Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2012 5:16:32 PM EDT
I've been doing some spec-comparison between different vault doors, and surprisingly, Pentagon Safes has done rather well.

Because I am only doing the comparison between each safe company's website,  it is hard to truly get a feel for the quality without actually putting my hands on one.

Anyone out there have a Pentagon Safe?  If so,  what is your opinion?  Please state if you have ever owned another manufacturer's safe and what kind.

Look for "4-hour Valult Door"  1/2 way down:
http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/defender.htm
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 3:58:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been doing some spec-comparison between different vault doors, and surprisingly, Pentagon Safes has done rather well.

Because I am only doing the comparison between each safe company's website,  it is hard to truly get a feel for the quality without actually putting my hands on one.

Anyone out there have a Pentagon Safe?  If so,  what is your opinion?  Please state if you have ever owned another manufacturer's safe and what kind.

Look for "4-hour Valult Door"  1/2 way down:
http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/defender.htm

From past posts here, don't waste your time on them unless you are close enough that you can actually go down, pick one out that isn't messed up too bad, and take it home with you right away (so they can't pull a switcharoo).

From my recollection it seems they have problems with QC and no matter how bad it is they still sell it.

So buying and having it shipped = Stay away
Buying it on-site where you can thoroughly inspect it = you might get lucky

As far as quality, I have no idea because I quit looking at them once I heard the stories. I'll just get a sturdy when the time comes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Pentagon Safes / Sportsman Steel Safes – Fraudulent business practices.

Kevin Hand, President of Sportsman Steel Safe Company, AKA Pentagon Safe Company, personally sold me a gun safe over the telephone last February. Upon receiving the safe I discovered that it was grossly misrepresented and defective. Discrepancies include: lower fire rating than advertised, 260 pounds lighter than advertised, defective paint, defective door and missing bolt grommets. In addition, no invoice, identification, sales receipt, packing slip, or any proof of purchase whatsoever was included in the delivery of the safe.

In addition, Mr. Hand, along with his father (founder of the company), seems to have a reputation for violently losing his temper. He did so with me and left a telephone message on my home answering machine threatening myself and my company.

After five months of run-around I reported my experience, with meticulous documentation, to the following agencies. Only then did Mr. Hand offer a full refund for the safe along with shipping and moving costs. Since then, Mr. Hand has revamped Sportsman Steel's web site to reflect “not so blatantly dishonest representation,” but however, still incorporates misleading sales tactics. The site still looks like a cheap coupon book.

List of agencies I filed reports with:

Federal Trade Commission
Better Business Bureau
Consumer Protection Agency
State of California Department of Justice
Ripoff Report
Complaints List
National Consumers League
FBI - National White Collar Crime Center

Furthermore, a simple Internet search for “sportsman steel reviews” yields unending complaints about the integrity of the company and their products. I encourage people to research for themselves! You will also find that others who purchased from Sportsman Steel have received safes with stickers “Made in China” still adhered to the safes and packaging.

After I received the refund from Sportsman Steel I visited Northwest Safe Company in Enumclaw, Washington (only an hour away) and purchased a safe from them. If one word can describe the experience, it is “professional.” Their team was eager to answer my questions, educate me and helped me decide on the perfect safe for my needs without high-pressure sales tactics. Their prices are extremely competitive and they have a vast inventory with a variety of brands and models in their showroom. Their house brand safes are also nothing short of breathtaking if you are looking for “the very best.” What a joy it was shopping at Northwest Safe Company after the months of unprofessional, dishonest service I received from Sportsman Steel/Pentagon Safe Company!

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, and welcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top