Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2005 4:08:56 AM EDT
From Marlin's Website:

Model 917V

Here’s fast company for smallbore hunters. Our Model 917V was the blued steel launching platform for the 17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire. Firing a high-performance V-MAX boat-tail jacketed bullet, it generates at least 25% more muzzle velocity than the 22 Win. Mag. The Model 917V features a heavy 22" 17 caliber barrel, 7-shot clip, and a rugged walnut finished hardwood Monte Carlo stock with sling swivel studs.

Caliber 17 Hornady Mag. Rimfire
Capacity 7-shot clip
Action Bolt action; thumb safety; red cocking indicator.
Stock Walnut finished hardwood with swivel studs; Monte Carlo styling with full pistol grip; tough Mar-Shield® finish.
Barrel Heavy 22" (4 grooves)
Twist Rate  1:9" r.h.
Sights No sights provided, but receiver is grooved for scope mount; drilled and tapped for scope bases (scope bases included).
Overall Length 41"
Weight 6 lbs.  

Here's Hokie's Set Up:
For Optics I have a BSA Sweet 17 Scope which has bullet drop cams for elevation adjustments sitting snug and low to the barrel in Weaver Rings.  This was the lowest mounting set up I could find.

My review:

WOW!  First, let me say that the 17HMR cartridge is a sleeping monster.  Shooting Federal Premium 17 grain V-Shok ammo, my groups at 100 yards are Sub MOA.  My groups at 200 yards are within 2 MOA....although a little low.  I haven't had the opportunity to explore the Sweet 17 Scope yet, maybe next weekend.  What amazes me is the speed of this bullet and the inherent accuracy of this rifle.  For the money invested, this gun is a sure bet and will be an intergral component of my arsenal!  No recoil whatsoever - it's like a pellet gun.  The 18X magnification, although excessive, REALLY lets you look for your rounds after you touch em off.  I'm used to low power mag scopes, so that'll take some getting used to.  The lowest setting is 6, which is where the majority of my shooting will be viewed at.  The scope has an adjustable objective to compensate or whatever range you're aiming at.

The rifle set up is a winner and the scope is a nice add to the gun.  I think it's worth nothing the limitations of the 17HMR though....being that it's SO fast and SO light and SO narrow it's very subject to winds and a variety of situations that'd knock it off course.  Today's weather is mostly calm and my range is sheltered from excessive winds.  My point being that past 200 yards...the bullet cam on the Sweet 17 will only carry you so far.  Since the bullet is so light, compensating for it could be an exercise in futility.  BUT...it's nice to know it's there.   The cam goes out in 5 yard increments to 300.

For small game, yotes, and whatever else you can think of...this gun is in my opinion excellent.

The T900 factory trigger set up is a nice add to a rimfire.  You could still polish it up some, as the trigger is my one and only point of improvement for the gun, which may be overkill but hey I'm an Arfcommer and I'll find fault in ANYTHING.  Considering my groups I don't have a lot of room to bitch.

Total invested in the gun is about $250.

That's all!  Just some easy Saturday morning reading for you all.  Have a good weekend.

H

Link Posted: 4/9/2005 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like this caliber wouldn't be much accurate over 100 yards due to the light bullet weight being easily drifted from wind, IMO. Marlin makes a damn fine rifle, I own 3 of them!
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Seems like this caliber wouldn't be much accurate over 100 yards due to the light bullet weight being easily drifted from wind, IMO. Marlin makes a damn fine rifle, I own 3 of them!

Like I said my groups at 200 yards were excellent, but it was a calm morning.  Given the unpredictable weather, you are certainly correct.  On a windy day, you'll do well hitting a 4" target with the 17HMR at 100 yards...*spoken in theory*
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
How is recoil and report compaired to a .22LR?  Or, maybe a better question is, would the .17HMR be a good gun for a child?

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 4:01:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How is recoil and report compaired to a .22LR?  Or, maybe a better question is, would the .17HMR be a good gun for a child?

GBT, I think the recoil is comparable but I say that only cause my 22lr is a Remington 597 and the 917V has a heavy bull barrel.  The report is in my opinion the same as well, maybe a little louder.  I've always worn ear protection so I don't think I can't tell the difference really.  For a child, I'd stick to the 22lr as 1) the ammo is WAY cheaper - 50 rnds of good 17HMR will run you about $10 2) the 17HMR is a hot round and a lot less forgiven on the target than a 22lr. and 3) the rifle's chambered in 22lr may be a little more balanced for a younger frame.
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info Hokie.

Link Posted: 4/10/2005 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Hokie,

Here is my Savage 17hrm, Laminated stock, Leupold Rifleman scope and Leupold QR rings.

I have yet to shoot this, guess I need to get busy.

Glad to hear your Marlin is a good shooter.

Link Posted: 4/10/2005 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hokie,

Here is my Savage 17hrm, Laminated stock, Leupold Rifleman scope and Leupold QR rings.

I have yet to shoot this, guess I need to get busy.

Glad to hear your Marlin is a good shooter.

fototime.com/0E97D2FBF272980/standard.jpg

fototime.com/4204A849CE72F67/standard.jpg

You're gonna love it!
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey guys, for those of you with kids, do not overlook the MACH 2.  A 22 longrifle necked down to a 17. 6 bucks a box versus 10 for the HMR. All my boys got 22's for christmas and they all fight over my new 17. My 22 magnum Marlin looks like it has been retired now. Yes, the wind is heck on this little round at 100, but when it is calm dang it is fun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a 917 for about 3 days til momma got to shoot it,  now she owns a 917,    awsome little guns though,   especially on turkey and turtles.  I did find the BSA Scope is useless,  nice attempt though,   for some reason mine ges  "off"  every now and then.  
Top Top