Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2008 7:50:28 PM EDT
I recently did a trade deal on the M1A/M14 board for a Springfield Armory M1A (bush rifle) and when it arrived I was suprised to notice that the Springfield Armory on the receiver was spelled Springfield Aromry. I did a little looking online to see if anyone else had run into this before and mostly what I found was people who want to talk about M1As and XDs that dont know how to spell Springfield Armory. I did find one person on the Dirty Dozens Bunker forum that has a SOCOM with this same mis-stamping on the receiver. The post was dated May 06. I plan to call Springfield tomorrow to see if they can give me any insight on this issue. If anyone else has happened across this or owns a M1A with this same birth defect  that can give me any more info on this matter please let me know. I'm wondering if these will be worth more to diehard SA collectors? I'm curious to see how many of these made it out the door. Thanks for your time.

Darlow
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
From the canon,

"On rare occasion, the M1A receiver heel has been stamped erroneously.  The letter I is missing from SPRINGFIELD on receiver serial number 062857.  The serial number, 064922, is stamped to the right of center on the receiver heel.  Nearly 100 receivers in the 165XXX serial number range were stamped AROMRY instead of ARMORY.  Specific examples of AROMRY marked M1A receiver serial numbers are 165345, 165389, 165412 and 165418.  Obviously, these unintentional markings are only cosmetic in nature and have no bearing on the fit or function of the rifle."

Reference: Springfield Armory, Inc.  Letter to Mario J. Gravina dated October 15, 2004.  420 West Main Street Geneseo, IL 61254.  Copy on file.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
engrish
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 2:24:58 AM EDT
[#3]
What pathetic quality control and general lack of giving a crap about what you do. Sad that people care that little about what they do and sell. I am a builder and would never ever spell my name wrong on something I built and then deliver it to a customer. Truely pathetic.

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What pathetic quality control and general lack of giving a crap about what you do. Sad that people care that little about what they do and sell. I am a builder and would never ever spell my name wrong on something I built and then deliver it to a customer. Truely pathetic.

Well I would LOVE to have one of those missed spelt recivers! Anybody have one for sale?
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 5:06:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
From the canon,

"On rare occasion, the M1A receiver heel has been stamped erroneously.  The letter I is missing from SPRINGFIELD on receiver serial number 062857.  The serial number, 064922, is stamped to the right of center on the receiver heel.  Nearly 100 receivers in the 165XXX serial number range were stamped AROMRY instead of ARMORY.  Specific examples of AROMRY marked M1A receiver serial numbers are 165345, 165389, 165412 and 165418.  Obviously, these unintentional markings are only cosmetic in nature and have no bearing on the fit or function of the rifle."

Reference: Springfield Armory, Inc.  Letter to Mario J. Gravina dated October 15, 2004.  420 West Main Street Geneseo, IL 61254.  Copy on file.

Instant collector items!
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From the canon,

Instant collector items!

Cool. I have an M1A receiver with the roll marks correctly stamped. I am happy to ruin the lettering with a Dremel and sell it as a premium to you guys as a collector piece.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
From the canon,

Instant collector items!

Cool. I have an M1A receiver with the roll marks correctly stamped. I am happy to ruin the lettering with a Dremel and sell it as a premium to you guys as a collector piece.

You are a funny man... do that and let us know how it works out for you
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I pulled these two off of a similar discussion on Battlerifles.com a couple of years ago. They are not the same rifle.  Save the pics to your PC and you can zoom in on the second one and read the serial number, it's 165412.

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote/Scooby-Doo "Rut-roh Raggy, Ringfeeld Aromry!" Unquote/Scooby...
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 4:08:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How many rifles has SAI made?

I would guess that their errors are 0.01% of total production. Probably even less. It's (realistically) impossible to catch 100% of errors when you produce at the numbers they do. So why don't you lighten up?
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Lol, SA did catch the error, after a day or two.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
From the canon,

Instant collector items!

You are a funny man... do that and let us know how it works out for you

Hey man, you gotta give the public what they want
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#13]
"UPDATE"

I email Springfield on Monday morning with questions about my mismarked M1A receiver and this is the response I received back today.

Good Afternoon,
You did receive one of about 300 rifles with the stamping error, and this mistake does add about $150.00 to the value of the rifle.  If you would like a certificate of authenticity you would need to email Carol at [email protected] with your full serial number and a credit card number with CID and expiration date, due to the certification costing $25.00.

Thank you and have a great day,

Justin Petrick
Springfield Inc.
Customer Service Representive
1-800-680-6866

I contacted Carol at Springfield and she was more than willing to send me a letter of authenticitiy in reference to this rifle, she even waived the $25 fee. People may or may not like the quality of their products but one thing Springfield Armory does have is good customer service. This isnt the first time I've called Springfield with a question and everytime I call the person on the other end could answer my question immediately or if they couldnt they got back to me with the answer in short order (usually the same day or the next day at most). Say what you will about their products but their customer service is excellent.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you serious? SA Inc is charging people who possess typographically defective product $25 to authenticate that it is a genuine screw-up?

That is either balls, or an interesting marketing bandaid.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"UPDATE"

I email Springfield on Monday morning with questions about my mismarked M1A receiver and this is the response I received back today.

Good Afternoon,
You did receive one of about 300 rifles with the stamping error, and this mistake does add about $150.00 to the value of the rifle.  If you would like a certificate of authenticity you would need to email Carol at [email protected] with your full serial number and a credit card number with CID and expiration date, due to the certification costing $25.00.

Justin Petrick
Springfield Inc.
1-800-680-6866

I contacted Carol at Springfield and she was more than willing to send me a letter of authenticitiy in reference to this rifle, she even waived the $25 fee. People may or may not like the quality of their products but one thing Springfield Armory does have is good customer service. This isnt the first time I've called Springfield with a question and everytime I call the person on the other end could answer my question immediately or if they couldnt they got back to me with the answer in short order (usually the same day or the next day at most). Say what you will about their products but their customer service is excellent.

Great, now you have a certificate of authenticity of a genuine screw up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#16]

You misspelled 'truly.'
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey, they sent me a NM rear sight aperture on the basis of a picture. sent via email.
SA does indeed have good customer service!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"UPDATE"

Good Afternoon,

Justin Petrick
Springfield Inc.
1-800-680-6866

He was kidding you know... hence the reason she "waved" the fee too....

good one too. Ya gotta love a sense of humor in customer service.
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmm,  I have some springfield armory matchpacks from Camp Perry in the late '80's that say "The Oldest Name in American Farmers"  instead of "Oldest Name in American Firearms."  I wonder if that increases their value?

Link Posted: 1/26/2008 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn they didn't offer a letter to authenticate the f'd up receiver I got.

But they did replace it.

ETA - now I think I should have kept it, if a typo makes it worth $150 more then a useless receiver would be priceless?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top