Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2008 4:55:48 AM EDT
I have been looking and learning about suppressors for about the last year and am considering getting one.  I have played with an AWC but will probably go with something a little cheaper.  My main question is are there any other pros to going with Quick Detach other than the fact that it is QD.  Right now I am leaning toward getting a regular spin on suppressor so I do not have to put all the different mounts on different rifles.  Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:31:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I wasin your shoes a while back. I still haven't purchased, but this was my threshold question.  In the end, I decided that the non-QD type presented a higher possibility of damage to the threads (screwing the suppressor on and off) and the crown (which is normally shielded by the flash suppressor).
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I go with QD whenever possible.  It is a PITA to move screw on cans from one gun to another.  

-dan
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Using the same can on different guns is probably the biggest advantage.  Even if you have different thread pitches on several guns you can get a FS mount that will will thread on and then QD the can to the FS.

As for being truly QD, unless you take some oven mitts with you the can is not QD untill it cools back down.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have been looking and learning about suppressors for about the last year and am considering getting one.  I have played with an AWC but will probably go with something a little cheaper.  My main question is are there any other pros to going with Quick Detach other than the fact that it is QD.  Right now I am leaning toward getting a regular spin on suppressor so I do not have to put all the different mounts on different rifles.  Thanks for your help

I have owned a lot of those QD mounts.  Someone should rename that to QA Mounts.  They attach quick, but when you get them hot they are NOT Quick Detach.  Even with semi auto, you can get a can to 400-500 degrees with a couple magazines.  Who is going to try to take the silencer off then?  I seldom remove my 223 silencers, so if I was starting out, I would by what I consider a SEMI QUICK ATTACH system...The Gemtech Halo and the AAC Omni are in this category.

GEMTECH HALO MOUNTING SYSTEM

Gemtech Halo

AAC OMNI MOUNTING SYSTEM

AAC Omni

Both silencers fit right over your standard A2 ($8 each) and you dont have to buy prepriotory flash hiders that can cost over $100 each.  When your flashhider is covered by a silencer anyway, why spend the extra bucks?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Like I say it is not that I am that interested in The QD feature, I actually am leaning toward the thread on, I was just making sure there weren't any pros of the QD feature that I was missing.  Thanks for the info and I will welcome any other comments on the question, that may help me in my decision.  TOO MANY CHOICES!!! but hay that's half the fun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Like I say it is not that I am that interested in The QD feature, I actually am leaning toward the thread on, I was just making sure there weren't any pros of the QD feature that I was missing.  Thanks for the info and I will welcome any other comments on the question, that may help me in my decision.  TOO MANY CHOICES!!! but hay that's half the fun.

I'm not sure the validity of these tests and maybe someone else can add to this or not but on this guys tests he shows that the 3 lug connector is quieter than the screw on. I'm not sure how that is so but his results said it was with the acc evo 9 and trident. Both of them are awesome cans from what i have read and seen and heard. He has video on this page too that corresponds with his sound meter when firing.
Now this is with a 9mm so im not sure if that helps when it comes to 5.56 ect.......

Three lug test and screw on adapter

Home page silencer tests
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are going to put the can on a weapon and just leave it on then there's no reason not to use a thread on.  If you want the smallest/lightest can possible then a thread on is probably going to be the best bet for that.

But if you are going to be moving the can between several AR15s then a QD makes a lot more sense.  Don't think of it as QD, think of it as "moving the can between platforms with no tools required."  It's not the can itself that is the issue, it's whatever you want to install on the barrel when the can isn't attached.  Pretty much anything other than a plain thread protector or a Vortex is going to require clamping the barrel in a vise to torque ot down, peel washers for timing, etc.  But thread protectors don't do anything about flash and the Vortex is expensive enough that buying several wipes out any costs savings of using a thread on vs. QD.

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm not sure the validity of these tests and maybe someone else can add to this or not but on this guys tests he shows that the 3 lug connector is quieter than the screw on. I'm not sure how that is so but his results said it was with the acc evo 9 and trident.
In the case of the AAC can, a half decible difference is basically nothing.  A slight variation in ambient temp or barometric pressure can account for that and more so the two should be considered equal IMO.

In the case of the trident which does show a large difference the author mentions that the Trident is shorter when using the thread on mount and the smaller volume could be the reason for the difference.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't the QD adaptors eliminate the chance of the can coming unscrewed during firing?  It's not like you can just reach out and check how tight your 500 degree suppressor is mid-string.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have owned a lot of those QD mounts.  Someone should rename that to QA Mounts.  They attach quick, but when you get them hot they are NOT Quick Detach.  Even with semi auto, you can get a can to 400-500 degrees with a couple magazines.  Who is going to try to take the silencer off then?  I seldom remove my 223 silencers, so if I was starting out, I would by what I consider a SEMI QUICK ATTACH system...The Gemtech Halo and the AAC Omni are in this category.

GEMTECH HALO MOUNTING SYSTEM
www.gem-tech.com/Images/HALO-MOUNT.jpg

Gemtech Halo

AAC OMNI MOUNTING SYSTEM
www.advanced-armament.com/silencers/omni/0.jpg

AAC Omni

Both silencers fit right over your standard A2 ($8 each) and you dont have to buy prepriotory flash hiders that can cost over $100 each.  When your flashhider is covered by a silencer anyway, why spend the extra bucks?

This is the system I've decided on,. now I just have to come up with the money for the Omni.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't the QD adaptors eliminate the chance of the can coming unscrewed during firing?  It's not like you can just reach out and check how tight your 500 degree suppressor is mid-string.
Depends on the QD mount, but as a general rule you're right.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you have a lot of problems w/ AR silencers coming unscrewed mid string?  I'm wanting an AAC Ranger2 and don't want it coming unscrewed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Do you have a lot of problems w/ AR silencers coming unscrewed mid string?  I'm wanting an AAC Ranger2 and don't want it coming unscrewed.

Not common but it can happen.  I saw a recent posting on another site by rsilvers of AAC saying that they had made change to the threads that make them even less likely to unscrew.  

When you get your Ranger II be sure to post your opinion.  I'm considering getting a pair for a couple of 11.5" SBRs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I think as far as price and what I am looking for I will probably go with the thread on for the first one.  I am wanting to stay around the 500 mark so I am looking at gem-tech, aac, and yhm.  All thread on.  Thanks for all of the QD discussion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top