Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:21:07 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about the 10x12 Level IV plates that Point Blank makes (see here).

First, are these plates multi-hit rated? Second, any idea how effective they are against rounds other than .30 and .308 (5.56, 5.45, 7.62x54, etc.)?

I tried contacting Point Blank directly with these questions but they were less than helpful. Claimed they couldn't release the specs on their plates because I am not .gov or LEO.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If they are rated Level III, they are multi-hit by definition.  Look up the testing protocol, or do a search here...it's certainly been discussed enough.

As I recall, another company (used to) make their ceramic plates OEM labeled.  If so, then at one time the Level III/IV 10x12" plate was rated for several other rounds.  However, IF these are still being made by that company, I can't tell you if they continue to test them to those other rounds, or just the Level III protocol.

To have them tell you they can't release the specs is bullshit.  They WON'T release them...not can't.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Level 4 definition is ONE round of .30-06AP.
Level 3 is 6 rds .308 FMJ.

Nowhere are 5.56 rounds mentioned in the NIJ certifications as I recall.

I don't think Multi-hit 5.56 (or 5.56 at all) is part of any NIJ certification for hard plates. Somone correct me if I am in error.

Get it in writing or on the plates themselves exactly what the plate stops (some list M855, but NOT M193 for example).
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#3]
^ Your right. There is no 5.56 testing protocol in NIJ only military.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
To have them tell you they can't release the specs is bullshit.  They WON'T release them...not can't.

Exactly. Was disappointed with how unhelpful they were to a "lowly" civilian.

I've read the NIJ standards requirements but was just wanting to know how effective these plates were (if at all) against rounds outside of the standard.

Even though I've found the Point Blank plates cheaper, I am leaning more toward the plates that Bulletproofme.com has since they are not shy about displaying their testing results.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#6]

They were the ones I initially talked to and they referred me to Point Blank.

Oh well... I think at this point I am going to go with Bulletproofme. Thanks for all the input!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you need to know?  I run two of them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What do you need to know?  I run two of them.

Just wanted to know if they were multi-hit rated and what rounds they defeated outside of the NIJ standards they state in the ad.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Model is PB-CP4 10x12   Date 2/2009   Threat Level (NIJ 2005 Interim Requirement) IV  Type 4.   That's it on the label for relevant info.  The card just talks about care and warranty.  5 years after manufacture date, not purchase.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool! Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#11]
No problem. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top