Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2012 3:57:17 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I'm going to be buying my first .22 rifle soon (first rifle period, mostly own and shoot pistols).  I'll primarily be using it as a varmint gun as well as just plinking for fun.  My question is it seems like there's a lot out there, Marlin 60, Savage, Ruger 10/22.  Anyone mind listing the pros and cons of each, major differences, etc.?  I was thinking of getting an autoloader vs. a bolt action.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks all!
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger 10/22 Takedown

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
While my favorite is long out of production, Nylon 66, my second favorite is the Browning .22 auto.  They not only handle and shoot well, but they get points for style and grace.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 5:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking for an auto-loader, the top 2 are going to be the Ruger 10-22 and the Marlin 60, with the Marlin 795 and Remington 597 comming in behind them.

If you like to tinker a lot and change stocks, barrels, etc the Ruger 10-22 is the best choice, they are reliable guns with almost endless aftermarket options and hold most of there value if cared for.
If you just want a nice reliable .22 and will be happy with the factory stock and maybe just add a sling and scope, the Marlin 60 is a very solid choice. The 60 is tube feed, 15rds with the newer ones and the bolt locks open on the last shot to let you know you are out of ammo. They are known for there accuracy and reliability with no modifications.

The Marlin 795 is a lot like the Marlin 60, but it is Magazine fed with 7rd,10rd,15rd and 25rd mags with a bolt hold open on the last shot. It does not have a lot of aftermarket support, and is also know for its accuracy. It has a really nice heavy taper barrel that is 18" so it is pretty liteweight and handy, yet stiff and accurate.

The Remington 597 had a lot of issues when it was released, but the past few years have been a lot better. It has detachable mags 10rd & 30rds and has a last round bolt hold upen. Out of them all this one comes with the most comfortable "adult" sized stock and feels like a fullsized rifle and not a .22 carbine. It has a few stock, barrel and trigger options but nothing like the 10-22. It has duel recoil springs each with full length guide rods and is perhaps the smoothest action of the semi autos.

Savage makes the 64 semi auto, but is really known for there Mark II bolt actions being a fairly inexpensive yet very accurate .22lr.

The Ruger 10-22 is normally new for around $200 and resale on a used one is around $150.
Marlin 60 is normally new for around $150 and resale on a used one is around $100 or less.
Marlin 795 cand be bought new for $100-$150 and resale on a used one is $100 or less.
Remington 597 is new for around $200 and resale on a used one is $120 or so.

Now the Ruger 10-22 will pretty much never wear out, the Marlins have a plastic buffer that seems to last 20-30years before needing a new $10 one installed. The Remington 597 also has a rubber buffer, but I have not heard of any wearing out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#4]
That was perfect!  Thanks for the information!
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure hunting with semi auto is legal in your state.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Savage mk2 FV-SR.    Adjustable trigger.   Check     Threaded heavy fluted barrel.     Check    kick butt accuracy.    Check
Best bang for the buck out there.  the trigger is adjustable and from the factory is kick butt better than most rifles for the money. it can be modded and made better just ask batmancw he did a post here about his improvements to his trigger.
The stock is hokey but there are options primarly from Boyd's the Tacticool model is good for a bench gun but there are other options which are good for a woods gun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't think you'll be modifying it, the Marlin 60 or 795 are very accurate out of the box.  Look up the Nutnfancy video on youtube about the 795.  I have both.

If you have a hard time leaving a gun stock, go with a Ruger 10/22.  They are less accurate out of the box than the marlins by a noticeable margin.  However, while there is nothing particularly wrong with their factory accuracy, with a few hundred dollars spent smartly on the aftermarket, you can really put them into another category altogether.  

For a bolt action, the Savage MkII is great on the lower end, but if you can swing an entry level CZ-452, like the ZKM military trainer, get that gun.  It is built like a centerfire rifle and very flexible.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
For a semi, the Marlin 60 is THE most accurate one out of the box, end-of-story. Tube magazine also allows one to lay the rifle flat on a rest for bench shooting, something a lower hanging mag won't allow.

