Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 8:29:21 PM EDT
Here are 3 pictures of some .308 Winchester ammo that I picked up today. The stuff is supposed to be 1982 OLIN manufacture according to the gunshop. The stuff is $5.99 a box (seems a little pricey) or $299.00 for a case of 1060 rounds. Let me know if this is good stuff and a fair deal as I am considering buying more.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Way to much money go here http://www.aimsurplus.com/ and get the sa 308 battle packs 154.00 plus shipping this stuff works great ! you can almost get twice the ammo for that price!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't recognize it, but the box is obviously not American. The use of the comma in 7.62 suggests European. I wouldn't bother with this stuff myself--plenty of cheaper options out there, and at least you know where they're from. If you want US mil-surp, look for Lake City. I got some from the CMP, though they don't appear to have any in stock now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Nato spec ammo will call it 7.62 not .308 on the headstamp, and I dont see a NATO mark either.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to guess it's of Czech mfg.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm going to guess it's of Czech mfg.

I think Osprey is right..
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:06:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I had some 308 like that back in the early 90s.  The stuff I had was Yugo.  It looks like it has the same primer sealer.  Looks like plain old red paint.

I shot it in my Vamet M76.  Afterwards the insides were covered in tiny red paint flakes.  IIRC it shot pretty well, was fairly clean burning.  Inch and a half to two inch groups.

It was on sale when it bought it, two boxes for $5.00.  I should have bought more.  It was boxer primed also.

Green57
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone have an idea if this stuff is corrosive or not?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, as I thought....

It is Sellier & Bellot

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Chance of corrosion 90%

JR
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. I printed the listing that was linked above and took it into the gunshop and told them they needed to change their signage. Needless to say, they were not happy that I called them on their advertisement. I don't know if they did it intentionally or not. The shop supposedly bought 9k rounds from an individual that represented it as US manufacture.

Now, I have to decide if I want to shoot corrosive ammo through the PTR.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot Corrosive in your new PTR???  

I'd sure be SORRY if I did that to my gun

The fluted chamber of the HK system guns makes cleaning out the corrosive salts a tad more difficult.

If you insist on using this ammo, Your best bet is to (A) use the hot soapy water down the chamber & bore trick, then follow up with CLP to prevent rust.

On the other hand you COULD  just use Plan (B) and shoot some quality ammo that is not C.C.C. (Crappy Corrosive Czech!)

Heck it makes WOLF sound good!

Treat Your PTR Well and she will do the same for You!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:05:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Just get some SA from AIM, and enjoy.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I've gone through 1 of 2 cases I bought a few years back when Paragon was still around. Shot it in my FAL's and my Springfield SAR 3. It's corrosive but I just clean with Ballistol and have had no issues with corrosion. Good ammo in my opinion
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I've shot a fair amount of Czech ZV69 7.62mm T65 ammo through one of the CAI CETMEs with extremely good results, both accuracy and function wise...

It is corrosive.  Use plenty of hot soapy water and pump it through the bore and chamber, which is much easier in the CETME (with no gas port) than in the FAL (or similar gas guns)...

Use a brush of the correct size to scrub the flutes in the chamber well.  The ones that I use are nylon bristle brushes for cleaning laboratory glassware.

I follow the soapy water with Shooter's Choice Bore Cleaner, and then, after all is clean, use a Sheath soaked patch to leave Sheath in the bore/chamber.

No problems with rust yet...

Forrest

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top