Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 8:24:05 AM EDT
For those who have dealt with DSArms in the past, could you tell me if the following is customary, or what?

First week in November I ordered a Para Congo. I asked the sales rep estimated time to deliver, and asked for a realistic date, not a feel-good reply. We're expecting barrels any day, so two to three weeks.

First week in December, with no word I call again. Barrels are there- "two to three weeks."

Week after Christmas- "two to three weeks." (I began to detect a pattern).

So yesterday I called- Waiting on receivers. I'll leave the delivery to your imagination.

This would result in a Valentines Day delivery- or not.

Based on the conversations there are two possibilities I can think of. In November they could have had all the parts except the barrel and they put them back so that when the barrel came in they could get to it. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt since she didn't say, "We're waiting on barrels AND receivers.

Or they had all the part at that time, but lacking the barrel they used them on other orders, which could result in a ping pong match so to speak.

If this is the same deal everyone else who has ordered from them has gone through I guess I would feel better, if not happy with the situation. Back in the late 90's I ordered a shotgun from scratch from Spain and a extra set of barrels. Right at 4 months. I'd like the FAL, but I'm beginning to wonder if the above is what I could expect if I dealt with them after taking delivery of the rifle and needed their services/parts, etc.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Callgood,

My experience was limited to buying a bunch of their $5 mags, a buffer, and an attempt at getting one of their cocking handles. The mags/buffer were great but, they called back after I had placed the order to tell me that they were out of stock on the handles with no estimate of a resupply time.

How does a manufacturer run out of a standard part used on the majority of their rifles and not have an estimate of when they would get more  Strange days.

Good luck, they seems to produce good stuff........when they produce it.

Blitz
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I ordered my StG58CP in October; DSA said it would be around 6 weeks. Six weeks later I had it in my hands.

I guess with the kit guns, they don't have to wait on a barrel maker.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I've personally never experienced better customer service from ANY firearm maker than I have with DSA.

I own/owned SA58's, STG58, SA58 Para Congos.

All were top shelf, beautiful rifles, and the service I've recieved has been incredible. I will say I do agree that running out of very common parts with little idea as to a delivery date has been in my experience, but quickly out weighed by all other factors.

Once you get that rifle in your hands, this glitch will fade from memory quickly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I noticed when I ordered mine several others had ordered their's before me. I ordered mine through a dealer who has a working relationship with DSA. I got mine faster than others who had ordered one months before me.

Total time from placing the order till I received mine which was a custom build was less than 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I received the same run around when I ordered my Congo last spring.

They originally quoted 6-8 weeks. In the end it took 14 weeks to get it.

Patience. You won't be disappointed when you get the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I noticed when I ordered mine several others had ordered their's before me. I ordered mine through a dealer who has a working relationship with DSA. I got mine faster than others who had ordered one months before me.

Total time from placing the order till I received mine which was a custom build was less than 6 weeks.

Southeastern? They had one, must have been Oct., but it had a 16-18" barrel, I forget the exact length. Too short for me. Possibly should have had them order, but that's water over the dam.

I would say this is the situation that proves, "one is none, two is one." I will be making a list of critical parts like I did for my AR and when/if I ever get the FAL, start to accumulate them. Probably get one or two parts per month when they are in stock- hey! at least it's easy on the budget.

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll sit back and save on the LD charges and let them surprise me. Buying a little surplus 7.62 from time to time. Should have a pretty good hoard by the time I get something to use it in.

Good shooting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Ordered an STG58 from them a couple of times, including last July. About 3-4 weeks delivery both times. So no problems with their shipping time.

If your DSA doesn't run right out of the box though, don't be too spooked (or send it back right away). Many times they take a few hundred rounds to break them in/smooth them out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#8]
My friend ordered a STG58 from them in early April last year, and it arrived in September.  It's a nice rifle, if you can stand the wait.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Great rifles....shitty customer service, a bunch of smart ass know it alls answering phones
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My friend ordered a STG58 from them in early April last year, and it arrived in September.  It's a nice rifle, if you can stand the wait.

ONE of the reasons I ordered when I did was to have it in hand before the Midterm elections, certainly before '08. Call me paranoid, but the gun grabbers won't quit. Surely I gave them enough lead time!

I think it's just the "2-3 weeks" mantra that ticked me off. I may call once more and ask them when the world is coming to an end.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I had no problems, but my FFL did.
My STG58 was supposed to be in my hands in 6 working days, it took almost 6 weeks because of the sloppy paperwork done by DSA.
Once it was straightened out I had it in 5 working days.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered a Para stock conversion kit from them and they were currently on a 4 month back order.  Just this month 4 months was up and I called them to ask what the progress on the production was.  They said that my order had been misplaced, but they sent out my parts the day of the conversation.  I got them 3 days later.  Very pleased with the service and the product!

-JZ
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ONE of the reasons I ordered when I did was to have it in hand before the Midterm elections, certainly before '08. Call me paranoid, but the gun grabbers won't quit. Surely I gave them enough lead time!

I think it's just the "2-3 weeks" mantra that ticked me off. I may call once more and ask them when the world is coming to an end.

Ever watched "The Money Pit"?  "Two weeks."

Anyway, I had a similar experiance with my "Predator" SA58.  IIRC it took about 5+ months before I had it in hand.  I would always be told 3-4 weeks were left.  I think they started to know my name because after the quoted time had doubled I started getting insistant on knowing where they were at on it.  I came within a hairs breath of saying I didn't believe there was a rifle being built and I wanted my money back.  

Turned out OK though.  It's a nice rifle.  I had some reloading issues with it, but it runs fine on any production ammo and shoots well.  Not a sniper rifle but plenty good for 50-150yds and hunting.  I'm glad I waited, but it was a loooonnnnnggggggg wait.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#15]
does anyone have a ca-legal fal?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in the process of building a CA legal FAL, just have to order my receiver from DSA this week. I'm worried about them dragging their feet when shipping to CA, I know of someone who ordered the same receiver I want to , 6wks ago and is still waiting.

Is this because of them not having any in stock, and they have to make them first?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top