Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2012 11:54:03 AM EDT
Sorry if this has been beaten to death before! I searched but could not really find what I was looking for exactly.

I am filing my form 1 and need the length if anyone knows it

mk18 10.5" Noveske upper
AAC Blackout 51T Muzzle Brake
LMT SOPMOD stock

thanks!! and sorry again if this is asked alot!

//Austin
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
barrel length will the the actual length of the barrel you got... 10.5"

overall length is a touchy subject... but it is end of the flash suppressor to the end of the stock...
if you ask on here they will say with the stock extended if thats the case you would be looking at 30" over all or so...

I am not saying ball bark it but if your close i would think that is good enough... just put your stock on a 16"+ gun measure the over all the subtract the barrel length difference and you should be good to go...

remember once SBR paper work comes back it is not in stone that your weapon must stay the lengths on the form 1..
It as asked that you contact the atf of changes but is NOT required...

jump any anyone if i am incorrect on any of this
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]

OAL isn't all that important with an AR SBR. Put 29" that's the commonly accepted OAL of a 10.5" barreled AR. THey don't care about fractions of inches. The MK18's officially accepted OAL is 29.6" I believe, measured with the stock fully extended.

Like I said, because of the modularity of the weapon, and how old the laws outlining the requirement are, the weapon can more than fluctuate a few inches here and there depending on stock, butt pad, muzzle device, etc. 29 or 30" is perfectly within reason. As long as it isn't something rediculous, they honestly don't care all that much, as long as something goes in the block. Don't stress the minutae.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#3]
thank you both for those responses! Glad to see that it is not a huge issue. I figured it just needed to be a close ballpark but did not want to make that mistake as most mistakes can cost you lots of jail time
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

barrel length will the the actual length of the barrel you got... 10.5"

overall length is a touchy subject... but it is end of the flash suppressor to the end of the stock...

if you ask on here they will say with the stock extended if thats the case you would be looking at 30" over all or so...

I am not saying ball bark it but if your close i would think that is good enough... just put your stock on a 16"+ gun measure the over all the subtract the barrel length difference and you should be good to go...

remember once SBR paper work comes back it is not in stone that your weapon must stay the lengths on the form 1..

It as asked that you contact the atf of changes but is NOT required...

jump any anyone if i am incorrect on any of this

Also, I wanted to chime in on a piece of this, because while good intentioned and close, measuring your 16" barrel ON the gun isn't quite an accurate way of measuring, simply because:

- The barrel extends into the reciever, so you're not measuring the entire length of the barrel from the outside, hence why the ATF measures the length of the bore with a dowel.

- Depending on how long the muzzle device is, you're adding length to the end past the muzzle itself, which is where the barrel is measured for barrel length measurements. For OAL it is from the rearmost point to the end of the muzzle device as a completed firearm, so in that aspect, you are correct. I just thought I would throw in that clarification, particularly for the OP.

Again, OP, as King and I said, once it is submitted, the length and barrel length are not set in stone. The laws were written at a time that FAR predates the modularity of the AR-15, and even the notion of what we are capable of, weapons modification wise, these days was unfathomable. Remember, these laws were written back in the days of Thompsons and such.

The AR15 can be modified for different barrel lengths, calibers, configurations etc with the simple push of 2 pins.

Good luck with your paperwork. The wait hurts. I should be hearing approval in about 3 weeks or so hopefully. I've been pending since October.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top