending distance and making adjustments. Don't be disappointed - its a 75 year old gun and who knows what its been through. Suggest you really scrub the barrel first though. Best of luck to you. Just for fun here is a photo of mine - the 03A3 is the most accurate.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
They look so much nicer in there original dress. I'm looking forward to getting back and trying it out. Thanks for the insight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top