Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2009 3:15:39 PM EDT
Hey guys....I am finishing up a USC/UMP clone soon. I am going to dye the upper receiver black and I have purchased 3 bottles of RIT Black. I could not find the Dark Green RIT liquid, so I had to spring for the powder mix. I hear the green helps to keep the purple hue out of the polymer. Will the green powder suffice?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I used RIT dye on a FDE MP5 lower ..I had to use the green powder too...the final result was more charcoal gray than black..hard to tell here though

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I have done a couple USC's and have only used the liquid on them. I've heard mixed reviews about the powder and personally wouldn't try it as you should be able to order the liquid green from WalMart. The green does keep the purple out and I personally use a 4-1 black to green mix. I posted the way I dye on HKPro but others have had good results with other temps, mixes, and various voodoo. Choose your method and let us know how it turns out!  ––ST
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Pardon my ignorance but you can actually use RIT fabric dye to dye metal?  If so that is great news.  Could you post the process here as well?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I wanted to dye a body armor carrier from navy blue to black, but I dont want the white inside to change. Can I brush this stuff on or does it soak through.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wanted to dye a body armor carrier from navy blue to black, but I dont want the white inside to change. Can I brush this stuff on or does it soak through.

If you get any of the black dye on the white, it will be black. Best to just dye the whole thing for consistency.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Thanks!!  Do you know if this will also work on metal.  Thanks again.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

no clue but I would be suprised if it did

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Probably not metal, but for plastic it works well.

For metal, its best to get some sort of paint like Duracoat or Gunkote or something like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top