Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2013 7:51:15 PM EDT
So i bought a MSS off of the EE for 70$ to my door, couldn't pass it up. Heard great things about them so I went for the plunge.

It looks great, seems really warm, but the thing is huge. Is there a practical way of carrying this sleep system?

All I have is the gen 2 USMC ILBE system. I've looked at getting http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/MOLLE-II-Woodland-Sleep-System-Carrier-New-846501-p/2302.htm but idk how practical it'll be or awkward.

So, any ideas? Or am I SOL? Worst case scenario it'll be a good car camping bag.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally, you can get by carrying less than the entire system. Best way to carry all or parts is to place the jungle bag inside the patrol bag, then put both pieces inside the bivy bag. Smash them down inside the stuff sack with the mouths facing up so the air releases out while packing. Kneel on the whole mess and strap down the straps on the stuff sack. That should compact it enough to stuff it in the bottom of your ruck.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I would often carry just the bivy and a poncho liner - that was good for most nights

If it were getting cold, just toss in the green bag - I can't remember using my black bag once (though I wasn't ever using it in the real cold)

carry as little of the system as you'll need - if you have to carry the whole thing it may make sense to see how small you can get the stuff sack - and pick up an external pocket for that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Dump it and buy a smaller bag.  

If it's cold out there is no practical way to carry the whole thing.  You end up carrying nothing but your damn sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
i dont understand the question. put it in the ILBE. thats where it goes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

my question is simple. it will fit in the ILBE but takes up a ton of space as a complete system. was seeking info on a possible solution to carry it outside the pack or like the other users suggested, really smashing it down and making it fit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the replies so far. to the guys who have used them in the field, what would you rate the system to?

by this i mean, how cold would you go with the basic patrol bag, bivy, etc to be comfortable and not freezing.

for my purposes, ill say spending a night in 20 degrees, worst case scenario. most of the time right at or below 30.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
thanks for the replies so far. to the guys who have used them in the field, what would you rate the system to?

by this i mean, how cold would you go with the basic patrol bag, bivy, etc to be comfortable and not freezing.

for my purposes, ill say spending a night in 20 degrees, worst case scenario. most of the time right at or below 30.
View Quote

depending on how you like to sleep - green and poncho liner or just black in bivy would be ok

remember to strip down - not put on clothes
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

my question is simple. it will fit in the ILBE but takes up a ton of space as a complete system. was seeking info on a possible solution to carry it outside the pack or like the other users suggested, really smashing it down and making it fit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

use the supplied compression sack. with as big as the ILBE is i cant imagine trying to attach it to the outside.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#10]
The green bag alone will easily fit into one of the military styled "waist packs" or "butt packs".
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you ever consider green bag + poncho liner + bivy bag?
That would probably cut the bulk of the system in half.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I use the same sleep system and ruck. I place the bag in the bottom of the pack horizontally.
I have three different compression sacks that I use depending on which part of the system I'm carying.

Purchase a smaller diameter compression sack, that will fit only the components you need.
Generally the Gortex bivy and one of the bags (make sure you buy one that fits the black bag with the gortex bivy).
This will take up less space in your pack because the compression sack will be the correct size when filled.

You will need to use your bag (train) to figure out how much of it you will need depending on the weather.

In 20 degrees, I would take the only the black bag, maybe a poncho liner if you sleep cold.

ETA: The bag is not too heavy. I do 20 mile days with it. My ruck is anywhere from 55 - 75lbs. If you need pics of any of the above info, let me know.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top