Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 2:21:52 PM EDT
Lots of bad weather here lately. Sunday looked gloomy so I took out the old MK.I and before closing the safe, Grabbed the Marlin 45. When I arrived at the range, the employee, looking at my long gun case, asked 'what is in there?'.  I told him it was a Marlin in 45acp. and he slowley acknowleged it was range friendly. It certainly added to my range visit even though I only shot it enough to satasfy my sight/function ck. along with the pleasure of squeezing off a few well placed semi auto shots.
 As was posted elsewhere reciently, there is a gap, a place which could be nicely filled with a good 45 carbine on the market.  I am not alone on this apparently.

My crystal ball would reveal a Colt car, just like their 9mm smg. Or perhaps a 20rd. mag. for the new Beretta. Even a reintroduction of the wonderful Marlin with a more durable stock. I must be dreaming, But at least I have the Marlin - [thanks again Shivan].
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats burns my ass is range Nazis that must approve the guns you shoot...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Ruger has 9mm and 40cal carbines. The magazines are interchangeble with P-series pistols.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Whats burns my ass is range Nazis that must approve the guns you shoot...

Nothing wrong with that IMO. It's THEIR equipment and they don't want some yahoo destroying it. Not saying you're a yahoo of course.

But to the subject, I always thought a semi-auto, detachable box 30rd mag, .357 mag carbine would be awesome. That would be a niche. It would cover ground between pistol and rifle calibered long guns on the market today.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
But to the subject, I always thought a semi-auto, detachable box 30rd mag, .357 mag carbine would be awesome. That would be a niche. It would cover ground between pistol and rifle calibered long guns on the market today.

How about a .30 carbine?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that .357 mag?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:51:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:52:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about a .30 carbine?

Yep... .30 carbine, more than a pistol, less than a rifle.  More energy at 100 yards than a .357 at the muzzle... at least that's what is said all over the internet!  

I just picked up a Winchester 94 carbine in .357.  Haven't shot it, but it should prove to be a handly little rifle, adequately powered for most shorter range hunting around here.

Plus it's going to rock when I get the muzzle threaded and get a suppressor for it!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Love my Olympic 45 ACP AR-15 upper.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yep... .30 carbine, more than a pistol, less than a rifle.  More energy at 100 yards than a .357 at the muzzle... at least that's what is said all over the internet!

Only if that .357 is coming out of a pistol.  According to the Speer reloading manual, a 110 grain .357 bullet coming out of an 18" barrel is faster than a .30 carbine bullet of the same weight coming out of an 18" barrel.  Any pistol round past .357 Magnum in power really begins to defeat the purpose of a pistol caliber rifle.  The .44 Magnum round has power comparable to 7.62x39, although the .44 will have a shorter effective range due to its poor ballistic coefficient.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an Oly Arms in .40 S&W, chronos out at just under 1300 fps (muzzle) with Federal 155 grain JHP.
It's a good flat shooting round that holds up real well at 100m.

Here's a old pic, I have since added the evil collapsible stock, and in my case I installed a heavier buffer, which really helped cut down on wear and tear, as well as perceived recoil.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if that .357 is coming out of a pistol.  According to the Speer reloading manual, a 110 grain .357 bullet coming out of an 18" barrel is faster than a .30 carbine bullet of the same weight coming out of an 18" barrel.  Any pistol round past .357 Magnum in power really begins to defeat the purpose of a pistol caliber rifle.  The .44 Magnum round has power comparable to 7.62x39, although the .44 will have a shorter effective range due to its poor ballistic coefficient.

You're absolutely right.  A .357 out of a longer barrel has the potential to pick up considerably more velocity than from a pistol, when loaded correctly.   I'm sure it could easily outdo the .30 Carbine in muzzle energy.   A lot of pistol calibers gain great potential from carbines.   However, the poor ballistic coefficients kick in at longer ranges, so I wouldn't consider them as effective at greater ranges.    Pistol caliber carbines are a compromise.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top