Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2016 10:28:14 AM EDT
A friend told me that there was some kind of raid at PD or the owners homes and other businesses.  She didn't know a lot of details.  I've seen nothing in the news, but now when you go to their website, everything is password protected.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Site has a notice about delayed orders for solvent traps and an ATF issue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Their home page announcement says it all. They are dealing with "new" ATF rules.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their home page announcement says it all. They are dealing with "new" ATF rules.
View Quote

Ebay has claimed to sellers (so I have heard, no personal knowledge) ATF said formed freeze plugs are silencer parts to remove them.  Preppers sells formed freeze plugs.  This could be the issue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ebay has claimed to sellers (so I have heard, no personal knowledge) ATF said formed freeze plugs are silencer parts to remove them.  Preppers sells formed freeze plugs.  This could be the issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they sell them drilled too?

Tons of people sell machined cones and cups, this could be devastating to the 80% baffle market
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let's just say that the information I was told indicates the issue might be a little more serious than that.  I hope it's just an ATF rule change and she was wrong.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Let's just say that the information I was told indicates the issue might be a little more serious than that.  I hope it's just an ATF rule change and she was wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feel like sharing this information or did someone not say the magic word yet?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I was afraid something like this was going to happen.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just checked, and there are still freeze plug ads eBay.  Formed Freeze Plugs right in the title.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind here that I have no way to verify this information so I'm uncomfortable posting what I heard exactly.  If it's wrong or not true, I don't want to get in a bind or damage their reputation.  Clearly something happened.  As of the time I posted last night, their website was still functional 100%.  Shortly after everything became password protected, and now it shows at least a 30 day delay.

The only thing I could think to say that isn't over the line is:  If you bought something from them and have utilized it in a way "other than intended", now might be a good time to lose it.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Tons of people sell machined cones and cups, this could be devastating to the 80% baffle market
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been wondering how long it would be until solvent traps went the way of the Sig brace. That was my first thought when I saw this thread. There was this last fall. Maybe they bought some stuff from preppers discount.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Keep in mind here that I have no way to verify this information so I'm uncomfortable posting what I heard exactly.  If it's wrong or not true, I don't want to get in a bind or damage their reputation.  Clearly something happened.  As of the time I posted last night, their website was still functional 100%.  Shortly after everything became password protected, and now it shows at least a 30 day delay.

The only thing I could think to say that isn't over the line is:  If you bought something from them and have utilized it in a way "other than intended", now might be a good time to lose it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why even bring it up then except to brag that you think you know more then anyone else?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:47:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why even bring it up then except to brag that you think you know more then anyone else?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I don't know.  Maybe because thousands of people have bought parts from them.  Maybe because a lot of them are ARFcommers.  Maybe some of those ARFcommers might have done something stupid.  

Was that a serious question or was it just a post stroking your own ego?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#13]
So this is all we know at this time: (copied from their home page)

EFFECTIVE 4-19-16

ALL SOLVENT TRAP AND RELATED PRODUCTS ORDERS WILL BE DELAYED SHIPPING FOR 30+ DAYS WHILE WE DEAL WITH "NEW" ATF RULES WE ARE FIGHTING AGAINST.

?KNOW THAT WE AT PREPPER'S DISCOUNT ARE COMMITTED TO ENSURING AND DOING OUR VERY BEST AT PRESERVING YOUR RIGHTS AND THAT THEY ARE NOT INFRINGED. THAT GOVERNMENT ENTITIES ARE  HELD TO THE VERY RULES THEY OFFER EVERY AMERICAN.

STAY STRONG AND FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS!

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Glad I waited till my form 1 was approved before I purchased anything.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting. But if I have a valid form 1 can, and I bought the plugs, I should have nothing to worry about, right?

I never bought anything from them, but this does cause concern regarding the other parts I have bought from other sellers.

Unless the atf decides that preformed baffles (not yet drilled) and the end caps (not yet drilled) are silencer parts...
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Interesting. But if I have a valid form 1 can, and I bought the plugs, I should have nothing to worry about, right?

I never bought anything from them, but this does cause concern regarding the other parts I have bought from other sellers.

Unless the atf decides that preformed baffles (not yet drilled) and the end caps (not yet drilled) are silencer parts...
View Quote

That's the part where I'm wondering what's up, exactly.  Everything I have (I've never ordered from PD, they just happen to be local, so I heard about it) is from SD Tactical.  It's all registered, etc.  

I'm not sure if PD has an SOT, but I know SD does.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone know what these "New" ATF rules are?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Curious as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Curious as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious as well.

?? 'parts', or ANY COMBINATION OF PARTS --that COULD BE used for the PURPOSE OF CONSTRUCTING.....??
Is usually how they word these things.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Much like the ATF does not spell out what constitutes an "80% receiver" they don't spell out the line between where a silencer part ends and a "solvent trap, end cap or cone cup" begins. I suspect they are now drawing some lines and as usual they have the last say on it. Not at all surprised by this although how they pull definitions from their nether regions stinks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#21]
People are sure jumping to a lot of conclusions based on a post on one site.  

