Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/28/2001 6:37:15 PM EDT
Guys, the first year of my new gun hobby is about to come to an end. Previous to this year I had just a 10-22 and a NEF 20 gauge and so the cost of ammo was not a concern. Now I have an AR and a few handguns so I want to look into reloading.

What do I need to get started? Mostly I'll want to reload 45acp, 9mm, and 40s&w. I'm not too worried about the 223 yet as I heard necked down cases are tougher.

So what equiptment needed to start, and what type of finacnical commitment is this gonna take? Any links to on-line sites would help. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:12:19 PM EDT
Try the Dillon site.If you are just going to reload pistol try a Square Deal B.

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:22:01 PM EDT
If you want to do precision reloading or reloading in small amounts then get a Single Stage press is the way to go.

I like RCBS Rockchucker..A lot of reloading companies put together "kits" which will include almost everything you need for reloading.

Such as the RCBS Master Reloader Kit.

If you want to reload large amounts of ammo (but with less precision) then a good progressive press is the way to go.
Dillon makes a wonderful progressive press.

Though my advice to a beginner is to get a Single Stage press...because it is easier to keep track of everything going on.

You should also get more than one Reloading Manual. But one reloading manual that you should DEFINATELY have is Lymans Reloading Manual. Since Lymans has a LOT of information for beginning reloaders.

Always follow directions...keep your work area clean and well ordered. Take notes and record your loads. Weigh all of your powder charges. and NEVER NEVER exceed loads listed in your manuals. NEVER have more than one jar of powder open. Don't drink or eat while reloading. Don't have anything around that can distract you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:41:14 PM EDT
Handgun calibers and straight walled rifle cartridges like the .30 Cal Carbine really rock on a Dillon Press.

Once you get set up and running its easy to put out hundreds of rounds per hour with just about any of the Dillon machines.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:57:33 PM EDT
Take this thread to the reloading post and you will get more feed back... but since you asked, i think the dillon is the way to go. Handgun reloading on a single stage really is slow! and the bottle cartridges like .223 are much easier than hand gun on any press....pat
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:00:33 PM EDT
If your going to reload pistol, I highly recommend the Dillon square deal B. I actually have a Dillon 550 and a square deal. I find I use the square deal much more than the 550 because of the auto indexing function. Some day I'll sell them both and get a 650 or better yet a 1050! You can check them out at Dillon's website:

http://www.dillonprecision.com
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:17:11 PM EDT
I'd buy a couple of reloading manuals first. Or at least look through a couple, most of the good ones offer advised on how to set things up, what your going to do and why. This is a great hobby, the question down the road will be do you reload to shoot or do you shoot to reload? Kinda like the chicken and the egg.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:00:53 PM EDT
Ive got the Ronco Rotisserre Progressive Positive Loader!

I can grill 2 whole chickens or 8, 1lb burgers and load 300 rds of 9mm in an hour.

Just kiddin y'all.

I have the Dillon 550 and reload, 9mm, 45acp and 45 Colt. I read thru the Speer and Lyman manuals before I actually did any setting up of said mechanisms.

Read all you can, and having someone you know that ahs doen the setup helps.

Out of 10,000 rds or so i've loaded 3 were squibs;my bad.

Have fun!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:17:34 PM EDT
Saying that reloading on a progressive press produces better accuracy is not more accurate than saying you will be more accurate with a bolt action rifle over an autoloader.

Both are old wive's tales

Dillon 550 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:47:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2001 7:46:45 PM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
Everything Bostonterrier97 said! Well put.

I have the RCBS Rockchucker Master Kit and it is a great package to cut your teeth on. I mostly reload rifle ammo, but I also do some 357/38 stuff too. Necked rifle ammo is easier to do since there are only two dies that you need: the resizer/decapper and the seater/crimper. Straight-walled cartridges like most pistol ammo and .45-70 etc. require a third die to flare the mouth before seating.

I can't speak to progressive presses, since I've never used one. The main thing I'd watch out for on those is powder charge consistency. I use an RCBS powder thrower and if I use extruded powder, it can vary some. Ball powder is dead-on though. Only occasional minor tweaking is needed. This may not be the case on all throwers though.

If you're looking for match-grade consistency, (and especially if you're a klutz like me ), start with a single-stage press. If you're looking to do volume, (and your caliber selections suggest you are), a progressive press may be the answer.

If you happen to choose the RCBS Master Kit, you will also need to pick up a tumbler and some walnut media for cleaning. Midway has some great stuff there. You will also need something to separate the brass from the media, but an ordinary kitchen collander will do just fine. You will probably also need loading blocks. The kit comes with 1, but I use more. I find that the plastic trays used in .40 S&W boxes work great for lots of calibers, including .223.

Also make sure you get at least two reloading manuals. I'd get one from a powder maker and another from a bullet maker so you get a good selection of powder and bullet data. The manuals from powder makers tend to give mostly data for their powders (imagine that). I'd recommend the Hodgedon book and the Speer or Hornady manual, although I'm sure there are other good ones out there. If you're planning on using specialty bullets (say Nosler or whatever), grab their book.

Hope that helps.
Top Top