Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/30/2005 7:10:00 AM EDT
The SA manual doesn't say anything about not dry firing, however common wisdom says not to dry fire rimfires. I lent the gun to a friend while we were hunting and he dry fired it several times.
Now the .22 bbl doesn't want to extract (takes a gerber or strong fingers).
I can see where the chamber mouth is dinged up. I'm hesitant to take a round file to it as I don't want to hurt the already shitty accuracy.
Since the manual doesn't say not to dry fire, do you think if I send it back to SA they will repair the chamber?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:27:09 AM EDT
I am sure SA will fix it for you. You also may order a 22LR 'chamber iron' tool from Brownells. This tool is gently tapped into the 22 LR chamber. When it bottoms out it has restored the chamber from an oval to a round chamber.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:32:38 AM EDT
dont dryfire rimfires?! Ive been dryfiring my SA XD 9mm handgun like mad to getr a feel for it, does that mean it could be damaged?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:55:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By christ0ph:
dont dryfire rimfires?! Ive been dryfiring my SA XD 9mm handgun like mad to getr a feel for it, does that mean it could be damaged?

unless its some goofy 9mm rimfire wildcat I'd say you're safe
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:10:19 PM EDT

9mm is a centerfire cartridge, not rimfire.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:08:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By legonas:

doh!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:24:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By legonas:

doh!

1) Firing pin strikes primer centered in middle = centerfire

2) Firing pin strikes primer on rim of cartridge = rimfire

The only commonly available rimfires are in .22 (.22short, .22LR, etc.). We all had to learn so don't be shy to ask questions.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:39:33 PM EDT
Brownells.com sells a tool to iron firing pin dents out of the chamber.
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8869&title=.22+CHAMBER+IRONING+TOOL
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:30:45 PM EDT
I had a friend do exactly the same thing. I did use a very small tapered round file and worked the nub off. No issues since - maybe 120-125 rounds - no effect on accuracy.

Jeff
Top Top