Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 4:17:38 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting an SA58 or a M1A1 for a do it all rifle. But I'v not heard how accurata the SA58? Also how accurate are they compared to the M1A1?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:35:29 AM EDT
[#1]
    You have to take into account a few things when talking about accuracy, first is what kind of ammo are you using (makes a BIG difference) and second (most important) can you shoot?? its not about the rifle its about what the person holding the rifle can do with it....now that said, I have owned both rifles, to me there both extremely accurate battle rifles but if I had to choose just one I would go with the FAL everytime.......why?  the FAL is VERY reliable(love the fact that there is a gas adjustment knob for different types of ammo,BIG PLUS there.....M14 doesnt), feels great in the hands, EXTREMELY EASY to field strip and clean...M14 noway, and last but not least parts and mags are so damn cheap......get the FAL you wont go wrong
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you mean M1A or M14 rifle instead of the M1A1?  If so I own 5 FALs and1 M1A, the M1A came out of the box shooting 1" MOA at 100 yrds with match ammo.  My best shooting FAL does 1.5" groups.  Both are great rifles and I think everyone should own at least one of each and I really dont prefer one over the other.  Case in point just buy both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
My SA58 Predator just produced (2) 4 shot groups of under 1" (.68 and .87) using handloaded Sierra 165gr GameKing bullets.  Loaded to a low velocity but it almost produced a 1-ragged-hole group down at 2320fps.  Clearly it's capable of good shooting with the right recipe.  Most other ammo hangs out in the 1.25" to 2" depending on type and quality.

ETA: The trigger is God-awful.  It's hard to know when it will break and as such it creates lots of called fliers.  I have developed a technique that helps iron that out but it's only realy practical when you have all day to make the shot or are prone/benched.  The trigger sucks for fine field shooting from anything other than prone.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Where is a good place to buy the DSA? I'v looked all over the net but found nothing but from DSA. How is the Gray wolf and Predator? Also what are the prices of these two rifles?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]
DSA

The Predator runs about $1400 to $1600 depending on options and caliber.  The Greywolf runs over $2000 but has a match bull barrel.  You can order direst and ship to an FFL, or you can see if a local FFL will give you a better price using thier discount to order.  Be prepared for a lllloooonnnnnnngggggg wait.

The Greywolf seems to have the better barrel.  That said the Predator seems to shoot quite well and lacks the heavy bull barrel. If you plan to use them for hunting that may play more of a role than accuracy.  FALs are quite heavy as is so adding more weight just makes it harder on you.

<removed>  -  Gunsmith says headspace is fine so I'm looking at other reasons for the case split.  Not fair to lay it on DSA if it's not a build issue.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
tayous1 = Where to buy ? One of your local FFL shops should be a dealer for DSA rifles - shop around a bit. You can use the DSA web site to identify the rifle you want then deal with the shop to make the order. Expect to wait as bit as most rifles are backed up - so you need to allow adaquate lead time for delivery. Most CAI rifles work with only a few needing additional work. IMO however the DSA products are superior to CAI rifles (fit, finish and function) and will in most cases appreciate over time whereas the CAI product will do well to hold it's own.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top