Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 6:28:00 PM EDT
I had a problem with my garand at the range today and wonder if anyone has an idea of what it might be. EVERY time i loaded the rifle with an enblock, the first 6 rounds would fire fine and then on the 2nd to last round, the enblock would partially eject (stay in the gun but pop up enough to jam the action open). I took the gun apart and looked around and there didn't seem to be anything immediately obvious (although I am far from an expert). Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#1]
What serial number range is your rifle?

Sounds like it could be the "seventh round stoppage" that afflicted some of the earlier Garands before they were fixed with a bit of welding. It could also be a worn out clip eject spring.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
serial # is about 1.5 million
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What serial number range is your rifle?

Sounds like it could be the "seventh round stoppage" that afflicted some of the earlier Garands before they were fixed with a bit of welding. It could also be a worn out clip eject spring.

Highly doubtful.  Most of these were fixed.

Basically replace:

op rod spring
clip latch spring

This should fix your problem.  If not, then your clip latch could be worn, your bullet guide could be worn.  Most likely it's just weak springs.  Oh try a few different clips also.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Try loading your clip with the last round always on the left when you insert it, if the stoppage ceases, you got a 7th round jammer...if that is the case always load your clips the same way, and the problem will be solved.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:32:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Before you go spending a ton of money try replacing the clip latch and the cliplatch spring. If your rifle has the original cliplatch and spring chances are extremley high that both of them through time have worn out.
I had the same exact thing happen to my M1. Hope this helps.
43E1P
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Before you go spending a ton of money try replacing the clip latch and the cliplatch spring. If your rifle has the original cliplatch and spring chances are extremley high that both of them through time have worn out.
I had the same exact thing happen to my M1. Hope this helps.
43E1P

Dude, you can get the springs for under 20 dollars shipped (IIRC).  I wouldn;t start replacing parts until I swaped out those springs...Like I origionaly posted.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 on clip latch spring, mine did that too. Got the Heavy Duty spring from Fulton Armory, that fixed the problem!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top