Savage makes possibly the best trigger on a stock rifle, but they don't make a hi-cap .22 AFAIK. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there.

CZ makes THE best bolt action rimfires on the market right now. Fabulous triggers, amazing accuracy, wood stocks. The only thing not to love are their 10rd only mags.  

If you think about possibly getting a suppressor down the road, both Savage & CZ make a factory threaded bbl model. Here I would opt for the CZ, IMO.

I manage to stir up a lot of shit in here by saying this, but I'll say it anyway: You couldn't GIVE me a Ruger 10/22...............    

If you don't mind spending a bit more, Browning makes a terrific T-Bolt with a heavier contoured target bbl. These are also available in a gorgous wood stock as well.

You probably need to hit all the mfgr web sites & see what models & options are available these days. Once you narrow it down to 3-4 models, then you can hit Gun Broker & see what they're selling for & see which one(s) match(es) your budget the best.

Or, if your budget allows it, just get the cream de la creme, an Anschutz..............  

My .o2
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#9]
May i suggest you take a look at the marlin xt-22tr. It's tube feed bolt action rifle so you can shoot shorts and longs in it as well..

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/72778
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#10]
My 1978 Glenfield Model 60 keeps every shot inside the ten ring at 100 yards, so there's that.

I've been fairly pleased with it as far as .22s go.

another one that i've got, also pretty accurate, doesn't throw the slug as far, Mossberg 702. Just about the cheapest .22 semi on the market, but not bad.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget the Henry lever actions in .22!
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
For accurate varmint or target plinking, a bolt gun will probably serve you well.  If you are training a kid to shoot, the bolt also slows down how fast they shoot which usually means they take more time for each shot.  Taking more time helps them shoot tighter groups which makes them enjoy shooting.

The bolt guns that I am looking at getting are in the target line:  Savage MKII FVT, Kimber Model 84G, CZ 452, or an Anschutz (when I win the lotto)

For semi-auto, I have owned a Ruger 10/22 since I was a little kid and it still shoots great.  The one thing that I have found is the mods for the "Liberty Training Rifle."  

Volquartsen hammer kit, auto-bolt release, tech sights, extended mag release, and sling swivels

I recommend that if you only do one mod to your rifle it's the Volquartsen hammer kit.  This drops the trigger pull from 10 lbs to around 3 lbs.  It's like a brand new rifle!  I am actually looking to buy three more 10/22 rifles and modify them for my kids.  All three will get the full Liberty Training Rifle mods.  Maybe put a target barrel on one for the oldest, a pink youth stock on for my princess, and something to make it left-handed user-friendly for the youngest.  That's the best about the 10/22.  They shoot great out of the box and can be customized for anything.

By the way, my rifle keeps the shots in the 10 ring on the 100yd NRA small bore target (iron sights) and I have shot thousands of rounds over the years.  My oldest son and I are practicing on the 25yd AQT for Appleseed shoots.  Almost scoring rifleman....  When I was younger I thought that if you took the receiver out of the stock and took the trigger out that it would be too hard to put back together.  As a result I only cleaned the barrel (and from the muzzle end!!!).  You should have seen the gunk that I cleaned out when I did the mods.  Hasn't seemed to hurt the performance though and now shoots even better.

If I have the luxury of more cash, I may look at the CZ 512.  I have heard good things, so want to give it a try some time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I manage to stir up a lot of shit in here by saying this, but I'll say it anyway: You couldn't GIVE me a Ruger 10/22...............    

