Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 12:49:22 PM EDT
I might start reloading 9mm Mak for my CZ 82.  My powder measure is an RCBS uniflow which doesn't handle extruded powder for shit, however, so I need a ball powder.  That rules out any Alliant powders.  I know Hodgdon lists some loads for it with HP38 but I'm kinda leary of Hodgdon right now.  I've been using HS6 for 45 ACP and that stuff is so dirty it will coke my gun up to the point of jamming after 100 rounds.  Not to mention it doesn't burn completely, so I often end up wearing a lot of HS6 on my forehead.

Hodgdon also suggests Titegroup for 9mm Mak.  Is this a ball or extruded type, and how dirty is it?  Any other suggestions besides Titegroup?  I'd like to use Win 231 if I could since Winchester ball powders tend to meter well in my powder measure.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
For a target load I use 3.5 grs. W231 and a 93 gr. cast bullet in my PA-63  I shot the target at 25' once I moved the rear sight over It was on center.  I purchased some Speer GD HP's but haven't had time to work up a load with them yet.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
W231 or WST for lighter loads.  WSF for some harder stuff.  The WST will be less smoky than 231.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
W231 or WST for lighter loads.  WSF for some harder stuff.  The WST will be less smoky than 231.

Got any load data for WST or WSF in 9mm Mak?  I can't seem to find any.  Not even my Speer manual has loads for it using those powders.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:42:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I use Titegroup for all my pistol loads, to include 9x18.  It's a flake powder, so it meters better than extruded... but not quite as nice as spherical.  Using my RCBS Uniflow, I haven't had any issues with consistancy as far as powder drops go (I recently bought the micrometer adjustment screws to ease with dialing in).   The cases end up being fairly sooty, but all in all... no real complaints as far as Titegroup being dirty.  Nothing a simple one-pass with the boresnake doesn't take care of at the end of the day.

If you prefer a spherical powder, I believe Ramshot's entire line is spherical.  They don't list 9x18 on the load data sheet... but the ballistician at Western Powders is really quick in getting back to you with recommended loads.  I recently asked about 6.5x50R and got a response within 36hrs.  (If you ask him, please post up the data... otherwise I might ask myself, out of curiousity)  Guessing the powders in their line up to use would be either ZIP or True Blue.

I've been happy with Titegroup.  I've only done fairly small batches of 50rds at a time so far.  Finally got all my nickel 9x19 cases trimmed down and sized, so I'll be finishing up my first decent-sized batch (500ish) this week.  Great to be able to load up for my CZ-82.
Now if Berry's would only bring their 95gr .365 bullets back.  At a time when I was looking for more... they took them off their lineup.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use Titegroup for all my pistol loads, to include 9x18.  It's a flake powder, so it meters better than extruded... but not quite as nice as spherical.  Using my RCBS Uniflow, I haven't had any issues with consistancy as far as powder drops go (I recently bought the micrometer adjustment screws to ease with dialing in).   The cases end up being fairly sooty, but all in all... no real complaints as far as Titegroup being dirty.  Nothing a simple one-pass with the boresnake doesn't take care of at the end of the day.

If you prefer a spherical powder, I believe Ramshot's entire line is spherical.  They don't list 9x18 on the load data sheet... but the ballistician at Western Powders is really quick in getting back to you with recommended loads.  I recently asked about 6.5x50R and got a response within 36hrs.  (If you ask him, please post up the data... otherwise I might ask myself, out of curiousity)  Guessing the powders in their line up to use would be either ZIP or True Blue.

I've been happy with Titegroup.  I've only done fairly small batches of 50rds at a time so far.  Finally got all my nickel 9x19 cases trimmed down and sized, so I'll be finishing up my first decent-sized batch (500ish) this week.  Great to be able to load up for my CZ-82.
Now if Berry's would only bring their 95gr .365 bullets back.  At a time when I was looking for more... they took them off their lineup.

Mastercast bullets still makes lead cast bullets for 9mm Mak.  I'm more worried about getting brass for it.  Starline makes it but is behind on production.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#6]
You can make 9mm Makarov brass from 9mm Luger. I use once fired. I size, then trim with a Lee trimmer, chamfer, then load as usual. I mark the base with a sharpie to keep it separate .

I use bullseye and cast bullets to keep it cheap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mastercast bullets still makes lead cast bullets for 9mm Mak.  I'm more worried about getting brass for it.  Starline makes it but is behind on production.

Well, given the CZ82 has the polygonal rifling... I wasn't planning on ever using cast lead for it.  I have enough Berrys to last me thru the summer, as well as some Hornady JHPs that I hope to load up at some point.  I'm still crossing my fingers that the Berry's removal is temporary while they catch up with the more popular caliber demand.

Brass is tough, and fairly costly.  Which is why I decided to just convert 9x19 cases (I'm a cheapskate).  Form the case using Mak dies to remove the taper and cut a mm of length off, and it's good to go.  I only do it to my nickel-plated cases, to easily distinguish so I don't mix up with my 9x19 reloads.  Others distinguish by swiping a colored marker over the headstamp of the case.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can make 9mm Makarov brass from 9mm Luger. I use once fired. I size, then trim with a Lee trimmer, chamfer, then load as usual. I mark the base with a sharpie to keep it separate .

I use bullseye and cast bullets to keep it cheap.

I couldn't find Bullseye around here if my life depended on it.  That's why I'm looking for load data that uses WSF or WST.  Those are the only two spherical powders I can find, besides HS6, which I don't think is going to be suitable for 9mm Mak.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got any load data for WST or WSF in 9mm Mak?  I can't seem to find any.  Not even my Speer manual has loads for it using those powders.

I replied to your email but I'll post up the info for others that may want to use those powders.

I've been using 101gr cast bullets with WST for light practice loads since my P64 has some stout kick with full power ammo.  If you want to use WST with heavier FMJ bullets then you can start at 2.7gr.

For WST:  2.5gr-3.4gr of WST or W231 pushing a 101gr bullet.  WST or W231 can be used interchangeably.  I find WST is less smoky.  Both powders are clean though.

For WSF:  5.1gr-5.5gr with 95gr XTP bullets is over 1100 fps.  Starting at 5.1gr will give a nice warm load.  At the top end you need to be careful.

You'll have to play around with the OAL to get proper feeding.  Start with the low amount of powder and seat deeper until you get reliable feeding.  Once you know the OAL your gun likes then you can work up the load to a higher velocity.

Here are some other resources:

http://www.makarov.com/w231lrn.html
http://www.makarov.com/w231xtp.html
http://www.makarov.com/mak04.html
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Accurate 2, 5, or 7 will work. I am pretty sure these are all ball powders. Accurate #5 has always metered well for me with my Lee Autodisk. Load data should be available from the Accurate Powder website.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Titegroup powder 3.6 gr. & 95 gr. LRN bullets. The brass is 9mm Luger once fired. I trim the case with a Lee case trimer before resizing (only needs to be trimed once). I have over 10 firings per case and no spit cases. All my cases are range pickups. I mark the case head with black paint. I found I needed to use a heavier recoil spring when I used max. loads in my 9mm Makarov pistol. That IMHO

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top