Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 8:03:00 PM EDT
Thanks, Folks.

I have been considering a C & R license but have 5 major/minor concerns and would appreciate any input.

1) I would no longer be able to do a friend to friend buy OR sell.
2) I would not be able to transfer a firearm to my son who is under 21 (no gift possibility).
2) I would have to keep records for umpty eleven years.
4) BATF could ask me to arrange a time and place to discuss such records, wasted time.
5) It would complicate my life and save me $75 or $100 bucks a year.

Am I wrong or it it just not worth it for the yield right now?

Keep in mind that I am a professional person who generally buys a one or 2, at most,  firearms a year, and am not engaged in any more serious business than shooting firearms legally, so any legal issues are not in question.  Having said that, I have bought 6 C & R rifles through my class 4 friend in the past few months.  These milsurps are too cool (5 K31s and a Spanish Guardia beauty).  

And the 96 Swedish Mausers would look pretty good next to the Enfields.   Nah,  not going there...

But maybe a few more K31s.

Thanks,

Rick

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
1.)  yes, you would
2.)  yes, you would, just record info on any C&R you gift him. He still has to meet the Fed age law for rifle or pistol anyway.
3.)  unless you're some super-duper crazy C&R buyer, you're record book is the size of a small     magazine.
4.)  It could happen, but nobody can name anyone who has ever had a C&R inspection. Unless they suspect you of running a business on your license, they have bigger things to worry about.
5.) stop whining and just send in the damn application
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:46:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah- you're gonna buy 1 or 2 a year- AND YOU HAVE PURCHASED 6 IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS??!! Come on. The first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is realizing its not a problem.

I am a Federal Agent by trade (Immigration). I have 2 buds that are ATF agents. We have spoke about this. THey said they never do any home inspections. The fact of the matter is they are way too busy doing way more important cases. They did say that the following could lead to some home inspections.

Lets say there is a serial murderer on the loose in ... I don't know- St. Paul Minnesota. Ballistics show that the killer is using a K31. There may be some home inspections of C&R holders in the SZt. Paul Minnesota area. They would be checking for a- the weapon in question and b- who have you transferred K31's to so that they could check there.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#3]
As far as number 3 is concerned, you only have to keep or maintain your "bound book" as long as you are licensed.  If you do not renew, you can dispose of the bound book.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I am convinced.

Thanks!

Rick
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I sent off for C & R paperwork tonight.

So, a question.  Let's say that I have my C & R and I want to sell a C & R rifle to a friend of a friend, not known to me.  How do I do it legally both within the letter and the spirit of the law?  I am into being a law abiding citizen of the Republic.  

Thanks,

Rick
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I sent off for C & R paperwork tonight.

So, a question.  Let's say that I have my C & R and I want to sell a C & R rifle to a friend of a friend, not known to me.  How do I do it legally both within the letter and the spirit of the law?  I am into being a law abiding citizen of the Republic.  

Thanks,

Rick

Don't sweat it.  It's all explained in the materials you get in "the Package". The main thing is you are able to buy "collector's items easier and have them shipped to you. saves you money by not paying another FFL for the transfer. Also, a few places give discounts to C&R FFL  holders...like Midway, Brownells, and a couple others...so you can save money on NON-C&R stuff.

Recording any sales in your bound book is pretty straigh t forward. You are allowed to "sell off" parts of your collection...but be wary that if you buy things, and then turn around and sell them right away...it'll look like you are running a business. If it's a matter of selling off an older gun to someone when you get a better specimen, or just no longer want one you've had for awhile... no biggie.

No Expert

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top