Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2012 6:38:41 PM EDT
Does anybody run a pistol on their chest rig or plate carrier?  What are the advantages or disadvantages of doing so?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have mine on my vest. I thought about it but having an AD would end badly.  I just think its a bad idea.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
People I've known that wore it on their chest did it because they spent most of their time mounted, drawing from the hip or thigh seated can be a bitch. Obviously its not the safest, being pointed either down at your groin/legs while seated or at whomever happens to be at your side depending on orientation. Its a measured risk I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer not to have anything getting between me and my mags.  Keep it on the thigh or hip.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Never been a fan of chest mounted weapons or Shoulder holsters, .... says here take me when in close with an adversary.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Tac force pistol holster chest mounted on my 5.11 vest. Seems to be comfortable and makes for fast presentations. I am far from an expert on the subject however.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
In my opinion, pistol should be on the belt. If you're in a vehicle seat more often than not, chest mounted may be better.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Blackhawk Serpa holster. It goes on the side of my GI MOLLE assault vest where a holster normally goes.
Holster
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Will also add, I have another MOLLE vest with a leg extension and a MOLLE holster, and the older enhanced  load bearing vest (love these), the type that uses the pistol belt, with a leg extension and M9 holster.
Have a custom vest with build in holster on the chest, but it seems rather loose, or should say the vest material isn't stiff.
And then the old GI H type suspender setup, with M9 on the belt. The suspender setup is probably the best basic rig ever made. Between it and the load bearing vest, you can add most anything you need, even use a butt pack as a small backpack and be good for a few days, at a fraction of the cost of newer stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:26:35 AM EDT
[#9]
A holster on body armor isn't half bad if you're in and out of vehicles or confined spaces a lot.  The most common configuration I've seen was to have a holster mounted at an angle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top