Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 12:44:28 PM EDT
       I recently  acquired a Pre-Ban Poly Tech with flash hider and bayo lug.  It looks almost new, perhaps even unfired.  Anything I need to be aware of on these Chinese rifles?  Underside of barrel reads:  KFS (Keng's?), ATL, GA;  Made in China;  CAI, ST ALB, VT.  Is it good to go, or what?  Thanks for any and all help/advice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, get a USGI bolt conversion.  Why?  Read the chapter on Chinese M14 rifles in the free online book M14 Rifle History and Development at www.imageseek.com/m1a  You have my permission to print off a copy for yourself.  You'll need about 100 sheets of paper in your printer paper tray.  No BS.   I interviewed Ron Smith and saw the material analysis report on the Chinese bolts from 1994.  The bolt needs to be right on a M14 type rifle.  Besides Smith Enterprise, Tim Strait aka warbird in Houston, TX is very reputable and very competent on doing bolt conversions on Chinese rifles.  He's done forty this year already.  I highly recommend either Tim Strait or Ron Smith.  Smith Enteprise is going to be VERY busy VERY soon so I'd ask Tim to do the bolt conversion.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, Keng's Firearms imported the barrel.  Century Arms International imported the receiver if the receiver is marked CAI ST ALBANS VT.  A lot of the Chinese M14 rifles were assembled from parts kits by Century Arms International.      
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure that whoever does the "Chinese Bolt Conversion" machines the Receiver to fit a USGI Bolt, NOT machines the USGI Bolt to fit the Chinese receiver.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Different- Thanks for the lead.  Your site is great.  The info is well researched and very well written.  Kudos!  Now I have to run out to buy a ream of paper.  Receiver is not marked CAI, just the barrel.  Receiver is marked:  
     POLY TECH
     M-14 S
     7.62 NATO
     019XX (serial number)

Cincinnatus-  So, what you are saying is- don't trust a gunsmith whose tool kit consists solely of an array of 3 to 12 pound hammers?

Next question-  Is there a scope mount that will reliably fit these receivers?  This is not a real biggie as I have other scoped rifles to use.  I just like the shootability of the M-1 and M-14 rifles.  The iron sights are about perfect, but my eyes aren't (I had a stroke).  

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#5]
The Chinese M14 rifles don't have problems with M14 scope mounts.  Also, check out my M14 Scope Mount FAQ at www.imageseek.com/m1a It's free too.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
down the road if its ever up for sale please email me, been looking for one in that serial # range for a while
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Why does the receiver and not the bolt need to be modified?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Because once the receiver has been modified (if necessary) to accept a USGI Bolt, you can always put one in.
So if something goes wrong with your bolt, you don't have to pay for the service again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, of course!  The answer is so simple I missed it entirely!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top