My .o2

If anyone tries to give you a Ruger 10/22, please feel free to pass it on to me!  
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#14]
CZ and Kimber make some of the sexiest rimfire rifles on the market. No matter what you get, also buy a 10-22. Don't narrow your choices to one rifle.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My .o2

Actually I understand that position, they should be better out of the box; but with an inexpensive kit to give it a decent trigger and an extractor replacement they turn in to a fun little rifle and the work is easy to do yourself. After that the good thing about them is there is so much else out there for them you can play with it to your hearts content.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 3:57:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Marlin 39A  or Ruger 77/22
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Savage mk2 FV-SR.    Adjustable trigger.   Check     Threaded heavy fluted barrel.     Check    kick butt accuracy.    Check
Best bang for the buck out there.  the trigger is adjustable and from the factory is kick butt better than most rifles for the money. it can be modded and made better just ask batmancw he did a post here about his improvements to his trigger.
The stock is hokey but there are options primarly from Boyd's the Tacticool model is good for a bench gun but there are other options which are good for a woods gun.

This is a great choice. If its your first rifle you will never out grow how accurate this rifle is. The trigger is great from the factory and much better with a little easy work.

I have the Savage TR and it is kick ass.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For a semi, the Marlin 60 is THE most accurate one out of the box, end-of-story. Tube magazine also allows one to lay the rifle flat on a rest for bench shooting, something a lower hanging mag won't allow.

Savage makes possibly the best trigger on a stock rifle, but they don't make a hi-cap .22 AFAIK. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there.

CZ makes THE best bolt action rimfires on the market right now. Fabulous triggers, amazing accuracy, wood stocks. The only thing not to love are their 10rd only mags.  

If you think about possibly getting a suppressor down the road, both Savage & CZ make a factory threaded bbl model. Here I would opt for the CZ, IMO.

If you don't mind spending a bit more, Browning makes a terrific T-Bolt with a heavier contoured target bbl. These are also available in a gorgous wood stock as well.

You probably need to hit all the mfgr web sites & see what models & options are available these days. Once you narrow it down to 3-4 models, then you can hit Gun Broker & see what they're selling for & see which one(s) match(es) your budget the best.

Or, if your budget allows it, just get the cream de la creme, an Anschutz..............  

My .o2

If you get a 10/22 for free can I buy it from you cheap?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I just picked up a Mossberg Plinkster 702 last week and, for the money, it's a damn fine little rifle. We ran a 555 box through it in one sitting without a single hiccup. I've owned and built several 10/22s and I actually like this little Mosssberg more.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .o2

Actually I understand that position, they should be better out of the box; but with an inexpensive kit to give it a decent trigger and an extractor replacement they turn in to a fun little rifle and the work is easy to do yourself. After that the good thing about them is there is so much else out there for them you can play with it to your hearts content.

Sam here.

I am bit biased and still remember being dissapointed when ruger got rid of metal buttplates and walnut stocks.

I would have never in my wildest dreams imagined how cheap they'd get with a plastic trigger housing and non-anodized receiver.  I sold my mid 80's era 10-22 a long time ago (and wish I'd kept it, just because the new ones are crap, but if I ever buy another one, it won't be a "new" one.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I like Savage and CZ rimfire rifles. Hard to go wrong with a Savage MKII TR or a CZ 452 . I don't hunt just punch paper .

Savage MKII TR

CZ 452 Varmint

CZ 452 American 16''
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I love the CZ 452.  I bought one of the trainers about 8 years ago and its been the most accurate out of the box .22 I've owned.  Check them out, i don't think you can go wrong.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#23]
S&W 15-22 for a semi auto. I shoot rabbits and squirrels out on the ranch with mine all of the time.
Savage MK II for a bolt action.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a bunch of .22 rifles and love them all. I must say that a 10/22 is a solid gun and will provide hours of good entertainment. Although the most fun I have ever had with any gun was a lever action .22  henry. Also try a remington wingmaster for a good semiauto rifle. Also when shooting A LOT tube magazine are much easier on the hands when it comes to reloading
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
May i suggest you take a look at the marlin xt-22tr. It's tube feed bolt action rifle so you can shoot shorts and longs in it as well..

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/72778

+1
I picked one up from them in March and love it, 1" groups at 50 yards off hand (the front sight covers pretty much the whole target) and eats anything, mine seems to like CCI Stingers and Blazers the best.
Top Top