Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2002 11:09:22 AM EDT
Contemplatng getting one for my wife to use for home security.  She's to recoil sensitive for a AR, ten shots and she's sportin' a bruised shoulder for a couple weeks.  Pros and cons from actual PC9 owners would be greatly appreciated. Do after market, hi-cap, P-Series 9mm mags such as Promag and Triple K work well or is it Ruger mag finicky?  Thanks in advance for the input.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont have any first hand experiance but my wife is planning on getting one for the same reason. She is a little on the petite side and the AR is a bit heavy for her but the PC9 is perfect. She really likes the way it feels. She is also a big 9mm Glock nut so this keeps her ammo all the same.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#2]
What about the Kel Tec Sub 2000?  Don't they have a little carbine out that uses hi-caps from various manufacturers? (Glock, Beretta, etc.)  I'm kind of interested in one of these myself (either the Ruger or the KelTec) for plinking fun.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Penrod, in your situation it sounds like a good choice.  Best.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#4]
the PC9 is excellent.  You may want to install a Trijicon sight on it for low light use, and the ghost ring is a little large for accuracy at any distance.  Recoil is almost non-existant, and aftermarket hi-caps work fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What about the Kel Tec Sub 2000?  Don't they have a little carbine out that uses hi-caps from various manufacturers? (Glock, Beretta, etc.)  I'm kind of interested in one of these myself (either the Ruger or the KelTec) for plinking fun.

-Gloftoe

I looked into the Kel-Tecs as well. The ones chambered for Glock mags are the hardest to come by and are quite a bit more $$ than the PC9.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Just make sure you get good mags.
Its solidly build so its not going to ba a real lightweight rifle.
Ghost ring is good for "across the room" distance, But I installed a leupold 1" red-dot just for plinking. 6" steel plate are effortless target in this config.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I knew I could count on ya for info.  I'll give that Ruger PC9 a nice new home tomorrow.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out one that had an adventure...
(you have to try REALLY hard to hurt one!)

communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-stop.html
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad has one and he loves it. It's built like a brick $hit house. Very simple to use and maintain. Even USA brand mags work in it.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Have used and shot a few of these and been very impressed.  They will handle nearly any flavor of 9mm ammo effortlessly.  I ran a few different weights of ammo through a chronograph from one of these and found that 115 and 124 grain bullets could gain 15-25% in speed from its barrel!  135 and 147 grain bullets varied, but usually either gained or lost just a little speed.

One of these loaded with Gold Dot 124gr JHP would be good defensive medicine.  Make sure she practices!  When a mag runs out, you don't slap in a mag and pull the charging handle, you put in a mag and depress the bolt release onthe left.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I see no one has commented on the absolutely (intentionally) HORRIBLE trigger they have.  Let me see if I can compare it to something...Well, I've drawn a blank...suffice to say you have to squeeze like hell and when it breaks it does so with a snap.

I bought my wife one as her first rifle...aside from the politically correct "cop safe" trigger, it's a fantastic rifle.  Unfortunately in a moment of weakness I traded it for(yes, I traded it, not her, man did that cause a few problems) a S&W 640.  Get it, you won't regret it.

Edited to add one thing...Have you considered a Marlin Camp 9?  I know they're considerably cheaper, and if it matters to you they're a lot less black and scary...after all, what does a civilian need with a PoliceCarbine 9, anyway ;)
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
...after all, what does a civilian need with a PoliceCarbine 9, anyway ;)

Are you serious????? With this kind of logic you are only helping Sarah Brady (is she dead yet?) and her cause. You share the same opinion that the grabbers have been trying to force down our throats for years.
I guess I will get rid of MY PC9, AR, P93.... and only keep my Winchester. BUT, then again, what DO I need with a lever action that holds TEN rounds of 44 Magnum!!??

Shalom,

Allen

ISRA/JPFO/NRA
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh, and by the way, the PC9 is an excellent carbine that does the job it was desinged for quite well. Accurate, reliable as hell, built like a tank. Ruger.

Allen
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:01:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Besides......It`s not one of them "nasty" ...assault rifles..........yet.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#15]
IIRC, the Marlin Camp 9 is lighter (and cheaper) than the Ruger, and can accept S&W model 59 mags.  Marlin also made a much sought after, but discontinued, camp carbine in .45 that takes 1911 mags.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't shoot mine much, but it hasn't jammed yet.  It is compact, tough, and fairly accurate.

Good things about it:

- easy to attach rings to it
- reliable with even USA and KKK magazines
- hi-caps are easy to find cheap
- can be modified to take Glock mags
- about as much recoil as 10/22
- in the rare event it doesn't fire, you can absolutely beat the hell out of your attacker with it

Downsides (or if I had my druthers):

- No way to attach a sling
- Awful damned heavy
- Trigger is stiff, and Ruger won't sell hammer/sear parts to consumers.
- factory blade sight sucks: it moves around and
is in a bad place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top