Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2015 6:14:23 PM EDT

These were running just over super sonic (my fault) but it was just over 1100fps and under 1250fps.

What could be wrong?

Case was flared for seating and crimped just enough to remove the flare.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Coating failure. How did your barrel look afterwards? Even if you bought hi-tek coated bullets commercially I would still perform the smash test and acetone test prior to shooting. Sometimes getting the coating to adhere properly to the bullet is more art than science.
Your pics seem to refute the claims made on their website. Do you have any bullets left to perform a smash test on?

https://youtu.be/yrbPjbk0b4g
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't swabbed the barrel yet. I do have some bullets left to do a crush test on tonight.

I will say this, they shot absolutely fantastic.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Doesn't seem like the coating stretched to me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The loads were between 11.0 and 10.5gr of A1680.

Highest velocity recorded was 1160FPS, most were around 1050FPS.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Beating it flat as a pancake is not the correct stress test.

Stand it upright or lay it down on it's side.  I prefer to stand them up.

Then give it one(1) good wack, next examine the bullet to see if the coating is loose of flaking off.

Here is a photo of some recovered bullets.  I coated these myself with Hi-Tek from bayou bullets.

10mm on the left, 1250 fps, 45 acp on the right, 900 fps.

Might be that those bullets suffered coating loss at the point of impact and not inside the barrel.

Can you shoot a few in a less destructive back-stop and see how they hold up?

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The loads were between 11.0 and 10.5gr of A1680.

Highest velocity recorded was 1160FPS, most were around 1050FPS.
View Quote

I run coated slugs in .30 carbine up to 1,900fps with no issues.  This is a coating issue, not a velocity issue.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Then give it one(1) good wack, next examine the bullet to see if the coating is loose of flaking off.

Here is a photo of some recovered bullets.  I coated these myself with Hi-Tek from bayou bullets.

Might be that those bullets suffered coating loss at the point of impact and not inside the barrel.

View Quote

Well I actually think the beat-to-hell test was successful, even after that it was not flaking off.

I do not have a less destructive backstop to shoot, however don't think that the backstop has anything to do with the rifling marks on the bullet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well I actually think the beat-to-hell test was successful, even after that it was not flaking off.

I do not have a less destructive backstop to shoot, however don't think that the backstop has anything to do with the rifling marks on the bullet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will always have rifling mark on a fired bullet, even jacketed and solid copper.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You will always have rifling mark on a fired bullet, even jacketed and solid copper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grooves yes, but they should not cut through the coating on a coating bullet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have to, the coating is very thin.

This is a properly Powder Coated bullet.  PC is thicker than Hi-Tek.

Notice the rifling grooves.

These are properly coated Hi-Tek bullet.

Notice the rifling grooves.

This is a photo of fired Plated bullets, notice the rifling grooves and the lack of plating.

http://s338.photobucket.com/user/joe1944usa/media/Plated%20VS%20Jacketed%20Bullets/PlatedvsJacketed2.jpg.html
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I am thinking folks are really overthinking this whole thing .
Hitting the bullet with a hammer to try and predict its condition when you shoot it out of a gun seems like two very different things to me .

The only things I am going to look at are cost ,accuracy and what crap gets left behind in the barrel and what I need to do to clean that barrel .

In other words how the bullet performs when I shoot it in my guns at whatever velocity I need .

If you guys feel the hammer thing shows you anything go right ahead but I will stick to my shooting to test method.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am thinking folks are really overthinking this whole thing .
Hitting the bullet with a hammer to try and predict its condition when you shoot it out of a gun seems like two very different things to me .

The only things I am going to look at are cost ,accuracy and what crap gets left behind in the barrel and what I need to do to clean that barrel .

In other words how the bullet performs when I shoot it in my guns at whatever velocity I need .

If you guys feel the hammer thing shows you anything go right ahead but I will stick to my shooting to test method.
View Quote

They are plenty accurate, I just don't want to ruin my suppressor shooting them through it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]
In for results from the barrel cleaning.

Have a couple K of these to waiting to be loaded up for 300 and x39 subs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Contact Joel over at PP and ask him if he has had any quality control issues.  I have not had any issues out of the ones I have.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Tagging for more info as i want to try some of these if there are no leading issues.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I've run about 400 of the 203gr PP bullets through my 8.5 300blk with an AAC 7.62sd suppressor with no signs of leading. I just broke it down to try and take photos but with my iPhone all I got was blurry garbage. Bore looked great and the suppressor was a little dirty. No leading or coating that I could see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top