Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:10:49 AM EDT
Due to this shortage, I've been scrounging primers wherever I can, and usually in small amounts due to limited supplies and wanting to leave some for the next guy. I'm reloading .45 ACP. I started out with CCI 330, then got some Remington 2 1/2s, then finally some Winchester WLP. I originally worked up my loads with the CCI 300s, and am about to start using the Remington 2 1/2s. Do I need to rework my loads? They are all standard primers. I'm not near max loads and am reloading for target/plinking ammo. I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I wanted to make sure.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Although accuracy may suffer a little I wouldn't have a problem with swapping primers in mid level loads in a low pressure round like the 45 ACP.  I would however rework when switching from standard to magnum primers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
For general plinking purposes I would say as long as your loads are not balls to the wall, swapping out should not be a large issue in most non magnum handgun car applications swapping out LP for LP ie WLP for CCI 300 or the same for small pistol rounds, too.  But, swapping in all other applications prudence dictates a rework of the load.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on the cartridge and how hot it's loaded.

Anything near max I'll rework it.

Standard velocity 38 special or 45acp, I'll run it accross the chrono if the primers are non-magnum but I've never noticed much difference.

Non-magnum to magnum primers in anything usually gets a rework

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
If the load's at or near max, back off a bit when you make this change.  

For a lower power load, I myself wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the load's at or near max, back off a bit when you make this change.  

For a lower power load, I myself wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with Vini.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent. I may end up reworking, but right now I want to load ammo, not keep retesting. Thanks for the confirmations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top