Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:44:56 PM EDT
Is there any strength difference between older and newer 686's? What updated have been done to the 686 over the years? Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:46:57 AM EDT
[#1]
There have been some machining changes, but the major changes are the use of MIM parts, the frame mounted firing pin,  and the locking safety feature of the most recent guns.  I don't believe the frame strength has been an issue with any of the "generational" changes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the old ones...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Sheldon hit the high points for ya. I prefer my guns not to have keyholes and locks in the sideplates so, I buy older. I don't think quality has dropped appreciably so, I'd say it's mainly asthetics.

Blitz
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys!

What are MIM parts and are they a good improvment or not?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks guys!

What are MIM parts and are they a good improvment or not?

I'm unaware of any MIM parts in a S&W, personally. Might call S&W & ask them??????
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The power port on the newer (7 years maybe?) ones works great.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:11:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The newer revolvers have MIM hammers and triggers....possibly internals as well.  MIM stands for metal injected machining.  

A powderized metal is combined with a bonding material and is made into a putty of sorts and then injected into a mold of the part being made,  Once that hardens they heat the part up till the binding material is burned off and the powdered metal fuses solid.  At least, something along those lines.  It makes it cheaper to make a part.  I think most prefer the older forged metal parts.  I have not heard too many bad things said about the S&W MIM parts other than some saying the trigger jobs on the forged parts feel better.

smith-wessonforum.com/eve is a great site for S&W questions.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#8]
i hate my self for selling my 686 4in
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i hate my self for selling my 686 4in

Buy another!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#10]
ahh but yes ......

to many gun but not enought money "DOH!!!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top