Does it strike anyone as odd that no other site reports these "new rules," or any problems?  There are a lot of sites out there making solvent traps, storage cups, and 60 deg cone paperweights, yet none of them report anything?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Does it strike anyone as odd that no other site reports these "new rules," or any problems?  There are a lot of sites out there making solvent traps, storage cups, and 60 deg cone paperweights, yet none of them report anything?
View Quote

It's obvious their message is in response to some ATF action.

Personally I think "new rules" is code for "we got raided, they took all of our stock and we have to figure this shit out before we get fucked again"
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Personally I think "new rules" is code for "we got raided, they took all of our stock and we have to figure this shit out before we get fucked again"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing is obvious.  Why only them?  Why has no one else heard of this "new rule?"

PD was always a bit sketchy.  Just because they post something in 72 pt font doesn't make it true.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nothing is obvious.  Why only them?  Why has no one else heard of this "new rule?"

PD was always a bit sketchy.  Just because they post something in 72 pt font doesn't make it true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$5 says some ass is already WRITING ANOTHER LETTER to ATF for Clarification.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I just checked, and there are still freeze plug ads eBay.  Formed Freeze Plugs right in the title.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can post almost anything illegal on ebay, they can't monitor every listing, another user flagging the listing would probably trigger a removal though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#26]
It is almost fairly routine at this point that a firearms related company gets raided, they through up their hands and claim they didn't do anything wrong, they get community support over their plight, and it turns out they were less than truthful about what they did, they were in wrong.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You can post almost anything illegal on ebay, they can't monitor every listing, another user flagging the listing would probably trigger a removal though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but they usually use a set of filters that look in the title when you post, and that runs regularly.  "Formed Freeze Plugs" seems to be an obvious phrase to filter for. That's why I pointed it out.  It's not like so many other items that end up "in code."
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like they have changed their statement on the home page, unlocked the solvent traps, and there is a rather lengthy terms disclosure at the bottom of the page.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:56:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looks like they have changed their statement on the home page, unlocked the solvent traps, and there is a rather lengthy terms disclosure at the bottom of the page.
View Quote

Now it's 45 days lead time.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Items that were relisted include end caps with the bore holes already drilled.  If it raid that part seems odd.  

I got a lengthy reply form the owner, for the most part I would describe it as saying a lot without saying anything at all.  They are still in business and still selling parts, for their part they don't think they are doing anything legally wrong.  It is obvious there was some sort of ATF inquiry, and the their response was to add disclaimers to the pages about the conversion or use of the parts.  I asked more direct follow up questions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Items that were relisted include end caps with the bore holes already drilled.  If it raid that part seems odd.  

I got a lengthy reply form the owner, for the most part I would describe it as saying a lot without saying anything at all.  They are still in business and still selling parts, for their part they don't think they are doing anything legally wrong.  It is obvious there was some sort of ATF inquiry, and the their response was to add disclaimers to the pages about the conversion or use of the parts.  I asked more direct follow up questions.
View Quote

Thanks for taking the initiative to follow-up with the owner.  It seems odd to me, too, that the end caps with bore holes are relisted.  I would have thought they were the red flag, but if they're OK, then...WTF is going on?

I'd be surprised if you get very direct answers to your follow-ups.. I'm guessing they're going to play pretty close to the vest from here on.

Again, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks for taking the initiative to follow-up with the owner.  It seems odd to me, too, that the end caps with bore holes are relisted.  I would have thought they were the red flag, but if they're OK, then...WTF is going on?

I'd be surprised if you get very direct answers to your follow-ups.. I'm guessing they're going to play pretty close to the vest from here on.

Again, thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, thanks.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#34]
For all we know the ATF could have been checking if they were assembling and sending out kits pre made to people.  I could easily see the ATF making sure the company itself wasnt building and assembling the suppresors and sending them to people.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/oeyEQ5c.jpg

I can see a scenario where the powers that be say "hey we got you, now your gonna help us set some people up".
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#36]
I've had some back and forth with prepper's but not much as come of it.  I don't think it was a raid and I hate to stereotype people but I could see a "prepper/antigov" type having a overreaction to a simple inquiry.   He made a public post about it, but again nothing really relevant information wise: http://form1suppressor.boards.net/thread/561/preppers-discount-speaks-raids-solvent
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've had some back and forth with prepper's but not much as come of it.  I don't think it was a raid and I hate to stereotype people but I could see a "prepper/antigov" type having a overreaction to a simple inquiry.   He made a public post about it, but again nothing really relevant information wise: http://form1suppressor.boards.net/thread/561/preppers-discount-speaks-raids-solvent
View Quote

Like I said I could easily see if the ATF was making sure they werent assembling and shipping complete units as you need a specific license to do that.  This might have nothing to do with the end users but more of a license/revenue check.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#38]
If you look at several of the ATF press releases on arrest incidents, unregistered home built suppressors are listed somewhat frequently.  If one or two of those guys claimed that they ..."order a solvent trap from vendor XYZ and it came that way" or a "...all I had to do was assemble it from what they shipped me" or "...it's designed so all you have to do is assemble and shoot a round through it so its readily converted", then the ATF had an obligation to check up on the matter, which would include inspection of a lot of inventory depending on exactly what was said and how it was phrased.

