BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 7:58:32 AM EDT
Who are the best FAL builders (custom or factory) that can build the following:

- light as possible
- CHROME LINED  "18 barrel
- best quality

Thanks in advance.  I really have the .308 FAL bug.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#2]
DSA just shipped my new FAL last week.  It's a SA58 w/ 18" military contour barrel and Steyr short flash hider.  (No chrome lining though.)  I don't have an accurate scale, but it seems to weigh less than my 16" AR w/ Aimpoint.  I got the Type I receiver, but I think the Type II may be even a little lighter.  It has the aluminum lower, trigger guard, charging handle, maybe something else.  This rifle is much lighter than I ever expected.  Just have to shoot it now...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Build your own, however you like.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Might I suggest a full-length screw-on gas tube, not the soldiered on short version. It won't add much weight and it's one less place for debris to get in. Even DSA will build it like that if you ask them nicely.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got off the phone with DSA and it was hard to find someone who knew what they were talking about.  The lady on the phone recommended "A Stainless Steel Model Because They Are Lighter"  GEEEEEZ.  I finally was transferred to John who was helpful but advised there are no plans for a chrome lined barrel model.

Where can I get aluminum mags?

Any custom smiths who can make what I want?

Thanks for the help so far.  DSA sounds great except for the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#6]

This guy can, but you usually have to supply the parts for the build.
www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

Another idea is have DSA built it as close as they can to what you want, then buy the barrel, etc., you want and have a smith install it.  DSA is the only game in town for some of the parts and it will probably add up to much more if bought separately rather than have them built the initial rifle. When you want custom the price goes up accordingly.

I'd email ARS or another smith for the best way to put this project together.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
That sounds like my rifle.  DSA Type 2 upper and light weight para lower, Imbel para 18.25" chrome-lined barrel, FSE or DSA parts where needed.  Of course it's been at ARS for six months waiting for a build and finishing...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can't find an 18" CL barrel, have one cut down, crowned and threaded. I'm having it done as we speak.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks again for all the help.  Where can I locate an Argentine barrel?  Are these barrels of high quality?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks again for all the help.  Where can I locate an Argentine barrel?  Are these barrels of high quality?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Why don't you take some steroids and ignore the weight issue.  Your only gonna end up with a gun that you don't enjoy to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why don't you take some steroids and ignore the wieght issue.  Your only gonna end up with a gun that you don't enjoy to shoot.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:25:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The Argentine barrels are of exceptional quality. Second only to the Steyr StG58 barrels IMHO. I have two Argentine Barrels. One mounted and one for a spare if I ever wear the first one out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I just found a chrome lined bore/chamber "Imbel" barrel.  Is this of good quality?

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Argentine barrels are of exceptional quality. Second only to the Steyr StG58 barrels IMHO. I have two Argentine Barrels. One mounted and one for a spare if I ever wear the first one out.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I just found a chrome lined bore/chamber "Imbel" barrel.  Is this of good quality?

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMBEL is the name of the company in Brasil that manufactured that barrel. IMBEL is an FN licensed manufacturer of F A L rifles and are still manufacturing them. IMBEL is also the company that manufactures the slides and frames for Springfield Armory 1911s.  
IMBEL is a quality outfit and they produce quality parts and firearms.

New IMBEL para barrels bring a premium price. One that is chrome lined bore and chamber is especially desirable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top