Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2010 11:27:35 AM EDT
By far, the worst ammo I can buy for my 10/22 is the Remington Thunderbolt.

I get at least 2 jams per mag, usually one within the first couple of rounds and one later on (25 round mag).  Additionally to constantly jamming, I've also started to realize that no two Thunderbolt rounds sound the same when fired.  Some make a pop, others make a thud while others sound like they barely made it out of the barrel.

I mad the mistake of buying a case of this ammo when it was on sale at Bass Pro for $1.50/box.  Never again.

I have had good success with the Winchester 333's sold at Wal-Mart.  I shot about 300 rounds today and not a single problem.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine eats them like their are candy but I hate them because they are so messy and weak.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
My 10-22 will shoot one hole groups with TB's all day. Feeds fine and no failure to eject.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My 10-22 will shoot one hole groups with TB's all day. Feeds fine and no failure to eject.

Interesting, all my guns shoot Thunderbolts fine but they're not very accurate compared to other 22 rounds out there
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
My experience (around 3 - 10 duds per box)...

The Marlin 795 eats them lbeautifully, and with decent accuracy often ~ inch. This one likes the Remmy's better than the Ferderal bulk packs. Go figure.

(one flier)

The 22/45 love them too.

Aside from the issues with Ruger 10/22 mags () one shoots them okayl (~ 2" at 50 yards) the other hates them (>3" at 50 yards).

The 2 CZ's, TBD.

Not my preference to shoot but I have boat loads of it because they were all that I could find locally later into the ammo drought.

For the kids to plink they are acceptable.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Lesson one for rimfire .22 firearms:

You firearm will have its own favorite ammo. Your firearm does not care what it cost, or what others think of its choice. It will chose the ammo it likes. Your buddy may have the same model rifle as you own but, his rifle will like a different ammo. You may have several rifles yourself but each will have its own favorite. Again, price or availability of the ammo does not matter to your firearm. It likes what it likes, period.

I have "several" .22 rimfires. They have taught me this lesson well. In my ammo locker I have six or eight different brands and types of ammo for these guys. Each had his own favorite. Its just the way it is!
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Every rifle likes different ammo.  Mine hates remington, jams, fte, ftf.

However, its also super dirty.  after 100 rounds it looks like I've fired 500 rounds of federal.

Just my experiences.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
No problems with Remington ammo but its very dirty stuff.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

By far, the worst ammo I can buy for my 10/22 is the Remington Thunderbolt.

I get at least 2 jams per mag, usually one within the first couple of rounds and one later on (25 round mag).  Additionally to constantly jamming, I've also started to realize that no two Thunderbolt rounds sound the same when fired.  Some make a pop, others make a thud while others sound like they barely made it out of the barrel.

I mad the mistake of buying a case of this ammo when it was on sale at Bass Pro for $1.50/box.  Never again.

I have had good success with the Winchester 333's sold at Wal-Mart.  I shot about 300 rounds today and not a single problem.

Generally they do suck and that is why I use them in my revolvers. Also, amazingly, they have been very accurate in one of my S&W M-41s. But for 10/22s there are a no-go pretty much.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:18:10 AM EDT
[#9]
of all the rimfire ammo out there, remington takes top prize for crap- ever since ammo production was moved from bridgeport to Arkansas, quality went in the crapper. Look in any ranges "dud caN" and I bet 90% of the misfired rounds in there will be remington
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#10]
agreed.  I threw 12 boxes in the trash.  Box-o'-Duds

win 333 is really good stuff though!  shoots great!

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:53:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Remington is crazy dirty, so is the Federal bulk packs...which i also have the problem of no two rounds sounding alike.

Everything i have put into my 10/22 magazine has fed and ejected fine, the only problem i have is if i'm shooting rem or fed bulk, the magazine gets so dirty after a while it stops feeding reliably, so i have to clean it out and it goes back to 100%

CCI MiniMags are my favorite though.  Never had a problem, they group one hole out of my GM barrel and kill squirrels as far as i can see them through the early season leaves.

