Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2002 2:49:47 PM EDT
11" barrel with 5" compensator, collapsible stock, unfired ....  what is this puppy worth?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a guy with one who makes the rounds at the gun shows near Kansas City.  He is asking $1895 for his and has been for some time.  He still has it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked one up exactly like this, it was fired, but maybe like once lol.  Got it for $1,500.  I asked the vets around here, they said that was a good price for such a pre-ban Bushy though.  So prolly something towards $1,800 I'd guess.  Although I've seen a couple go on auctionarms and gunbroker for just over $2,000.  

In the end if it's around the going rate, say + or - $200, I always say go for it if you really want it, especially when you are talking a couple thousand dollars.  Btw, when will I break this habit of sleeping with my new m4?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#3]
On gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com they are usually about $1500-1600.  The only one's I've seen in the $1700+ range have been NIB.  So, if you're willing to pay the $1700+ for NIB give these folks a look.

www.vectorarms.com
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
By the way, what is the advantage to this configuration?  Wouldn't a 16" barrel with a flash hider be better than an 11" barrel with a 5" compensator/flash hider?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
By the way, what is the advantage to this configuration?  Wouldn't a 16" barrel with a flash hider be better than an 11" barrel with a 5" compensator/flash hider?

No advantage at all with the 5.5" flash hider.  None.

With the 11.5" barrel, you lose critical velocity of the 5.56, and alond with that, you lose effective engagement distance.

I seem to remember that the 5.56 out of a 11.5" barrel loses it's ability to reliably fragment past 50-75 yards, compared to 250-300 yards from a 16".

Now, these numbers may not be exactly correct, but I don't feel like looking it all up tonight.  In any case, they're close enough.

I think a 11.5" upper would be fun to play around with at times, but I wouldn't ever waste my money on one as long as the 5.5" flash hider is required.  It just makes no sense.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]
brouhaha,  my wife would thank you if only she knew you helped me decide not to spend $1500-$1600 on that Bushmaster.  Of course I will probably find another pre ban I  WILL buy before very long.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
brouhaha,  my wife would thank you if only she knew you helped me decide not to spend $1500-$1600 on that Bushmaster.  Of course I will probably find another pre ban I  WILL buy before very long.....

See if you can buy just the lower.  That's what I did on my last pre-ban purchase.

You can order brand new uppers with preban features straight from Bushmaster in just about any configuration.  In the 5.56, velocity is key to it's wounding potential, therefore my choice of barrel lengths will always be 16" at the short end.  It's just the best all around length (for me).  But, with a flash hider, the 16" barrel is closer to 17.5".  If you were to buy a 14.5" barrel with a (required) muzzle attachment, your overall length drops down to 16".

I'm half asleep, so this may not make any sense.  But, if you'd like to e-mail me, I would be glad to go into more details for you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I got mine in that configuration for 995 plus tax...  It was a consignment gun in excellent condition.  It is now an M4gery.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:42:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is a guy with one who makes the rounds at the gun shows near Kansas City.  He is asking $1895 for his and has been for some time.  He still has it.

Like the other guys said, that seems to be real close to the going price on them.  BUT why spend all that money when you could get a complete preban rifle for around $1100.  Work your way up the ladder.  I picked up two preban Bushmaster lowers from a guy around where I live and I spent just over $1800 for the pair.  The deals are out there if you look hard enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top