Wes

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I hope they come through this without any adverse effects.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Slight update.  Please bear in mind, I don't know how much of this is 100%.  

I was able to get some more info.  There was an initial raid, but it was not at PD or the owners.  I think it was a drug related deal.  The 'perps' had suppressors built with PD parts.  Someone in LE believed that PD was selling them as complete suppressors.  

Then there was a raid at PD and all their inventory was confiscated, but they are in the process of getting it back.

At this point it appears PD did absolutely nothing wrong but caught up by overzealous LE.

I wonder if it's related to this:

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/10/16/feds-exaggerate-bust-eight-california-weapons-raid/

The cans look like the stuff PD sells....

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Just my opinion but those do not look like your run of the mill banger or drug rifles. Way too uniform and clean. There is more to this story but at this point I am having a hard time taking anything peppers supply has to say. They came off as very... Un professional in their public posts, and that is putting it lightly. It was almost like they where attacking the form 1 community for daring to use their pars for form 1 suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:09:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just my opinion but those do not look like your run of the mill banger or drug rifles. Way too uniform and clean. There is more to this story but at this point I am having a hard time taking anything peppers supply has to say. They came off as very... Un professional in their public posts, and that is putting it lightly. It was almost like they where attacking the form 1 community for daring to use their pars for form 1 suppressor.
View Quote

The way I was reading it, they claimed that merely thinking about turning them into a suppressor made them legally a suppressor..... so you know file that form 1 before you buy....
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Any update?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I got an update.....I've emailed them 5 times to the company email address, called twice (first time they just picked up the phone and hung up...second time they answered and said this is the warehouse, we have no answers but here is the personal email of the girl in the office) Emailed her once......no responses from ANYONE. Avoid this company. They have a novel idea but cannot execute as a business. I'm sure some have had a good experience but a simple web search will show far more complaints than praises. It's a crap shoot. With other companies that have a solid business model, why risk it?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh hell..

I guess I'm in possession since I have about 20 mag lites that "end caps (not yet drilled)"???

I never bought anything from PD or anyone else. I was always wondered how long it would be before the ATF shut down the "solvent trap" market.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#46]
to those asking why it is only them that is because they are just looking for someone or another to make an example of. They do not have to read it everybody who sells cones and whatnot they only have to do it to some and then think of the chilling effect that they want. Why did they read that one 80% lower manufacturer in California as opposed to any other one?

fact of the matter is that they do not likethis even know it mostly just serves to encourage people to file more form ones and pay more taxes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

ITS A TRAP!

reminds me of how the FBI around that chil pron site for like a year or two to build up a big list of people ("underground network")to go arrestarrest in a highly publicized operation "spanning several states!" etc

I am afraid that they have the owner over a barrel either for something they caught him with or for some evidence that was conveniently discovered in the raid like some random unregistered Auto Sears or whatever that just happened to be laying about in the middle of the floor in the rooms the ATF agents were searching.  now they are trying to get suckers to buy pre-drilled components
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I was able to get some more info.  There was an initial raid, but it was not at PD or the owners.  I think it was a drug related deal.  The 'perps' had suppressors built with PD parts.  Someone in LE believed that PD was selling them as complete suppressors.  

Then there was a raid at PD and all their inventory was confiscated, but they are in the process of getting it back.

At this point it appears PD did absolutely nothing wrong but caught up by overzealous LE.

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/10/16/feds-exaggerate-bust-eight-california-weapons-raid/

http://cdn.bearingarms.com/uploads/2015/10/WireAP_654c5dc89a3c4963a0e16a928845995c_16x9_1600.jpg
View Quote

those are awfully strange looking lowers and handguards
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn.bearingarms.com/uploads/2015/10/WireAP_654c5dc89a3c4963a0e16a928845995c_16x9_1600.jpg

Are they one of the plastic 80% or maybe the resin mold poured lowers. It looks like there are at least 2 variations. The 2 in the top of the photo are different from the 3 on the bottom.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Are they one of the plastic 80% or maybe the resin mold poured lowers. It looks like there are at least 2 variations. The 2 in the top of the photo are different from the 3 on the bottom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the rifles appear to use 80% lowers.  Top two are from JMT and bottoms ones are Ares Poly80 lowers.  Uppers looks standard.  Handguards are Magpul MOE SL with railed gas block.

In the upper right of the picture you can actually see the JMT jig.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top