Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2003 9:48:18 AM EDT
Ok,  I have a little money to spend.

SAR-1 or Aimpoint for one of my carbines ??

I already have a SKS paratrooper that takes AK mags but I feel like I should have an AK & those Romanian guns are so affordable.
 I don't have much in the way of optics for my AR's & always find it easier to part with my money for a gun over a scope etc.
 I'd also have to get the ARMS mount for the Aimpoint.

Is the Aimpoint worth it ??

decisions decisions
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn man... thats a tough question...

But heres how I see it.

AK Pros:

You can shoot it.
You can make Liberals wet their pants.
It looks like crap and its made by Russians (or Romanians).
Bump firing.

Aimpoint Pros:
Cool looking optic thingie.
The Army uses it.

Keep in mind I dont own either of these things. Lol. . I would have to go with both then...
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Damn man... thats a tough question...
But heres how I see it.

AK Pros:
You can shoot it.
You can make Liberals wet their pants.
It looks like crap and its made by Russians (or Romanians).
Bump firing.

Aimpoint Pros:
Cool looking optic thingie.
The Army uses it.
Keep in mind I dont own either of these things. Lol. . I would have to go with both then...

yeah, I want both just a matter of time
all the extra cash I have right now will only buy me one  
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
My .02, get the AK while you can (most likely rifle to get banned/stop importation), optics will always be available and likely to only get better.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Since it appears that SAR-1s will no longer be imported, get yours now.  AimPoints will be around for a long time.
-Troy

WoW!  I hadn't heard that.

Any kind of timeline on when that's going to start??

I guess I'll head over to the AK side & find the best place to order an SAR1 !!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Theres been threads all over on it. I think I saw it at FalFiles.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy the SAR1.  Used Aimpoints can be had for very little.  I bought two Comp M's on the board for $150 each with the mounting ring, and a like new Comp M2 with a QRP mounting ring for $300 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Buy the SAR1.  Used Aimpoints can be had for very little.  I bought two Comp M's on the board for $150 each with the mounting ring, and a like new Comp M2 with a QRP mounting ring for $300 shipped.

I plan on ordering the SAR-1 Mon or Tues
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I want to pick up a SAR1 private sale in NY... gonna have to keep my eyes peeled.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Since it appears that SAR-1s will no longer be imported, get yours now.  AimPoints will be around for a long time.
-Troy

WoW!  I hadn't heard that.

Any kind of timeline on when that's going to start??

I guess I'll head over to the AK side & find the best place to order an SAR1 !!

www.aimsurplus.com has some laminated stock examples at a good price.  A friend of mine is a class II manufacturer who does ALOT of business with Century and spilled the beans to me.  The BATFE has declined to renew Century's manufacturer's license, somebody screwed up and a "t" was not crossed, an "i" not properly dotted.  Century's lawyers are scrambling, filing paperwork every day with the BATFE, and they sucessfully got permission to finish out production on the guns that were already on the line, but that's it.  At the same time, the Romanian company that has been exporting the parts kits has doubled the price on them.  Rumor mill has it that Interordnance is trying to pick up the import/export contract as a way to rebound from their FAL debacle; personally I don't see how they would have enough capital left over to do it, but hey I don't work for them or anything so how would I know?  By the way, Century did sucessfully keep their import license, so we can be assured that we will see more crappy Carcanos and Mosin-Nagants.

In other interesting news, Norinco has been banned from importing ANYTHING into the US for two years.  I'm not sure where the ban came from but I've heard it was the executive branch, as a punishment for selling arms to "rogue states" or something.  Sounds to me like we started loooking at some AK recievers in Afghanistan and Iraq and quite a few of them had Chinese stars on the side... so anyway, if you want one of those funky Norinco shotguns, now's the time.

P.S.  Get the SAR-1.  An SKS is a very different animal than an AK--anyone who wants a Kalashnikov, THE gun of the 20th century, and doesn't get one for $300 now, is going to be sorry when even the cheap stamped-and-pinned Romanians start selling for 5 or 6 hundred dollars down the road.

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Laminated_Stock_Romanian_SAR_1_7_62x39_Rifle.html

Top Top