Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2012 11:25:19 AM EDT
Been lurking on here for a while, and see a lot of folks get a plate carrier, and then get soft armor kits (to back up non stand alone plates).

On the Shellback site, a Banshee (lower cost carrier) with soft armor kit would be $504
On Bulletproofme, a Promax Tactical can be had for $460  More expensive for thinner Aramid (this price is the 8.6mm, Banshee armor is 6mm but you also have the carrier thickness/weight etc).

Wouldn't a carrier made of Kevlar/Aramid be a better option since the whole thing is protected (no gaps between soft armor "panels")?
I don't see too many people talking about/using carriers like the ProMax tactical, so wondering is there a reason?  Only thing I can think of is that you could spread the expense out (ie. buy carrier now, then save up to but soft armor, then plates etc).

Better/more features in a Banshee type carrier? (Bulletproofme has the BlackHawk Strike which is $720, but seems to have beter features than the Promax).

Is something like the Promax tactical MADE of Kevlar/Aramid or is it a nylon vest with Kevlar/Aramid panels?
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Plate carriers are great for typically two types of people. Police officers who already wear soft armor daily, they can just toss a carrier on to add the rifle protection. The other would be the someone who wants minimal weight and as much mobility as possible and are willing to give up protection to get it. A lot more soldiers are starting to use them for those reasons plus in the extreme heat of the middle eastern countries the minimal coverage of plate carriers keeps you cool and reduces exhaustion.

I personally prefer body armor carrier, i use a RBAV, its accepts front, back and side plates as well as soft armor inserts like BALCS. Its significantly heavier than a plate carrier but the level of protection is higher and with more coverage.

Its your decision to decide what your needs are.

*The vest i use
http://www.skdtac.com/BAE-RBAV-AF-p/bae.510.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top