Once the leaves fall off, and longer shots present themselves....the 17HMR comes out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I sold all mine off last year. They were just too dirty and accuracy wasn't anything great.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't understand why Remington even sells that junk. Must be made in China and they get it really cheap !!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for winchester bulk 333 or 555.  Mine loves it and I can't recall the last time one misfired.  Remington patterns rather than groups and I get about 5% duds. plus lots of jams for good measure.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Never had problems with the Thunderbolts.

the Golden Bullet's on the other hand......................
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
agreed.  I threw 12 boxes in the trash.  Box-o'-Duds

win 333 is really good stuff though!  shoots great!

I've had bad luck with the Win 333, my Ruger 22/45 Mk III hates it. I just stick with Federal 550, which works great in every .22lr firearm I own.

All Remington rimfire ammo I've used has been total crap. Thunderbolts are under powered and lead the barrel like crazy and Golden Bullets have a week crimp that causes failures to feed in a lot of semiauto's.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I like Remington, however if a box of rifle ammo has "Remington" on it I'll pass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#19]
None of my rimmies's liked TB's, not even my bolt gun (CZ 452 varmint, some wouldn't even chamber). Loose heads, oversize cases, oversize heads, no primer, duds......utter garbage. No wonder it was so cheap...................
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#20]
All my 22's hate rem. ammo

3 10/22

2 mod60

2 ar15 with conversions

2 Winchester bolt guns

1 mosquito

1 buckmark

1 22/45

None can get through 10 rounds without a FTF and several cant go without stove pipes.

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Use them in my bolt rifles and revolvers..got a shitpot about five cases back when reasonable priced at about five bucks a brick or less on special
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#22]
the golden bullets suck even more. I mean...I want my money back.....
Link Posted: 7/27/2010 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Personally I think all Remington bulk pack rimfire ammo sucks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#24]
You've got that right! I wrote them with my issues and questions and have had know reply. I literally could not get 2 rnds two fire in a row. Put CCI's in not one miss 150 rnds.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

This. I have 5k of thunderbolts around and they shoot fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#26]
my savage likes them, and the golden bullets too, 10 rounds each at 25yds. Top GB's,  bottom TB's

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I have had failer to ignite powder with bullets stuck in bore with thunder bolts many times. Then you get the poofs where you don't know if it really fired or what happened and then even when you have a good day with the going bang they are the filthiest little bastards you can shoot i wouldn't waste your money not with all the other choices out there
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#28]
my 10/22 hates TB, but loves golden bullets and super X.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I like the golden bullets, I buy them over other bulk pack .22's.  Most of my .22's feed and fire it just fine, my savage MKII shoots them very well, all 5 of my 10-22's like it, but my Marlin 60 sometimes has trouble feeding and ejecting while my 2 Marlin 795's have no problem. I think the hollow point on the GB's is a little better on small game than the federal bulk pack. When we go rabbit hunting the GB's get a lot more one shot kills than the Fed bulk HP's. The Fed would still kill rabbits just fine, but ofthen it would take one shot to anchor them down and another to finish them off.

Thunderbolts, I bought some on a end of year clearance, and they sucked! like others have already said, some sound quite a bit louder than others, and dirty dirty. They functioned fine im my Beretta U-22, so I shot them all out of that and a single shot rifle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I stay away from all Remignton .22 LR ammo.  3 years ago I tried their thunderbolts, golden bullets, and Target ammo.  I have decided the following:  Thunderbolts were very dirty and lead the barrel easily.  Golden bullets had way too many failure to fire.  Those that did fire the report was inconsistant.  Some would break the sound barrier while others would not.  Target was ok.  Everything functioned as it should but there are better options.  

Note:  Durning this time I tested this ammo Remington produced some bad batches especially the golden bullets.  I have seen reports on Rimfire central that this has been corrected.  I however have found better alternatives and have not looked back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top