Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 4:20:27 PM EDT
Are they any good.

And, YES, I did a search and didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Their little gallery guns have a good rep; no clue about their lever rifles, though.

Excuse me for asking, why would you prefer a Rossi over a Marlin in a lever???????????????????
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I just saw a Taurus mdl 61 today in the local gunstore.   Great looking little lever action.   You might consider it also.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Their little gallery guns have a good rep; no clue about their lever rifles, though.

Excuse me for asking, why would you prefer a Rossi over a Marlin in a lever???????????????????

Just curious, I've been wanting a nice little .357 lever gun and would prefer a Marlin.  Saw a Rossi on the EE and was just wondering about it
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Because the best (WINCHESTER) went out of business
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I personally think that Winchester lever actions SUCK and would NEVER EVER own one again.  IMO, there is NO comparison between a Winchester and a Marlin lever action rifle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Rossi, I think is the only one making a M-92 reproduction, Those are nice rifles, smooth action.. Nothing like a Win'94. The orginial Winchester, 1886's and 1892's were probably the best lever guns ever made, They had it all over Marlin... But then again, JMB Did design them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I personally think that Winchester lever actions SUCK and would NEVER EVER own one again.  IMO, there is NO comparison between a Winchester and a Marlin lever action rifle.

My dad has a Winchester 92 and a Marlin 94, both in .25-20.   They are both original, and both shoot great, but I'll take the Winchester over the Marlin any day.   Not sure exactly why, the condition is the same, I just like the Win better.

I do think that the Rossi repos are nice looking guns.  I haven't had the chance to fir one yet, but that wouldn't stop my from buying one.   A 92 would be pretty cool.   Please post pictures when you get one.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I have never felt a Winchester action that was anywhere near as smooth as a Marlin
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have never felt a Winchester action that was anywhere near as smooth as a Marlin

I have foudn that the older Winchester and Marlin guns tended to be equally smooth (the exception being the '73 and '76 rifles which blew all the others out of the water for smoothness)

that said I absolutely hate the feel of the newer marlins, just not that smooth, whereas my newer Winchesters tended to either be smooth, ro they smoothed up real fast with some minor shooting.

Brownings were always smooth, but I rarely see them up here, and I dislike soem of  the other manufacturers of levers because of the kinds of safeties they put on them (Tang sucks but is livable, push pin hammer block sucks, and the oens mounted right into the bolt truly stink)

Now after all that, My preferred action is the 73, and my preferred heavy calibered action is the 92 (in .454) the 94 winchester and Marlin actions won't handle the casull round unfortunately

Edit to add back to topic that Rossi levers are mostly unknown to me, thoguh I think they are releasing a .22 lever based off the old model 90 pump, except with a lever
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#10]
"are they any good?"

i don't have one but i want a model '92 in .454
and i do know they've been selling those lever rifles and carbines for a long time, so they must be doing something right..
i'll trade you my Marlin M1894 .357 for a Winchester M94 .44mag or Rossi .44mag
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 16" Model in 44Magnum, excellent rifle.

A good friend has a 16" 44Mag Marlin, this too is an excellent rifle, Just different.

The Marlin in many ways is techincally the 'better' rifle, But i'd never swap the Rossi for for one.
If you want add a scope, and be very modern, get a Marlin.
(There is the obvious price difference)

My Rossi is an early model, it has a great appeal in how simple the design is. It's a straight 92 copy. No safety devices except your trigger finger. No much to go wrong.
It fulfil's many roles, it is a great scrub gun, light, powerful and easy to carry and goodly accurate to 100 Metres. Great gun pick up going out of the house just 'cos
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a stainless M92 in .357 magnum. Beautiful gun, and a LOT of fun to shoot. Accurate and reliable with any brass-cased ammo, but it didn't feed the aluminum-cased Blazer ammo very well at all.

Edited because my typing sucks so bad, I can't even spell ".357" right, the first time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a 92 in 45 Colts and it kicks ass ...w/ handloads , factory .45 is is pretty lame . Theres a guy in Texas IIRC who tunes them up and has parts .

It one slick little carbine especially if you had a Daisy "Spiting Image" BB gun as a 6 year old . I spose it was supposted to be a 94 but this 92 Rossi carries just like it ....a BB gun w/ 10 rds of very impresive 280-300 gn. hand loads . I wont even mention the powder charge .

I've got an older Rossi pump .22 , It's one of my favorites . I'm left handed and a sucker for hammer guns w/ half cock safties....the older ones w/o the damn saftey on top of the bolt .
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, they are nice.  No "PC" crossbolt safety either.  They are quite popular with the SASS crowd.    Lookie here for some nice ones...

www.stevesgunz.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top