Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2017 11:12:58 AM EDT
Has anyone here heard of these guys? I just discovered them yesterday and I'm more than slightly intrigued. The idea of a lightweight suppressor for only a little more than the cost of the stamp is extremely appealing to me. They rate the .30-cal for big boy calibers and semi-auto / some bump-firing, so evidently they think highly of the aluminum construction.

I emailed them to ask about sound testing with one or more of the modular baffles removed and if they have tested for POI shift. That last one is the big deal maker or breaker for me; I have need of three suppressors for .308 so I stand to save a lot of money (I've been leaning most towards Thunder Beast and Crux), but I sure as hell don't want to see groups wandering or opening up just because of the suppressor choice.

Edit: looks like it was my internet and not their website. I'll post some of their stats in a minute.

SOS-Hunter
    *Caliber: .17 to .300 Win Mag* Length: 10 inches max (has four modular baffle sections + a base section)* Weight: 10.8 ounces (presumably max?)* Diameter: 1.5 inches* Noise reduction: 25 dBA on .308 (presumably at max size, no listed barrel length but the video looks 16-18")* Material: 100% 7075 aluminum* Firing capability: single shot, semi auto, light bump fire* Price: $249

SOS-22
    *Caliber: .22 LR, .22 Mag, .17 HMR* Length: 6 inches (has four modular baffle sections + a base section)* Weight: 3.4 ounces (presumably max?)* Diameter: 1.125 inches* Noise reduction: 39-41 dBA dry (presumably max size, haven't watched videos yet)* Material: 100% 7075 aluminum* Firing capability: single shot, semi auto, light bump fire* Price: $99
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know anything about them, but being that silencers are basically lifetime purchases, you might as well buy exactly what you want. Preferably from a well established brand. 
View Quote
I would agree

They may end up being great, maybe not though

I pinch pennies for established brands/cans save for the Keystone Armory .22 I have, paid $133 shipped a few Black Fridays ago. I haven't had problems and it wa last my third rimfire can and their monocore intrigued me
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Of those, there is very little in the way of reviews excepting the last article by Tyler Kee (which was a good read, so thank you for that). I suppose that does mean these guys are pretty new to market since there's a lot more product previews than owners; I wonder how many are in jail and how long it'll be until we get more end user reviews.

Quoted:
I don't know anything about them, but being that silencers are basically lifetime purchases, you might as well buy exactly what you want. Preferably from a well established brand. 
Reasonable position. I was prepared to spend the $1k-ish / can so that didn't bother me, but I did get excited at the possibility of saving some $2100+ for just the .308 cans. The siren song of cheap is a strong one, eh?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of their .22 suppressors in jail, though not one of the models you mentioned.  They have a bad habit of removing product info for their older products which is really irritating.  I have email chatted with them a couple of times and they agree that keeping historical info on the site is a great idea, yet they didn't do it even when they did a complete site upgrade.

My .22 can is their original design, not the "SOS".  It is a tube construction can using baffles similar to those used in the SOS, just inside a tube instead of screwed together.  Mine is also made with stainless steel baffles rather than aluminum (the original aluminum can and the aluminum SOS retail for $99 and the SS version I have retailed for $199).  I have fondled mine and taken it apart and it seems well made.  It is in jail at a shop without a range, so no test fire.

I "bought" the .22 SS as a "buy one get one" when I bought a SilencerCo Hybrid from Capitol Armory:  $715 for both cans.  At the time, that was a great price for just the Hybrid (though I have seen slightly lower recently), so I looked at it as a great deal on the Hybrid with a free .22 can (just pay the transfer and tax).

Rob
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The review from Tyler Kee is not at all what I would call useful and certainly not unbiased or objective. A negatively viewed product resulted in a group of negative words with a negative outcome.

First, he uses a Ruger Gunsite Scout, which are known to have trouble aligning a can to the bore as the front of the sight base is what the suppressor shoulders against. The front sight base is not machined perpendicular to the bore! The baffle strike is probably a direct result of the host used. AAC actually states to not use their mounts on the Gunsite. Next, he picks on the machining and finish which are going to be lacking for a can at this price point. That it's not pretty is fine but derogatory comments aren't needed. The "safety gear" used while wearing shorts and a t-shirt seemed more for show and acted to steer the reader to a negative opinion of the product. Firing a low round count (19) and giving up in the name of safety due to pitting and erosion of the blast baffle seemed like taking the easy way out. Tyler, if you read this, please purchase a real suppressor host that leaves no doubt the can is concentric to the bore. If you can't do that please send your rifle to Morgan at Class III Machining to get it corrected as Ruger will not guarantee suppressor specs on the Gunsite.

My Opinion: There are videos on youtube that show the SOS Hunter being shot more than what is shown in the article linked, watch what you can and form your own opinion. I would save more and purchase a SilencerCo Harvester as a budget friendly rifle can, I own one and love it! Griffin and Gemtech also make budget minded suppressors as competitors to the Harvester that you should also consider. Also, I own two Thunderbeast Ultras and while they are terrific, they are not cheap!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top