Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2002 3:36:45 PM EDT
Just purchased a Savage .308 w/bull barrel. The gun store, which is not a gunsmith shop, mounted my Bushnell Elite 3200, using a Leupold scope mount and rings. The mount is pretty high.

Not being a rifle guy (which will become obvious) I didn't notice that the scope was mounted where the front of the scope was flush against the barrel. The yardage adjustment wouldn't work because it wouldn't turn due to this.

I was going to shim under the front of the scope mount but the goof at the store tightened the mount down so tight that I couldn't get the mount off. So I did the goober thing to get the front of the scope off the barrel. I shimmed under the first scope ring with two thin pieces of sheet metal. Can you say "redneck engineering"?

But it worked. First time shooting the rifle at the range today to break in the rifle. Rifle shoots 10-12" low and I've adjusted the scope as many clicks as it will go. The rifle shoots 10-12" low with the adjustment all the way out. The rifle shoots dead on but I have to make a gross adjustment to get it to hit the target at 100 yds.

I hope the scope isn't damaged.
What do you think?
GMac
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
McClaren,

First thing I would do is to go back where you bought the gun and get the guy who installed your scope to take everything off and get the proper height rings and start over.It is critical that your scope is mounted properly.Your rings should be in perfect alignment so you don't bend the scope tube.This is why you have to be careful when shimming bases.All the guys I know use taperd bases when they need more elevation.If you have bent the tube, round file it.How thick were the shims that you added to the front ring?Also you should use brass shims as they conform to surfaces better than sheetmetal.HTH. Skullboy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top