Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2022 10:31:56 AM EDT
Hi, after waiting 2 months I received an email saying my SBR form 1 was disapproved.

I have a Daniel Defense DDMK18 pistol I am wanting to SBR. I filled out everything, double checked with my gun store and make and serial are correct but the ATF agent disapproved saying my model number is incorrect. They state - "INCORRECT MODEL SHOULD MATCH LOWER DDM4".  The pistol model number according to Daniel Defense is DDMK18. That is what I was told to put as model number.

I am not sure what to do... this is nuts...I am lost on this.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#1]
What is engraved on the lower?  That's what you should use.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not weird if you follow AFTs logic.

My AMD65 SBR was disapproved because I put AMD-65 instead of just AMD 65 as it shows on the receiver.

It needs to be exact...with the spaces and dots or periods of whatever.

On the eform section for model..daniel defense will pop up and autopopulate, then MK18 will autopopulate.

If it doesn't then you know something is wrong.

That is your only clue you fucked up.

I did my Colt M4A1 and it popped up as Colt and not Colt Defense.

Fine whatever but you have to make sure it autopopulates and putting the info in.

Call the examiner or email right away as they can fix it if you redo it today but you have to pay a 200 again but they will approve it right away.

Email your examiner today.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]
That's what I was trying to convey..you can resubmit it but they approve it right away if you are in email contact with your examiner.

Mines was disapproved on Thursday morning, I was chatting with my examiner Thursday morning, I resubmitted it copying everything except putting the information correctly as they wanted and it was approved lateThursday morning.

Contact by email your examiner and give your control number.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Resubmit with what the ATF said it is.

Done.

Mk18 is (incorrect) slang for a lot of different short-barreled weapons.
View Quote

This. It's really that simple.

what is engraved on the lower?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What is engraved on the lower?  That's what you should use.
View Quote
This, the ATF doesn't care what DD calls this particular SKU from a sales standpoint, just how it's actually identified on the engraving on the lower.

Reasoning is, if there was ever a trace ran on the gun for some reason, the person would only really have the information actually on the firearm to go off of, so that's the information they want on the record.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I SBR'd that exact gun and it was approved. Use the info off the lower only. Model is DDM4.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I did a similar goof up on my ADM model, followed what the examiner said it should be, refilled and emailed her the same day with the new control number. 7am the next morning I had my approval email and stamp, hell even mentioned in my thanks you email that I hoped I didn't do a similar mistake on my Scorpion and she approved that one as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a similar burp with my first eForm1. It was clearly an AR-15 Lower, and I submitted it as such, but being PSA it was marked PA-15.

So, round two, that's what went on the form.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone..I get it now… lower says ddm4. Question was what is the model is and my receipt said ddm4 and that is what Daniel Defense named it…that’s where it’s messed up. I even watched various videos on this, 1 being Capital Amory…still messed up

Refund is in process. I need to go get finger prints again or get a kit and do them myself and get my refund and resubmit, it’s going to take a while to get all this stuff done again and the refund. Many more months ahead if I decide to redo this or keep it as a pistol….. I really don’t care.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 2:48:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone..I get it now… lower says ddm4. Question was what is the model is and my receipt said ddm4 and that is what Daniel Defense named it…that’s where it’s messed up. I even watched various videos on this, 1 being Capital Amory…still messed up

Refund is in process. I need to go get finger prints again or get a kit and do them myself and get my refund and resubmit, it’s going to take a while to get all this stuff done again and the refund. Many more months ahead if I decide to redo this or keep it as a pistol….. I really don’t care.
View Quote

If you can swing another $200, resubmit right away and email the examiner that disapproved the initial eform 1 so you don’t have to get another set of prints done. If it’s been a couple of days, it may not work.

Email should look like [email protected]

Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:09:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Resubmit with what the ATF said it is.

Done.
View Quote

This.
Atf says I'm "white", so that's what I put on the 4473 and it works, even though I'm not "white".

If your atf response says the model is quijbo18, you now say it's quijibo18.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Its been a while, but i had a similar issue several years back using eforms.  The agent put it on hold, and had me upload photos of the receiver to confirm the markings.  It then got approved.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks. I emailed him asking these questions about re-submitting the eform1 to him with another $200 since the refund is in process and he has my finger print cards.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Got ahold of the ATF person. They said once a form is disapproved it needs to start all over again, new finger print cards, $200 paid, new form filled out and get back in line. There is no such thing as quickly re-doing the eForm1 and get approved and everyone has to start over. it also takes now 90-120 days or more to receive the refund. hummm...

After thinking about this I am going to wait and see comes of the brace law situation and the gun ban that passed the house. I am in no hurry and no issues shooting the gun with the brace...plus I can easily still travel across state line with it as a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got ahold of the ATF person. They said once a form is disapproved it needs to start all over again, new finger print cards, $200 paid, new form filled out and get back in line. There is no such thing as quickly re-doing the eForm1 and get approved and everyone has to start over. it also takes now 90-120 days or more to receive the refund. hummm...

View Quote
I've heard a few others get that same answer in recent months.  They used to allow you to re-submit when denied due to a procedural error and then fast track the new application as a curtesy, but this is more confirmation that those days are over.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've heard a few others get that same answer in recent months.  They used to allow you to re-submit when denied due to a procedural error and then fast track the new application as a curtesy, but this is more confirmation that those days are over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems like the "hey just fix this detail and I'll push it through" thing went out with the paper forms (and the white-out). I got the same answer with my screwup (though I used the "Ask the ATF" contact form instead of emailing the individual directly).
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes seems so…I asked twice if anything could be done to fixed this…suggest since they have the $200 and finger print cards I’d re-do the form and send it right over with in the next 5 minutes. I said I’d send a photo of the gun showing serial number and model …whatever needed.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Worth noting, just because something is in the dropdown/auto populate doesn't mean it's correct. That just means someone else has tried it before.
I use exactly what is engraved on the side and always include a picture of the engraving so there isn't any doubt.
Seems to help particularly on something a bit more obscure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top