Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 8:24:41 AM EDT
I used Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers in .223 rounds not knowing you shouldn't do that (Thanks to AeroE for telling me).  However, I loaded about 300-400 rounds w/ them already, shot about half and everything was fine.  I'm using 55 grain FMJ bullets and 24 grains of IMR 4895, so I'm about 2 grains below the max.  Will it be OK to shoot what I have left?

Also, why can't you use Rem 6 1/2 in .223 or the other 2 or 3 calibers it lists in print so small an ant would need a microscope?  What could happen?  Seems to me the primer goes off and then it wouldn't matter what happens, as far as the primer is concerned.  However, they must put that on there for a reason, so what is it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC the 6 1/2 has a thin cup that may burst or be pierced by the firing pin under higher pressures like what .223 rounds generate.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I made the same mistake and shot quite a few before I learned of the error.

I deprimed some and shot the rest.

I would advise depriming, but nothing happened to mine - middle of the road loads though.  YMMV Greatly!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IIRC the 6 1/2 has a thin cup that may burst or be pierced by the firing pin under higher pressures like what .223 rounds generate.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
They are just like the CCI-400, they will work on light to mod loads but will pierce on hot loads, some people only use CCI400 primers but they don't shoot hot loads but they are rated for no more than the 6 1/2 is. Like Aero said shoot them but if even one pierce stop and pull down the rest because it isn't worth messing your rifle up for some $.03 primers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They are just like the CCI-400, they will work on light to mod loads but will pierce on hot loads, some people only use CCI400 primers but they don't shoot hot loads but they are rated for no more than the 6 1/2 is. Like Aero said shoot them but if even one pierce stop and pull down the rest because it isn't worth messing your rifle up for some $.03 primers.

I have never heard that about CCI 400 primers, and I have used quite a lot of them.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never heard that about CCI 400 primers, and I have used quite a lot of them.

I've found them to pierce fairly easily, the CCI 400 I mean.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll have to keep an eye on them, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top